Bicycle-Fi!
Dec 17, 2010 at 7:55 PM Post #1,156 of 4,427

no, it's the seatpost lug

the mxl has other lugs than max columbus lugs.
contacted merckx, even merckx hasn't got mxl lugs anymore.
too bad, the merckx would be my bicycle bike

the pina is nice to watch, with fancy c-record :wink:
but, merckx mxl...

Dec 17, 2010 at 9:18 PM Post #1,157 of 4,427

Quote:

but, merckx mxl...

Regardless of the original lugs, you can almost certainly find one to fit it...  Baring that, you can get one custom made.

Dec 18, 2010 at 11:08 PM Post #1,159 of 4,427
Just purchased a 2010 Cannondale CAAD 9 5  (last year they are made in the USA, sadly).

I'm very excited.  This is my first road bike (after years of using a hardtail mountain bike).  I can't wait for the warmer weather next season.
I expect it will ride a little different than my 36lbs mountain bike.  ^_^

Now I need to get pictures of both bikes.

Dec 19, 2010 at 2:26 AM Post #1,160 of 4,427

Quote:
Just purchased a 2010 Cannondale CAAD 9 5  (last year they are made in the USA, sadly).

I'm very excited.  This is my first road bike (after years of using a hardtail mountain bike).  I can't wait for the warmer weather next season.

First road bike?  You're in for a indescribable experience.  Groupset?

Dec 19, 2010 at 4:53 AM Post #1,161 of 4,427

Quote:

Do you trail ride then?  To tell the truth, I find off road to be so much more fun...  Except for touring.  It's awesome to live on a bike.

C'dale is switching production overseas?  I suppose it was inevitable - especially after reading what company they were bought by...  I admired them for their innovation, even though I'm not really a fan of how their bikes ride.

I think in this kind of case what you've really got to hope for is entrepreneurs to start a new company, a la Soma Fab and Surly - except with funky aluminum bikes.  The skilled manufacturing workforce is right there, someone just needs to take advantage of it.

Kinda reminds me of how Infinity speakers got traded around and eventually whored out by Harman Kardon.

Dec 19, 2010 at 11:53 AM Post #1,162 of 4,427

Quote:
First road bike?  You're in for a indescribable experience.  Groupset?

Ohhh, I'm so excited!
Shimano 105 groupset.

Dec 19, 2010 at 12:06 PM Post #1,163 of 4,427

Quote:
Do you trail ride then?  To tell the truth, I find off road to be so much more fun...  Except for touring.  It's awesome to live on a bike.

C'dale is switching production overseas?  I suppose it was inevitable - especially after reading what company they were bought by...  I admired them for their innovation, even though I'm not really a fan of how their bikes ride.

I would call it more general off roading.  I do enjoy it a lot, but there are times where I just love to travel long distances with my camera.

If I'm not mistaken, cannondales are now made in taiwan.  ~_~ 
Who knows, maybe their factory will make the parts just as nice as the people in the US.  My hunch says, if the company outsourced for considerably cheaper labor, that will not be the case though.
Blah.

Dec 19, 2010 at 9:38 PM Post #1,164 of 4,427
Didn't get a chance to take a picture of my bike yet, but did manage a picture of my helmet.

Dec 20, 2010 at 5:22 PM Post #1,165 of 4,427

Quote:

but, merckx mxl...

I hear you--the mxl is an exceptional frame. Those tubes. Before I bought my last Colnago, I found a NOS mxl in my size on ebay. Procrastinated for about .5 hour and it was gone.

I had C-Record (delta) on another older Colnago Master. That was the year they came out with indexed down tube shifters, which worked much better when adjusted to friction. Having run through 7 Record groupsets since the 70's, C-Record is imo the best finished. It freak'in shines in the hawaiian sun.

Dec 20, 2010 at 11:54 PM Post #1,166 of 4,427

This is my first bike, when first I got it - a fixed gear Kona Paddy Wagon. Right after this picture I stripped the bullhorn brakes and installed one lever for a front brake and also added clipless pedals. I liked it a lot, but I really hated the "scene" and eventually I sold it.

Sometime in May I purchased a Felt F95. Only add ons so far are 105 pedals and a Garmin 305 GPS. I've actually have not had much time to ride it and sadly have gained a ton of weight since I sold my Fixed. I need to stop with excuses and get out there and ride!

Dec 20, 2010 at 11:59 PM Post #1,167 of 4,427
2009 gary fisher marlin here w/ specialized 1.5" hybrid tires, suffer lots of flats in my area

Dec 23, 2010 at 1:03 PM Post #1,168 of 4,427

Pigmode,

so, 7 record groupsets...
i have never ridden a colnago, love to see a mexico oro or an arabesque

which record groupset you prefer to ride?
some people say the SR was the best quality set there was.

yes, the c-record is the most beautifull set made.

riding a mxl, is like driving a very big car. it's a bit slow, but smooth and have the feeling of total control. feeling like "king of the road".
the montello is a very responsive frame. ideal for the city.

Dec 23, 2010 at 3:57 PM Post #1,169 of 4,427

Quote:
riding a mxl, is like driving a very big car. it's a bit slow, but smooth and have the feeling of total control. feeling like "king of the road".
the montello is a very responsive frame. ideal for the city.

[size=medium]
I started with Nuovo Record in the 70's, and to this day I still can't remember how Shimano STI shifts. As you mentioned Super Record is probably the most refined. Check out the geometry on the SR and CR rear derailleur. 

Your MXL almost sounds like my Mxl Colnago. As you know, Colnagos have *slack* frontends (70-71*). Basically you have to be rock solid on your line through a high speed turn before you commit.

[/size]

Dec 23, 2010 at 4:57 PM Post #1,170 of 4,427

i don't know what you exactly mean in the last sentence.
the merckx is great in high speed turns. you are always in control with this bike.

i don't have a SR group, but love to have one.
have 3 bikes, don't want more. :wink:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back