Blocking calls in an iPhone
Mar 28, 2010 at 4:57 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

mrarroyo

Headphoneus Supremus
I have found two possible solutions to this issue and would like to know if there are other alternatives. For now I can either pay $5 USD to AT&T every month or I can download a silent ring tone and assign it to all the callers I do not care for. However when the silent ring is use their number would show up on recent calls and they can still leave voice messages. So, does anyone have another method to block calls on an iPhone. Thanks.

Note: I use a PC and not a MAC to synchronize the iPhone.

Mar 28, 2010 at 5:37 PM Post #2 of 12
Not being an iPhone user, it is my experience that the ability of blocking incoming calls is solely available to your carrier and not your device.

EDIT: Or you may change some sort of a setting to 'contacts only' or something similar. I believe.

EDIT II: This.

Mar 28, 2010 at 7:29 PM Post #6 of 12
Why jailbreak? I'm not an iPhone / iPod Touch user, but I just don't see the point. You are voiding the warranty and putting your device at risk just to install a couple of new apps.

Mar 28, 2010 at 7:33 PM Post #7 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by 3602 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Why jailbreak? I'm not an iPhone / iPod Touch user, but I just don't see the point. You are voiding the warranty and putting your device at risk just to install a couple of new apps.

Really ???

Mar 28, 2010 at 7:49 PM Post #8 of 12
If I don't answer my cell phone, I have it set up to forward to my home phone which has call blocking. I do have a few people I never want to talk to in my blocked list. It works beautifully
evil_smiley.gif

Mar 28, 2010 at 7:52 PM Post #9 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by beamthegreat /img/forum/go_quote.gif
then jailbreak it

Some of us go with the program. I keep a MacBook around running OS X so I can use the iPhone and iPod. I don't have the time to fuss around with various hacks and possibly lose (temporarily) the use of something I depend on.

Spare me the rhetoric - I also run Linux and am an open source believer. However, I am open minded enough to see the value in some closed systems. For me - and many others - Apple offers a huge amount of convenience and utility.

There's also something to be said for playing by the rules. 100% of my music is legal, too.

Not to derail the thread, though, because I am also interested in blacklisting some numbers. Or possibly whitelisting numbers. Either would work for me and I don't want to pay another $5 to AT&T each month. I give them more than enough already.

Mar 28, 2010 at 9:55 PM Post #10 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by azncookiecutter /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If you're jailbroken, iBlacklist on Cydia does this.

If I'm not mistaken, Cydia just helps find cracked iPhone apps, so wouldn't that iBlacklist app then exist for purchasing from the iTunes store?

Mar 28, 2010 at 10:43 PM Post #11 of 12
No, Cydia is like an installer for software not approved by Apple.

If it's not approved by Apple, it wasn't played by their rules, and won't be on the App Store.

Mar 28, 2010 at 11:39 PM Post #12 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by Landis /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If I'm not mistaken, Cydia just helps find cracked iPhone apps, so wouldn't that iBlacklist app then exist for purchasing from the iTunes store?

you're incredibly mistaken

jailbreaking enables the usage of cydia which essentially allows the distribution of "homebrew" and themes. although people can distribute illegal apps on cydia, that is not its intended purpose.

also iblacklist is not allowable on apple's store as it gives functionality that apple does not want on the iphone (or is just too lazy to put on the phone).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back