Bob Dylan soundtrack "Masked and Anonymous" SACD bonus
Jul 26, 2003 at 2:08 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 1

FCJ

Propz go out to his homeez at Burrz-Brownz!
Today I picked up the soundtrack to Bob Dylan's movie "Masked and Anonymous." So far it's pretty good (strange, though, to hear the non-English versions of some Dylan songs), but the big news is the bonus disk. It's a "preview" SACD, taken from the upcoming (now pushed back, unfortunately, to mid-September) SACD reissues of most of Dylan's catalog.

The sampler (the disk is called, "You Could Never Improve the Music, But Wait Until You Hear the Sound," LOL) contains seven songs:

1. All I Really Want to Do (Live)
2. Love Minus Zero/No Limit
3. Stuck Inside of Mobile (With the Memphis Blues Again)
4. Tangled Up In Blue
5. Gotta Serve Somebody
6. Moonlight
7. Cold Irons Bound

How's the sound? Well, all I can say, after playing the disk twice, is that I cannot wait for the re-releases. These songs sound incredible. Soundstage width (I never thought I would comment on soundstage on a Dylan record) is really impressive, detail is much improved, and the bass is relatively tight and well defined. I never heard the details of the organ like I heard on "Stuck Inside of Mobile (With the Memphis Blues Again). "Moonlight" from "Love and Theft" is improved from the original record (which was a pretty good recording to start with, and I have both the CD and LP), with the air around the acoustic bass and guitars beciming much more pronounced. Dylan's vocals are improved a bit, but I didn't notice a night and day difference as I did with the music.

In short, if this sampler is any indication, the SACD's will be nothing short of amazing.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back