Bluetooth rig for out and about.
Apr 7, 2015 at 4:58 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

oldmate

1000+ Head-Fier
G'Day All,

As the title suggests I'm looking at a wireless rig for my daily 2 hour walks.

I've come up with the 7th gen iPod Nano and either the Plantronics Backbeat Go 2 or Jabro Rox Bluetooth in ear headphones.Reasons being the Nano is light and has great Blutooth performance and both headphones have good reviews. Thought about the Jaybirds X but too expensive here in AU.

Any body else done something similar and just what sort of SQ will I get with Bluetooth vs wired. I realise their is a compromise but just how bad is it??

If I should go wired what in ears would you recommend that stay put and are around $100.00.

To be honest the 1st time I have actually listened to music whilst walking was today with my S3 and stock buds with Dunu Foams and it sounded surprisingly good after about 15 minutes. Brain burn in??

So I thought why not a dedicated walking and wireless solution as the cable is a pain and the S3 a little heavy however if Bluetooth is going to sound worse than the S3 then I suppose wired will have to do.

Cheers.

Apr 7, 2015 at 3:56 PM Post #2 of 4
Wired headphones will have better sound quality for the money. A bluetooth wireless IEM has to be not only an IEM, but also have a minituarized wireless transceiver, DAC, and headphone amp. That doesn't come for free.

For IEMs in your budget range, check out this list: http://www.head-fi.org/t/478568/multi-iem-review-335-iems-compared-sennheiser-momentum-in-ear-added-03-26-15-p-1050

For the price of the Nano, you should also consider the FiiO X1. :)

Apr 8, 2015 at 12:58 AM Post #3 of 4
Wired headphones will have better sound quality for the money. A bluetooth wireless IEM has to be not only an IEM, but also have a minituarized wireless transceiver, DAC, and headphone amp. That doesn't come for free.

For IEMs in your budget range, check out this list: http://www.head-fi.org/t/478568/multi-iem-review-335-iems-compared-sennheiser-momentum-in-ear-added-03-26-15-p-1050

For the price of the Nano, you should also consider the FiiO X1.
smily_headphones1.gif

Thanks for your reply.

I bit the bullet and got the 7th Gen iPod Nano today as I wanted something that weighs practically nothing and I gotta tell you so far it's pretty impressive. Nice flat EQ, it goes loud, strong Bluetooth 4.0 performance and sounds ok with the stock buds that came with my galaxy S3. So I'm definitely your average consumer and no audiophile even though I possess an X3 and iBasso DAC/AMP along with HP50's and Dunu DN1K's.

Whilst I love great sound I think it's too easy to get sucked into higher quality DAP's. This little Nano sounds OK and when I get some decent in ears to go with it I think it's going to be used often. In addition as it will be for walking and running it also has fitness tracking though basic compared to say a Polar device. It weighs nothing.

I realize with Bluetooth you are going to lose some audio quality but there are some, according to reviews, pretty decent wireless in ears available atm. I mean the top models would surely have to sound better than the Galaxy S3 headphones??

Apr 8, 2015 at 1:13 AM Post #4 of 4
i'm sure there are some decent bluetooth IEMs out there. You just pay a lot more for sound quality. And plus, I think a lot of head-fiers don't get excited about them because you are stuck with the built in dac and headphone amp. Can't upgrade. That's no fun :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back