Bicycle-Fi!
Oct 29, 2013 at 9:58 AM Post #2,971 of 4,428
Here pics of my no-name telescopic "Black Mamba" from China

- it can do to approx 8 atm ( but it is workout, and you have to be careful not to snap the valve ):

Tape around top tube below handle when folded prevents it to impersonate Rattlesnake

It has a lever that really does seal around the valve well

It does presta and schroeder valves by unscrewing this nut and reversing the position of the rubber seal. Not exactly convinient to change, but it does seal much better than other systems.

The only alphanumerical "whatever" found.

Cheap, cheerful and faithful companion on the road. I will really miss it if and when it goes RIP.

Oct 29, 2013 at 11:20 AM Post #2,972 of 4,428

smiley_thumb.gif
 Part of the workout! I agree on the time and effort and set priorities - I always want the rear tire to receive the best! The front too, but I'm willing to work at it. As far as costs go, there are hidden costs. I'm always concerned with the environment.

Is this something that can be refilled, recycled?

The cartridges cannot usually be refilled, since they are simply pierced on the top, and do not have a valve (such as a scuba tank would).  However they are usually made of steel, and can thus be recycled easily! 

And remember, the CO2 in them is simply extracted from the air, not generated through any kind of chemical reaction - so you are essentially taking it out of the air, and then putting it back into the air, for a net CO2 emission of zero.

Now granted, a minute amount of electricity is used to compress the CO2 into the cartridge, and energy is used to smelt the steel... but this is usually done locally, so the transportation CO2 emissions are much smaller than, say, buying a pump from China.  Not to mention the toxic emissions from the plastics work, and the extra pollution from rebuying pumps after they break after 3 uses :p 

Oct 29, 2013 at 1:47 PM Post #2,973 of 4,428
Great! I was also concerned about the physical empties, don't want to litter. Guess I'll keep 'em and return home from the ride. Then drop off a big bag of empties at a facility year-end or something...

Oct 30, 2013 at 11:09 AM Post #2,974 of 4,428
  Great! I was also concerned about the physical empties, don't want to litter. Guess I'll keep 'em and return home from the ride. Then drop off a big bag of empties at a facility year-end or something...

Good idea. Thanks for bringing this up. I'd like to minimize waste as well.

Oct 30, 2013 at 3:30 PM Post #2,977 of 4,428
In that respect, I think it'd be funny to dress all in motor bike racing gear. Seeing a cyclist in all that would crack me up.

I have an AlpineStars jacket I use for some hardcore downhill trail riding, hard to beat the built in armour. Does that count.

Oct 31, 2013 at 3:17 AM Post #2,979 of 4,428
Oct 31, 2013 at 3:08 PM Post #2,981 of 4,428
  While sitting here reading the morning paper, I'm contemplating riding in costume tomorrow...
popcorn.gif

Excellent!  Pictures please!!  Going as the Devil guy from the Tour?

Oct 31, 2013 at 3:28 PM Post #2,983 of 4,428
  Silent One.  Is the bike in your Avatar yours?  Sweet!!!!!!!!!!!

Excellent!  Pictures please!!  Going as the Devil guy from the Tour?

tongue_smile.gif
 I wish! I'm quietly shopping for a Pre-Owned Track bike and got to looking at LOOKs and fell in love with that one (496). Audio purchases keep delaying the cycling purchases. Or 
blink.gif
 is it the other way around?

I accepted a last minute invite to audition some gear this afternoon when I pick up my amps. So, the ride is off till next year. Not sure what costume I'll choose, but I do know I'll hop on the bike and go to Venice/Santa Monica! 
biggrin.gif

Nov 2, 2013 at 7:32 AM Post #2,985 of 4,428

Users who are viewing this thread

Back