Bigsby’s top cans for 2013: ep1 Soundmagic HP100- The Beyer Slayer, The Mid Monster, The Detail Demon.
Mar 5, 2013 at 10:29 AM Post #32 of 94
Quote:
If there is one pair of headphones I'd like to hear, it's the HP300. If the HP100 can sound that good with plastic cups then wood cups should take it to the next level. I am now on the hunt for these.
smily_headphones1.gif

Can't say if it is true but a distributor of HP100 told me that the HP300 is not on mass production.

Apparantly, the manufacturer standard contact form entertain group buy though:

http://soundmagic.appliances-china.com/Product_Look.php?ID=234539

Mar 6, 2013 at 5:10 AM Post #34 of 94
Damn, it sucks to be Canadian when it comes to Amazon.com. They won't ship here for some stupid reason and I'm dying to get these. I've been forced to try and barter with folks in HK. At least they want my business. Sorry, off topic but its frustrating when its a magical line that bars me from great deals.
confused.gif

Absolutely EVERY review I have scoured on the net has been crazy positive for this headphone, its amazing. The only negative is the difficulty in getting ones hands on a pair if you live outside the US. Too bad because I'm sure Soundmagic could sell tons of these if they were better marketed. I hope someone from them reads this and sees just how well recieved and how difficult many people find getting a set.So many others are getting all the attention like Momentums, Amperiors, M100s, AKG 550 and Tiesto line while these sit quietly in the back annihilating them all. 

Mar 6, 2013 at 5:32 AM Post #35 of 94
So tempted to get one after seeing such gd review! Surprising, I chugged it aside after listening to it for a few mins. I guessed I should hv given it more air time esp. after listening to HE-500 and HE6 beforehand!

Mar 6, 2013 at 5:32 AM Post #36 of 94
Try noisymotel.com im almost certain he will ship them for you dude. I know he ships FA-011 all over the world for forum members here. 
I feel you, these are seriously unrecognised, underpaid, overachievers! 

Mar 9, 2013 at 5:14 AM Post #37 of 94
THis track on the WA7 +HP100 just gave me crazy goosebumps in the BEST of ways!!!
Inga Liljestrom - Coming Back, from Gotye album; Mixed Blood

THe whole album is one of my all time favorites for high quality gear, this track in particular is recorded with some pretty innovative and primitive techniques, and is a real treat with the right gear! 

Mar 13, 2013 at 7:05 AM Post #38 of 94
Nice review, i am now tempted to buy a pair and try them out. Any one compared them to the amperiors/d2000's? Thanks

Quote:
Damn, it sucks to be Canadian when it comes to Amazon.com. They won't ship here for some stupid reason and I'm dying to get these. I've been forced to try and barter with folks in HK. At least they want my business. Sorry, off topic but its frustrating

Have you considered ordering them from a dealer in the UK, like http://www.hifiheadphones.co.uk/soundmagic-hp100-closed-back-headphones-hp100-prodid-4393.html. They ship to Canada.

Mar 19, 2013 at 7:24 AM Post #39 of 94
O.K. got one. I agree with another review that these need some initial run-in before showing their potential.

Some may disagree, but these are actually reminiscent of the KRK 8400 for me. Both are incisive, agile and most importantly has a very similar transparent screen like tonality. In fact I guess the only area that I found somewhat lacking with these phones are timbre and tonality, they are like distilled water transparent, but the tonal colors are stripped away. Suffice to say if you are looking for dark or rich sounding cans like HD650 these are not for you.

The biggest difference between the Soundmagic and KRK is the bass region, where a few members have the impressions that the KRK has a tendency towards lean and lacking. The Soundmagic is more balanced while still being short of bass heavy. My humble opinion, these are very good contenders for the price but not giant slayer.

Mar 19, 2013 at 8:03 AM Post #40 of 94
interesting reply, thanks!

There must be different stock out there or something. I found the 3-4 pairs ive tried (and one i own) to be very bass orientated to my ears, musical, but very revealing and even. The strangest of combinations, almost an oxymoron. 

Mine also required no break in and sounded the same out of the box as they do now. 

Very odd, im almost tempted to send you my pair- are you in Australia?

Mar 19, 2013 at 8:17 AM Post #41 of 94
These have been on my To Buy list since I've heard about them the other month.  Soon...

Mar 19, 2013 at 6:07 PM Post #43 of 94
from Random Kids thread 
"I think the full body of the bass helps as like this they don’t sound cold or thin and give an overall great body to the sound. I find the amount of bass perfect, if slightly above neutral."

I agree here, however to my ears they are quite bassy- in a very good way, not your typical messy bass can, extremely classy.

I gotta be frank i cant stop wearing these, none of my other cans get a look in other than my FA011 on occasion as they sound so good with the C5. However the WA7 prefers the HP100 (and other even steven honest cans). 

THats a good point, have you tried other amps? they are 32ohm, but they sound pretty unimpressive without power.

Mar 21, 2013 at 5:53 PM Post #45 of 94
Quote:
I still listen to my HP100s almost exclusively. They just do everything right.

+1

I think that maybe due to the cable being hidden in the frame work and even being inside a joint that can turn almost 90 degrees, there must be an early batch in the US without perfect connection or something. The only reviews ive ever read stating these are super flat (like the BS diagram on the box), or that they arent that bassy or need burn in, all come from the US. All Asian, UK, and Aust reviews seem to read more like my personal experience with them. Personally mine sounded great right out of the box. They didnt change much at all, their still great! Oodles of tight clean bass, however when you use any overly zealous bass boost they do go a bit sloppy- as they have plenty to start with. 

Again, my new go-to cans. I've been taking them everywhere and comparing to anything i can regardless of price range, and to my ears these are so far undefeated champs in regarding to tiicking all the boxes, from overall signature, to comfort, to potability, weight, everything. Im hooked.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back