Binaural microphones
Dec 21, 2006 at 11:07 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

Carl

Headphoneus Supremus
Having recently aquired myself an equaliser, I've started thinking about getting myself a pair of binaural microphones to measure up my system and possibly make a few ghetto binaural recordings.

Does anyone have any experiences with binaural headphones, or suggestions on which one to buy? I obviously can't afford a fancy Neumann dummy head, but I'm after something at least fairly good.

Dec 22, 2006 at 6:54 AM Post #2 of 4
Why not get a styrofoam head off eBay and start experimenting? You can find them around $5 USD and not have to worry so much about ruining them. Personally, I'd dig out the ear canals and stick some microphones in there, then cover the head with something like the bedliner spray for trucks. I'd think it'd be a little skin-like and would absorb sound to lessen reflections. Then make some recordings and see what happens when if you tweak it.

Please post again if you make some recordings- a lot of us are very interested in binaural sound.

Dec 22, 2006 at 9:48 AM Post #3 of 4
Quote:

Originally Posted by Uncle Erik /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Why not get a styrofoam head off eBay and start experimenting? You can find them around $5 USD and not have to worry so much about ruining them. Personally, I'd dig out the ear canals and stick some microphones in there, then cover the head with something like the bedliner spray for trucks. I'd think it'd be a little skin-like and would absorb sound to lessen reflections. Then make some recordings and see what happens when if you tweak it.

Please post again if you make some recordings- a lot of us are very interested in binaural sound.

Certainly creating my own dummy head is going to be a DIY project somewhere down the line, but I'm going to need some microphones for it, else it'll just be a glorified headphone stand.

Dec 24, 2006 at 8:03 AM Post #4 of 4
I use Sonic Studio's DSM 6S/M mics for binaural and HRTF (Head Related Transfer Function - similar to binaural) recordings.

http://www.sonicstudios.com/

The inventor makes the products himself, and will devote hours to answer your questions without a hassle via his 800 number.

Terry

Users who are viewing this thread

Back