Dreamslacker

500+ Head-Fier
BBamp_completed_3PV_med.jpg

Some ****:
BBamp_completed_innards_med.jpg

BBamp_innards_grey.jpg

RC filtered + Filtered zener power supply:
power_supply.jpg

One channel of the amp. Currently testing the sound of AD843's. Otherwise, I'd be using the OPA627's in the amp. They run hot (60'C) but I'd only heatsink them once I decide which opamp I want to use.
opamp_closeup.jpg

cascode_closeup.jpg

Paired up with my DT931's:
amp_dt931.jpg

Borrowed a pair of SR-225's from a friend for auditioning (fantastic synergy here):
amp_grados.jpg

Aug 28, 2004 at 5:28 AM Post #2 of 15
Cool case.. part # and vendor?

Aug 28, 2004 at 5:32 AM Post #3 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by pabbi1
Cool case.. part # and vendor?

I bought it at a local (Singapore) shop selling electronics and electrical parts. I believe it's an el'cheapo, generic case that's made in Taiwan/ China. I do not know if you're able to get it online.
It at least comes with a 2mm thick, black anodised aluminium faceplate.

Aug 28, 2004 at 5:55 AM Post #5 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by comabereni
Nice-looking amp. Nice case. Great photos. How does it sound?

Just one thing wrong with it--it's not mine.

icon10.gif

I prefer it to every other amp I've heard so far including but not limited to:
Antness KGCA V1 & V2, Headroom Airhead, MF X-cans (with Pinkfloyd mods), Corda HA1-MKI (with and w/o Blue mods), HA2, Prehead, entire Creek line, Naim Headline, maxed out META42's...

For the Prehead/ HA2 and the HA1 with similar mods to the Corda Blue mods, they're actually very fine sounding but it boils down to personal preference. I don't feel the Prehead is inferior in any way. It just has a subtly different type of sound.

Sep 1, 2004 at 5:51 AM Post #7 of 15
wow awesome case! its like a mini-rackmount
biggrin.gif

any idea who makes it i would love to make a lil mini rack of audio components for my pc
biggrin.gif

also why are your opamps runnign so hot
eek.gif

Sep 2, 2004 at 7:53 AM Post #11 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by chillysalsa
What design is it? I second the call for schematics!
smily_headphones1.gif

Its his own original design. So you're probably not going to see any schematics.
biggrin.gif

Here's a look at an earlier version of the Big Ben that Dreamslacker built, which I ended up buying.
smily_headphones1.gif

rev2signal.jpg

Signal section. That's a pretty big heatsink for the 4 opa627bp opamps. Yeah, I know, everything's hidden by the heatsink.

rev2signalcaps.jpg

Close-up of the coupling caps(Hovland Musicaps). Look carefully under the board you can see a film cap peeking out. There are 4 of them under the board. 1 for bypassing each opamp.

rev2jacks.jpg

Close-up of the 2 Neutrik combi-jacks. 5N (99.999%) teflon insulated silver wire is used for the entire signal section.

rev2psu.jpg

The power supply section. Transformer is a Talema encapsulated model.

rev2psucaps.jpg

Close-up of the power supply caps.

rev2xlr.jpg

DT880s plugged into the twin Neutrik combi-jacks. You can also drive 2 headphones with normal 1/4inch plugs.

rev2.jpg

One final look at the signal and psu sections side by side. Both are separately cased and connected via XLR jacks on the back.

Sep 3, 2004 at 1:58 PM Post #12 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by flecom
also why are your opamps runnign so hot
eek.gif

Try biasing opamps with 10mA or more of current and see if they run hot..
biggrin.gif

Sep 3, 2004 at 2:03 PM Post #13 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by chillysalsa
What design is it? I second the call for schematics!
smily_headphones1.gif

Took me 1 year of R&D to come up with the design.. Naturally, I can't throw it all away. It's a basic design, Class A, global feedback loop with a few tricks thrown in. All tricks taken from META42, PPA, CHA47, HA1-MK I, XP7 etc..

A good mix & match of designs and experience was what it took to come up with this.

Sep 4, 2004 at 2:39 AM Post #14 of 15
i see 4 opamps there..
is it something like CH47, opamp buffered by another opamp, and biased into class-A??

but interesting class A biasing circuit, 2 Fets and a VR (I think so). good idea..

anyway, the pic is not clear. can you show us the class A biasing method you used?

Sep 5, 2004 at 1:59 AM Post #15 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by yongchao
i see 4 opamps there..
is it something like CH47, opamp buffered by another opamp, and biased into class-A??

but interesting class A biasing circuit, 2 Fets and a VR (I think so). good idea..

anyway, the pic is not clear. can you show us the class A biasing method you used?

It's not quite as simple as that. =)
I've built a CHA47 before, it doesn't match up.. FYI, opamps buffered with opamps can also be seen in Corda amps.

The Class A biasing is the same as in the PPA. Cascode Jfets.

I believe how the amp ultimately sounds like is a reflection of the builder. The design, layout, method of connection and parts used all affect the sound of the amp.
The end-state is, if you're going to use the cheapest parts possible, it's not going to do a good design any justice. In fact, such a practice would be an insult.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back