Blu-Spec CD - Seriously, Sony. Stop it.
Nov 5, 2008 at 7:31 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 26

Edwood

1/2 hamster, 1/2 Turkish∙ Blueteething
Sony, stop making up new optical disc formats that no one wants.

Translated version of http://www.sme.co.jp/pressrelease/images/20081105.pdf

You can bet Blu-Spec CD specs calls for tons of crippling DRM as well.

I guess when Sony finally bankrupts themselves, they might learn. Funny thing is that Blu-Spec CD didn't come out of nowhere to simply compete against an upcoming standard gathering mulitlateral industry support.

Well, unless you want to count CD audio.
Oh, wait. Sony already makes royalties on that one with Philips. So that means Sony is trying to create a format war with themselves?

-Ed

Nov 5, 2008 at 8:15 AM Post #2 of 26
I don't understand this either, I mean isn't the need for physical media going away? If ATRAC wasn't bad enough, now Sony unleashes this crap on us. SACD/DVDA don't have enough titles as is, what makes Sony think Blu-Spec CD will be any different?

Nov 5, 2008 at 8:24 AM Post #3 of 26
Doesn't format creation cost money? You'd think Sony of all companies would know when to call it quits, they took a huge gamble with bluray, and now that HDDVD is dead, at least they can look forward to making some money from it.

Must be the work of the some of the old-timers at Sony
frown.gif

Nov 5, 2008 at 8:45 AM Post #4 of 26
What you moaning about now? Ooh, 60 titles of classical and jazz in a proprietary format, how will the world cope with this atrocity...

Obviously the most niche market in the world (japanese only press release?), I'm not really seeing what the problem is here. These titles aren't exclusive to Blu-spec, CDs aren't disappearing overnight, why is anyone complaining about more availability of high quality audio content (especially Head-Fiers)?

confused.gif

EK

Nov 5, 2008 at 9:53 AM Post #6 of 26
Quote:

Originally Posted by skamp /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Dudes, it's just a regular audio CD but with allegedly better material and a more precise laser. It's still 16bit/44.1kHz PCM with no DRM.

So... Sony developed a "new" format with the same quality as Red Book while abandoning SACD that has five channel capability and higher resolution.

Any wonder why more people are turning to vinyl?

Nov 5, 2008 at 11:04 AM Post #8 of 26
Great timing, Sony! The whole world is falling into recession, and they come out with a new format. I think the CD and DVD will stick around, and all the other optical formats will be footnotes in audio/video history.

Why are they always coming up with the wrong technological solution? We don't need a new and brilliant format, we need well-recorded music, and that is not being done very much. The other day I found a Sheffield Labs CD at a garage sale (cheap!) and though I didn't much care for the music, the recording quality was awesome, especially the dynamics, and this coming from the ordinary, humble, plain-jane, CD format. No, we don't need no stinkin' new format!

Laz

Nov 5, 2008 at 1:51 PM Post #9 of 26
If my broken english doesn't fail me...

It says it meets the redbook standard guys, it's not a new format. They just use a different laser to cut the master die when they are manufacturing. The laser is cooled in some novel way so that fans that cause vibration aren't required.
Sony and JVC have done similar things before and the technological improvements are welcome in my opinion.
On these "improved" CDs that have been marketed before (and currently I believe) the recording/mastering quality is excellent. There is no reason to assume these 60 titles will be any different.
Of course the titles are limited and costly.

I suspect that in order to earn the "blu-spec" label the mastering will have to be superb. Otherwise there is no point showing off. So I think this is good news.

edit: I mean that they'll probably choose only well mastered recordings to release with this blu-spec sticker on the package.
And why no love for redbook? It sounds superb when done well (recording/mastering/pressing/playing)

Nov 5, 2008 at 3:37 PM Post #10 of 26
MOD EDIT: Similar thread merged with this one.

Now ,Sony has come up with new audio format i.e Blue Spec CD .According to Engadget ,Blue Spec cd will be compatible with normal cd players .

sme1.jpg

Quote:

Sony's back with a new format by the name Blu-spec CD. It takes advantage of (you guessed it) Sony's Blu-ray Disc technology to press new high-quality discs while somehow maintaining compatibility with regular ol' red-laser CD players. How? No idea, really -- it's some kind of secret, proprietary Sony magic hidden deep inside of Google's Japanese-to-English language translator. Perhaps an English press release will be issued later in the day. It does seem that Sony will kick out about 60 Blu-spec CD classics (Miles Davis' Kind of Blue for example) in December ranging in prices from ¥2,500 (about $25) to ¥4,200 ($42). Ouch.

source :

SMEABD‚Ì‹Zp‚ðŽg‚Á‚½‚‰¹Ž¿CDuBlu-spec CDv

http://www.engadget.com/2008/11/05/sony-tu...ec-cd-standard/

and thanks to Pata of Audiostation for information .

Nov 5, 2008 at 4:02 PM Post #11 of 26
Uncle Erik;4950117 said:
So... Sony developed a "new" format with the same quality as Red Book while abandoning SACD that has five channel capability and higher resolution.

Sony have abandoned SACD??!!
Say it ain't so!
angry_face.gif

Nov 5, 2008 at 4:57 PM Post #14 of 26
Please say that Sony don't plan to abandon SACD for this one.
very_evil_smiley.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back