Bicycle-Fi!
Jul 6, 2010 at 12:42 PM Post #1,053 of 4,427
Even though it's already pretty late in the summer, I'm going to be buying a new commute bike in the next few weeks.  It'll be a pretty soft commute, 1.5 miles from my house to the light rail station.  I'm thinking about a Cannondale Bad Boy Disc because I like the idea of a mountain bike frame with road tires.  I might get stuck in the rain from time to time which is why I'm leaning toward the disc brakes.  I'm fairly certain the bike rack at the train station is under cover and it's in a good neighborhood so, with a good lock (recommendations?), it'll be safe.

Thanks!

Jul 6, 2010 at 12:46 PM Post #1,054 of 4,427
Congrats on your decision.. get a chain lock as well as a d-lock. thats the safest way to go.

Jul 6, 2010 at 1:07 PM Post #1,056 of 4,427
My old bike. Recently, Im retired with bikes...
Spend over 2200$ on that bike and did get back only 1300$ when sold it after 2 years :frowning2:
Well, the frame is just undestrucktible.
The brakes was: Shimano Saint
The frame: Banshee Morphine
Rims: Mavic EX729 Disc
Cranks: Truvativ Holzfeller
Hubs: Back: Chris King with s/s and disc mounting - Gold One - it was my precious - paid over 300$ for it / Front: DT Swiss Hugi FR Qr20mm - paid over 300$ - switzerland precision :)
Suspension: Manitou Sherman Slider Qr20

Jul 6, 2010 at 2:06 PM Post #1,057 of 4,427

Quote:
... and it's in a good neighborhood so, with a good lock (recommendations?), it'll be safe....

Abus Bordo Granit X-Plus 6500. Just ordered one for myself today :)

Jul 6, 2010 at 2:08 PM Post #1,058 of 4,427
And while I'm at it:

My new ride:

And the specs:

Frameset:
- Frame:        Surly Cross Check 56cm
- Fork:            Surly Cross check

Seating:
- Seatpost:     Scorpo Oxygen
- Seatpost clamp: Surly Constrictor
- Saddle: Brooks B17

Steering:
- Headset: Cane Creek S2
- Headset spacers: Kalloy (5 & 10mm)
- Stem: BBB Highrise 90mm 35degree
- Handlebar: NC-17 Trekking Pro
- Grips: Ergon GP1
- Expander plug: Christopher Nies Cycles

Wheels:
- Rims: Mavic A319 28"
- Spokes: DT Swiss Champion 2mm silver
- Front hub: Shimano DH-3N72
- Rear hub: Shimano Nexus SG-8R36 Premium (Red Band)
- Rimtape: Schwalbe Super HP
- Tires: Schwalbe Marathon Racer 30-622
- Tubes: Schwalbe 17sv

Drivetrain:
- Bottom bracket: FSA Ultimax 68-103 JIS BSA
- Crankset:    Sugino RD2-Messenger 42t
- Pedals: BBB Fullride
- Rear cog: Shimano Nexus 16t
- Chain: Shimano HG CN-7701
- Shifter: Shimano Alfine Rapidfire SL-S500

Brakes:
- Brakes F+R: Avid Single Digit 7
- Levers F+R: Avid Speed Dial 7
- Pads: Avid RW2
- Cables: SRAM MTB/Trekking

Lighting:
- Front Light: B+M Lumotec IQ Cyo senso plus
- Rear Light: Planet Bike Superflash

Miscellaneous:
- Rear rack: Tubus Vega
- Fenders: SKS Bluemels 35mm
- Kickstand: Modified Dahon 2-leg
- Computer: Sigma sport 1606L DTS
- GPS: Garmin eTrex Vista

Sweet homebuilt touring goodness :)

Jul 7, 2010 at 11:05 AM Post #1,060 of 4,427

Quote:
Thanks.  But is it the right decision.  Are there some other bikes I should look at?

go for the Cannondale - it looks stunning (love the lefty look!) - and make sure to post driving impressions :) You can also check something with Headshok on - its great for city riding

Jul 7, 2010 at 7:09 PM Post #1,061 of 4,427
Get a Kryptonite New York U-lock or chain. Remember to take removable things off, and lock the wheels up too. It might also be good to get a non QR seatpost collar, and fill the allen bolt heads for the stem cap and seatpost collar with Elmer's glue (the kind that dissolves in water) to make loosening the bolts more difficult. You can always take the glue out with some water and time if you need to. Maybe this is all a little excessive but I biked in Chicago for awhile and saw lots of bikes with components stripped. :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by leftnose /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I'm fairly certain the bike rack at the train station is under cover and it's in a good neighborhood so, with a good lock (recommendations?), it'll be safe.

Thanks!

Jul 7, 2010 at 8:04 PM Post #1,062 of 4,427
Wow! I didn`t expect to find other bike geeks in a place like this. I`m on a Cervelo S1/Ultegra.
Read my story at www.thebioniccyclist.com

Jul 7, 2010 at 8:32 PM Post #1,063 of 4,427
Those Kyptonite chains are pretty bomber
wink_face.gif

Jul 7, 2010 at 8:35 PM Post #1,064 of 4,427
Finally looking at getting a new bike. Have that Schwiin Le Tour from 1980 that I think I talked about a bit ago. Thinking of picking up one of these:
http://www.bikesdirect.com/products/windsor/clockwork.htm
Thinking about the Orange or the Black color. Never had a singlespeed/fixed before and figure this would be a good one to get started on. Anyone have any experience with bikesdirect?

Jul 7, 2010 at 10:04 PM Post #1,065 of 4,427
Quote:
Get a Kryptonite New York U-lock or chain. Remember to take removable things off, and lock the wheels up too. It might also be good to get a non QR seatpost collar, and fill the allen bolt heads for the stem cap and seatpost collar with Elmer's glue (the kind that dissolves in water) to make loosening the bolts more difficult. You can always take the glue out with some water and time if you need to. Maybe this is all a little excessive but I biked in Chicago for awhile and saw lots of bikes with components stripped. :)

Thanks for the input.  I like the Elmer's suggestion.  I work in the city but live in the burbs so the bike won't be in such a hostile environment.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back