Blood on the Tracks Remaster
Apr 5, 2009 at 11:36 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

tintin47

Headphoneus Supremus
Normally when I see the word "remaster" on a disc I run in the other direction, but the (new? I hadn't seen them before) remasters of some of Bob Dylan's catalogue intrigued me, especially because Dylan is very anti-loudness war. I bought Blood on the Tracks remastered on a whim yesterday, and after 3 times through, I have to say that they did a fantastic job. It blows my other CD copy from a few years back out of the water.

There is a little extra volume added on the new one, but it isn't detrimental in any way. There is nowhere near enough volume added to clip or damage dynamics in anyway, and you have to AB the two to hear any change. Any other experiences with Dylan remasters or other particularly good remasters of other artists?

Apr 6, 2009 at 3:16 AM Post #2 of 9
The Dylan remasters are superb. I have every Dylan album released domestically, however, so I had to be very selective as to which of the remasters I purchased. Blood on the Tracks obviously made the cut.

I think most remasters I've purchased (and I've purchased a ton) were worth getting, especially if comparing them to the first generation CD transfers, which universally suck. Unfortunately, in excess of a third of my collection falls into the latter category.

Right now, in fact, I'm listening to the Who "Live at Leeds" 1995 remaster and loving it. Of course, I sold my vinyl sometime in the 80s, so I can't compare it to that.
normal_smile .gif

If you like classic rock, I would recommend the recent Stones remasters. Particulary Beggars Banquet.

Apr 6, 2009 at 4:06 AM Post #3 of 9
Thanks for the tip. I will definitely try to find it. Has anyone ever done a Pet Sounds remaster?

Apr 6, 2009 at 4:14 AM Post #5 of 9
I have the SACD box set and I think it's rather good. However, I prefer my Dylan in mono.
smily_headphones1.gif

Apr 6, 2009 at 7:01 PM Post #6 of 9
Mono is always fun for me, but there have only been a few albums where I thought the mono was better/more fun/more interesting than the stereo mix. The only two that jump to mind are Pet Sounds and Sgt. Peppers.

Apr 6, 2009 at 7:33 PM Post #8 of 9
I have no idea how new it is. I just know that my other copy is from between 7 and 10 years ago, so just newer than that. I haven't bought any of his stuff in a few years, so it jumped out at me as new. The disc is copyrighted 05, so it is probably from then.

Apr 7, 2009 at 3:32 AM Post #9 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by LFF /img/forum/go_quote.gif
However, I prefer my Dylan in mono.
smily_headphones1.gif

Dude, that's hardcore. I consider myself one-upped. I'm sure if Dylan listened to Dylan, that's how he would do it.
normal_smile .gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back