Bluedio A (Air) Wireless Bluetooth HiFi Headphone review
Oct 30, 2015 at 1:07 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 1

viperxp

100+ Head-Fier
Greetings,

This review will be dedicated to another advanced blue-tooth headphones from Bluedio, the Bluedio Air (also known as Bluedio A).

I did a review for a Bluedio H turbine once, so I have a little experience with Bluedio BT headphones, and thought that I would know how the headphones would actually sound like.

Part 1 - Physical impressions

The headphones come in a big (and surprisingly heavy) box, that has much information about the headphones and it's features.

But when you remove the outer box, you discover another hard black box. It has magnetic closing and can be used to store the headphones and the bundled stuff.

There is a small black envelop built-in the box, it contains the user-manual. The headphones and the accessories come in a carrying case, underneath a plastic cover.

User manual is not too detailed, but does not have many mistakes.

The carrying box has a carbon look, and is very nice to behold and to touch. It has even some spare place left inside of it.

Here are the phones with the bag, that contains some goodies.

A plain headphone cable (male to male)

USB cable, for charging the headphones.

A very interesting accessory. A cable that can be used with a mobile phone or any other device with headphone jack, that includes volume control. The slider controls the volume, and to my surprise there are no click or cracks heard when adjusting the volume with it.

Two male to one female cable. It's being used with computers, where you have two separate jacks for headphones and for microphone, it combines them into one.

One important note - the surroundings of the headphone jack are very narrow, and if you are intending to used cables different than the ones that come with the headphones.

Here is a comparison of the carrying case with the case that came with Koss TBSE1 (and also Pro DJ 200).

Here are the phones, with settings for minimal and maximum head size.
I have rather big head, and I only needed 3 clicks (out of possible 10), so I can suggest the headphones would fit big headed people. Regarding comfort - it's great. I am not sure how exactly, but my ears don't get as hot as they get with other closed headphones with the Bluedio. Those are on-ear headphones, but because of the soft (artificial) leather of the ear-pads, they isolate outside noise really really well, even without turning them on they cut outside noise greatly.

Most parts that you see are plastic, as you might have guessed. The headband is wrapped in pleather, with a very attractive and different English letters design. The Bluedio brand name letters seem to be laminated or glued upon the headband, so it looks to be possible to remove them.

Those are the controls. The middle button had multiple purposes. The top button is volume up button, the bottom is volume down button. Please note that the buttons are not labeled in any way (reasonable, as most probably you will operate them when anyway you won't be able to see them :) ).

Most parts of the headphones are made of plastic. They don't feel flimsy, I think they will last. Only one part (as might also be the case with the inside of the headband) seems to be made of metal, as I wrote on the picture.

The ear-pads are easily removable.

It looks like if you would like to mod those, Bluedio wouldn't mind. The driver is big (53 mm). There is some shiny residue on the outside part, I don't know what it is, but it is there.

The headband is extremely flexible. Please note, that after reading some of the reviews, and seeing pictures on the website I thought they would be too flexible. Real life proved to be better, they are not too flexible, I find the clamping force just right for my head.

Pleather also on the inside of the headband.

I've used FiiO X3 II, Ipad Air 2, and Nexus 5 for the review.

Comparison with the Koss TBSE1

Comparison with Somic MH463

Part 2 - Features

Well, the headphones are much more than just headphones.

1. Those are blue-tooth headphones, with built in microphone.
2. You can connect the headphone to a source also using a cable
3. There is an interesting option to connect another pair of headphones, and listen together to the music that is being transferred by Blue-tooth.
4. Another usage that I found for the headphones is that if you have an old receiver/amplifier that does not have blue-tooth, you can use the headphones to stream music from your BT devices.
5. There is one EQ setting, the 3D Surround that can be used only when the headphones are connected by blue-tooth. More about it in "sound" section of my review.

Those headphones do deliver. Every advertised feature works. The BT connected to both my Ipad Air 2 and to Nexus 5, without needing any pass-code. I did not experience any unexpected behavior with those headphones.

Some notes:

1. I found the minimal volume on BT connection a bit loud for me
2. When I managed to connect the Koss TBSE1 headphones to the Bluedio they could not drive the Koss properly (those are power hungry headphones, in spite of having only 38 ohm impedance). So , if you are intending to run some HD600's from those ... forget it.
3. I used the headphones for about a week before writing the review, and they are very comfortable on the head, in spite of having the on-ear design.

Part 3 - Sound

Well, when I got those I was a little bit biased. I remember the last Bluedio headphones that I reviewed, and the sound wasn't exactly to my liking. They had mostly a lot of bass, and a lot of features. So, knowing that we are living in a world where cutting costs is a common expression, I expected to get similar, of that type of sound in the new Bluedio A. But I was wrong.
The Bluedio Air (A) sound very good. Even very very good. I think that they will get a very positive reactions from 99% of non-audiophile audience. The Bluedio's have a lot of bass, clear mids and not too piercing mids. The sound is very ... mature I think would be a right expression. They sound good, with every type of music I tried, but I liked them the most with metal, as the think bass of the Bluedio really shines there. But also with Jass, Classics, Pop, EMB, 80's they provide a very pleasurable experience.
I don't think that Bluedio's sound the way they sound just in case. They are made that way intentionally, to be easily liked by maximum amount of people, and it is good.
After hearing the Bluedio, and comparing to other headphones that I have, here are my conclusions.

1. They sound best with my FiiO. Not a big surprise...
2. The headphones are very sensitive, they get really loud on a relatively moderate volume levels.
3. The greatest feature of the headphones is the bass, there is a lot of it.
4. The sound-stage is somewhat narrow.
5. On a moderate-high volume levels the bass bleeds to higher frequencies, making voices and high notes drown and sound not clear.
6. There is a lot of bass, but not a lot of sub-bass. Especially easy to notice when compared to Somic MH463.
7. 3D Surround. I did not like it at all. I think it does the opposite of it's description, narrowing the sound-stage and messing with the bass. Some people like it .. well, not me.

Conclusion

I was really surprised by the Bluedio's. They really sound good, and are really delivering a lot of features for the price. I think that they are a great purchase, especially at their current discounted price (60$) at GearBest .

-----

The headphones were provided for the review by www.gearbest.com

Users who are viewing this thread

Back