Birthday present for myself, help wanted
Mar 14, 2012 at 11:50 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 2

kenman345

Headphoneus Supremus
So I guess I should apologize for making yet another thread asking for help, with other threads for each of my needs already well developed on the forums, but I have found it hard to collect the information I am looking for.

I like to get a birthday present for myself each year, and this year I turn 21, as well as it being only a few months since I have gotten into the Head-Fi world and would like to get myself a nice portable setup for sub-$1000. My normal music choices range to most every genre, but I mainly listen to music that is more bass heavy, making it so I want something that's good for a basshead but not so focused on the bass that i can't dial it down through the source or amp I use when I wish to do so.

I was looking at the HiSound Rocoo P and HiSound Rocoo BA models as a new portable source for myself, and with the deal currently going for the price of IEM's being the discount on the player, this seems like a nice way to have more earbuds or at least sell them in the future to offset the price I paid for the player. 

The earbuds from HiSound will obviously be a welcomed addition to my collection, but seeing as it's a birthday present to myself, why not go a bit further, right? So I was looking into 1964 Ears for a Custom IEM. 
Their are two different setups I have come up with for what I would want. I feel that based on reviews that the Quad Drivers would be the best bet for the performance I want, but the price point is a bit of an issue, as well as I am not sure about the source I will be using to drive them. The other option I was thinking about would be to get the UE TripleFi 10's and get them remolded through 1964 Ears. This would save me about $200. 

The main reason I like the 1964 Ears CIEM's is the fact that I have read that the fit of CIEM's may be a bit weird if you have never used them before and as I am not growing, but hopefully losing a bit of weight, their option of soft canals seems like a good bet to help get used to the feel for the CIEM's and a bit more forgiving while I lose weight before I would consider getting a remold done.

The combination of any of these sources and CIEM's has not truly been covered, at least by my searching, on this forum. 

Also of note is that I have a 64Gb MicroSDXC that works with MicroSDHC compatible devices, so I would have plenty of storage for my music on either device I would get. 

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks for your time

Mar 19, 2012 at 7:34 PM Post #2 of 2
I decided to get the Aurisonics AS-1b's and used some Gamestop credit I had to get a 5.5G iPod to eventually iMod and upgrade the HDD. I also plan on getting the Headstage Arrow 4G to combine with the iMod'd iPod. I feel this is a great route for me as I was hoping to reduce the stack I carry and While it all will cost me a pretty penny, it will be both portable and excellent in sound. With no power button on the Arrow 4G I wouldn't have to fidget with the amp if its attached to the back of the iPod and ready to go at all times. The only reason to touch it is to change the levels and gain, which would be easy to do and also dealt with after I pick my music choice. 

While their were no replies on the thread, I appreciate the few PM's I received about my situation and will be posting on the appropriate threads as I receive/purchase each portion of this portable setup I have dreamt up.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back