Black Female Jazz singers
Mar 2, 2007 at 2:57 AM Post #16 of 71
She may be white, but Kay Starr's early lamplighter sessions are among some of the best jazz vocals ever recorded.

Jazz doesn't have a color. It doesn't even have a nationality. It's the art form of the 20th century.

See ya
Steve

Mar 2, 2007 at 3:18 AM Post #17 of 71
Laverne Butler

It is hard for me to believe that no one has mentioned Laverne.

Mar 2, 2007 at 3:21 AM Post #18 of 71
Quote:

Originally Posted by bigshot /img/forum/go_quote.gif
She may be white, but Kay Starr's early lamplighter sessions are among some of the best jazz vocals ever recorded.

She was great in her prime. Not that it matters, but she was primarily of American Indian descent.

Mar 2, 2007 at 5:57 AM Post #19 of 71
Amazing how sheltered some folks are.

Anyway I checked a lot of these recommendations out on the amazon sound clips and Nina Simone was exactly what I was looking for. I knew of Holiday, etc but the recordings are so old that the sound quality gets in the way. Simone sounds like the real deal.

Thankyou

Nov 24, 2008 at 10:33 PM Post #23 of 71
Ella Fitzgerald
Billie Holiday
Dinah Washington
Sarah Vaughn
Nancy Wilson

In that order, but personally I would put Nancy ahead of Sarah but I feel most people will disagree.

Sorry I forgot to mention Etta, cram her in anywhere you like!
biggrin.gif

Nov 24, 2008 at 11:35 PM Post #24 of 71
undead zombie thread... back from the grave!

BRAINS!! JAZZ SINGERS! BRAINS!!!

eek.gif

Nov 24, 2008 at 11:47 PM Post #25 of 71
Quote:

Originally Posted by regal /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Anyway I checked a lot of these recommendations out on the amazon sound clips and Nina Simone was exactly what I was looking for. I knew of Holiday, etc but the recordings are so old that the sound quality gets in the way. Simone sounds like the real deal.

Thankyou

Since you've found Nina Simone may I suggest this CD, it's two of her best LP's on one disc. Used on Amazon for $7.99.

41RTBR67HEL._SS500_.jpg

Nov 26, 2008 at 11:12 AM Post #26 of 71
Billie Holidays for sure ^ ^

Nov 26, 2008 at 11:13 AM Post #27 of 71
Quote:

Originally Posted by Feather225 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Billie Holidays for sure ^ ^

Sorry Meant Billie Holiday ^ ^

Nov 26, 2008 at 1:17 PM Post #29 of 71
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sleestack /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Anyway, some great recommendations. An album that I picked up by chance that turned out to be quite good: Paula West, "Come What May." Apparently a Bay area singer.

Yup, Paula's the contemporary singer who upholds the tradition. Try her disc Restless.

Nov 26, 2008 at 5:33 PM Post #30 of 71
Quote:

Originally Posted by ken36 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Is this racist?

Only to those who want to turn this into a discussion about racism. To everyone else this thread is about music.

--Jerome

Users who are viewing this thread

Back