Black Sabbath 2001 box set
Jun 11, 2003 at 7:44 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

eastsidemetalhd

100+ Head-Fier
just saw this Sabbath box set comprising of the first 8 albums, each in the original LP style sleeves - any opinions on this reissue? am very tempted to get it, as i only have Master Of Reality on disc, and hell, break down the price and it's only like 5 bux apiece...

Jun 27, 2003 at 2:57 AM Post #2 of 12
You mean this thing?

B00004Y3CQ.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

Disc: 1
1. Evil Woman
2. Wicked World

Disc: 2
1. Paranoid
2. Wizard

Disc: 3
1. Tomorrow's Dream
2. Laguna Sunrise

Disc: 4
1. Sabbath Bloody Sabbath
2. Changes

Disc: 5
1. Never Say Die
2. She's Gone

Disc: 6
1. Hard Road
2. Symptom of the Universe

Jun 27, 2003 at 12:35 PM Post #3 of 12
I have to say I really don't like any "album replica" style sleeve package.......these are terrible idea!

1)graphics really aren't much bigger vs jewel case

2)no booklet with CD like jewel case version

3)CD will get scuffed/scratched and/or finger printed when removing from sleeve

4)no edge graphic and taller vs jewel case so your CD shelf storage system gets screwed up

To sum up..........album replica packages suck!

Also do you really want to change CDs every two songs??????
(There is also a set of albums with sleeve package)

B00005Q3W0.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

If you buy a complete set you at least get a booklet but other problems remain.

Jun 28, 2003 at 4:01 AM Post #4 of 12
yeah, i was referring to the 1970-78 album set. am still trying to figure out how to shelve the damn thing, though. have slotted the cds into empty CDR cases, so at least that removes the problem of scratched/fingerprinted cds.

and changing cds every 2 songs is really silly. which is the main reason why i don't buy singles. assuming i could actually find something i wanted on a single, that is
biggrin.gif

Jun 30, 2003 at 11:53 PM Post #5 of 12
Quote:

Originally posted by eastsidemetalhd
just saw this Sabbath box set comprising of the first 8 albums, each in the original LP style sleeves - any opinions on this reissue? am very tempted to get it, as i only have Master Of Reality on disc, and hell, break down the price and it's only like 5 bux apiece...

Well I went ahead and got the set, since I checked it out further. Got at Amazon for $58 from CD Quest (still have two sets for sale) These are really cool because although CDs come in paper sleeves, several album replicas are gatefolds that open (some with additional pages) and master of reality has folded poster included with cool band shot........This is best album replica set I have seen!

I have not listened to all Cds yet, but I have been happy with Castle reissues of other bands albums as far as sound quality, will know more later. I think these are remasters but not stated in general info with set, 8 Cds for $58 not bad deal even if last two albums are somewhat weak efforts.
cool.gif

Jul 1, 2003 at 4:51 PM Post #9 of 12
Quote:

Originally posted by Matthew-Spaltro
The 1996 castle remasters are a mixed affair for me. Some of the remastered verisons are as bad if not worse than the original warner brothers recordings.

Matt...........you have taken the bloom off my rose
frown.gif

I will have to listen to these in more detail but I have a remaster of "master of reality" and I remember thinking it wasn't really much better vs old CD. ( and just now looking closely I see it is Castle version)

Jul 2, 2003 at 5:06 PM Post #11 of 12
Quote:

Originally posted by Matthew-Spaltro
The 1996 castle remasters are a mixed affair for me. Some of the remastered verisons are as bad if not worse than the original warner brothers recordings.

Matt
I have listened to first two Cds:
-s/t
-paranoid
and I think the remasters here are better vs old CD for me, treble is very natural (not thin glassy bright etc) so I am happy camper so far............other Cds in set may be different.

I have to say again this is great packaging, for instance s/t album
you get glossy full cover image and gatefold opens revealing inverted cross and large logo.........this is nowhere to be found on Cd version!

Jul 3, 2003 at 11:14 PM Post #12 of 12
Well not sure if these are the 1996 Castle remasters that Matt doesn't like or newer redone versions, but just listen to entire Sabbath set and they sound very good to me for their age, don't remember any of the old Cds sounding as good or better (and I have several of them). Matt is spoiled by Deep Purple "machine head" 30th anniversary cd sound, he he.

Already discussed the cool packaging, this is great deal if you ask me.
cool.gif

Now listening to Sabbath (Dio era):
-mob rules
-heaven & hell
You can tell these were influenced by NWOBHM because they are straight ahead rockers like Judas Priest, Iron Maiden etc. The last couple Ozzy Sabbath albums actually were getting progressive & jazzy elements with heavy synth thrown into the mix.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back