Blues harmonica recommendations?
Apr 27, 2008 at 11:21 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

flamerz

Headphoneus Supremus
Ever since I've seen Cowboy Bebop years ago, I've always wanted to hear more soft, bluesy harmonica music like Spokey Dokey and Digging My Potato. I looked into a little bit of recommendations for harmonica, and it all seems to be faster paced and more upbeat. I'd really love to hear similar stuff to the two tracks I've mentioned...

Apr 28, 2008 at 12:33 AM Post #2 of 7
Take a look at James Harman, who accompanies many people, and Bob Corritore. Search iTunes or whatever music source you use. Both are more mellow than a Jason Ricci. Give a listen to some of Johnny Shines work. I can't remember the name of the harp player he uses, but he's good. Sorry I can't do better. I don't really focus on harmonica.

Mooch

How could I forget? Junior Wells. Check out any of his albums with Buddy Guy, starting with "Alone and Acoustic."

Apr 28, 2008 at 3:34 AM Post #5 of 7
Quote:

Originally Posted by JadeEast /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I love this guy.

YouTube - Sonny Terry & Brownie McGhee - Hootin' the Blues

One of my favorite Blues duos.

Johnny Winter, Sonny Terry, Steve Hornnick & Willie Dixon does a Nice CD called Whoopin.

Also, check out John Mayall & Paul Butterfield.

Apr 28, 2008 at 5:35 AM Post #6 of 7
John Hammond is a classic that's played for ~45 years & has played with an amazing "who's who" list, including many of the names mentioned above. He's not mellow 100% of the time, but has a lot of stuff that is just him, his National guitar, & harmonica.

Apr 28, 2008 at 2:09 PM Post #7 of 7
x2 Sonny & Brownie. Whew, awesome.

For some slower, grooving blues, how about the Charlie Musselwhite recording of "Christo Redemptor".

Users who are viewing this thread

Back