Bicycle-Fi!
Mar 23, 2014 at 2:57 PM Post #3,286 of 4,427
  I am so f-ing psyched to get back on the bike this year I can barely contain myself. It's been a long winter. ]
Here's my fleet....2010 Felt AR1 & 2013 Pelizzoli Corsa GP (Columbus Spirit steel, Felt F1 geometry).

Man that Felt is SWEEETTTTT!!!!!!!!!!!!

Apr 4, 2014 at 7:50 AM Post #3,288 of 4,427
What do you guys think about purefix bikes? Purefix as in the brand that makes the single gear bikes. I stupidly listened to my friend and bought one because he had one as well and did not do any research. After doing some research online it seems that purefix isn't very well regarded. I have a commute of about one mile so two miles back and forth to and from school. It's basically one big down hill ride to get to school and an uphill battle back home. I often times just take the bus back up because I'm not quite in shape yet to bike up the hill. So far after riding it a few months the bike just doesn't feel solid. It creaks and squeaks when there's pressure on the bike, like riding uphill. Every time I break the thing just squeaks like crazy for both the front and rear break. Is this the result of the wheel or the break pads? What are some things that I can do to improve the bike overall? I am honestly thinking of selling this bike for something else because it just doesn't feel solid although it looks very nice. 

Apr 4, 2014 at 9:01 AM Post #3,289 of 4,427
What do you guys think about purefix bikes? Purefix as in the brand that makes the single gear bikes. I stupidly listened to my friend and bought one because he had one as well and did not do any research. After doing some research online it seems that purefix isn't very well regarded. I have a commute of about one mile so two miles back and forth to and from school. It's basically one big down hill ride to get to school and an uphill battle back home. I often times just take the bus back up because I'm not quite in shape yet to bike up the hill. So far after riding it a few months the bike just doesn't feel solid. It creaks and squeaks when there's pressure on the bike, like riding uphill. Every time I break the thing just squeaks like crazy for both the front and rear break. Is this the result of the wheel or the break pads? What are some things that I can do to improve the bike overall? I am honestly thinking of selling this bike for something else because it just doesn't feel solid although it looks very nice. 

At $325 you're getting heavy low-end steel and cheap components. With bikes, you mostly get what you pay for. I looked at the purefix site and they don't even list components... Just that the bike weighs 21-25 pounds (confirming my suspicions). My pelizzoli pictured above doesn't weigh that much, and its got a full 10speed group.

EDIT: Let me clarify - a low-end fixed gear isn't a bad thing. These are not high-performance race bikes, so they need not be cheap nor light. You *can* find more expensive, lighter fixed gear bikes (usually track bikes) out there. Many companies - like PureFix - appear to be taking advantage of the fixed gear trend and just selling based on bike colors. As such they may not be assembled with the care that you'd do on your own.

Regardless, there is no reason for the bike to creak and it's probably something you can fix yourself. creaking when going uphill sounds to me like a lubrication or tightening issue, since going uphill is when you are pushing hard and stressing the frame.

Brake squeak usually means the brake pads or brake tracks on the wheels are dirty.

Diagnosing creaks is a pain, because there are so many metal-to-metal contact points on the bike. It can help to ride the bike and see when the creaks happen. Once per revolution? Only uphill? Only when you pull on the bars? Only when in the saddle? Only when standing? Etc.

Here are some things to check:
-look for cracks in the steel
-make sure wheel axle bolts or quick releases are tight.
- check for play in the headset/fork, though this would be more of a click then a creeak.
-check that stem and handlebar bolts are tight (but do not over-tighten. Usually its 5nm max)
-if the creak happens while you're on the saddle, check your seat post and saddle bolts. Sometimes they can creak even of they are tight if they have dirt in them. If so, clean them, relube, and re-tighten.
- now the more likely issues- cranks, pedals, and bottom bracket. Disassemble, inspect the threads, re-lube and re-tighten properly. On the BB, check for paint overspray on the threads.

When you relube these things, make sure you have the right grease. You use different stuff for bearings vs. Bolts.

Apr 4, 2014 at 1:15 PM Post #3,290 of 4,427
At $325 you're getting heavy low-end steel and cheap components. With bikes, you mostly get what you pay for. I looked at the purefix site and they don't even list components... Just that the bike weighs 21-25 pounds (confirming my suspicions). My pelizzoli pictured above doesn't weigh that much, and its got a full 10speed group.

EDIT: Let me clarify - a low-end fixed gear isn't a bad thing. These are not high-performance race bikes, so they need not be cheap nor light. You *can* find more expensive, lighter fixed gear bikes (usually track bikes) out there. Many companies - like PureFix - appear to be taking advantage of the fixed gear trend and just selling based on bike colors. As such they may not be assembled with the care that you'd do on your own.

Regardless, there is no reason for the bike to creak and it's probably something you can fix yourself. creaking when going uphill sounds to me like a lubrication or tightening issue, since going uphill is when you are pushing hard and stressing the frame.

Brake squeak usually means the brake pads or brake tracks on the wheels are dirty.

Diagnosing creaks is a pain, because there are so many metal-to-metal contact points on the bike. It can help to ride the bike and see when the creaks happen. Once per revolution? Only uphill? Only when you pull on the bars? Only when in the saddle? Only when standing? Etc.

- check for play in the headset/fork, though this would be more of a click then a creeak.
-check that stem and handlebar bolts are tight (but do not over-tighten. Usually its 5nm max)
-if the creak happens while you're on the saddle, check your seat post and saddle bolts. Sometimes they can creak even of they are tight if they have dirt in them. If so, clean them, relube, and re-tighten.
- now the more likely issues- cranks, pedals, and bottom bracket. Disassemble, inspect the threads, re-lube and re-tighten properly. On the BB, check for paint overspray on the threads.

When you relube these things, make sure you have the right grease. You use different stuff for bearings vs. Bolts.

WOW! Thank you for the time and detail you put into writing that response. It's pretty much what I was hoping for. The creaking happens towards the center of the handle bars which I presume is the stem that you mentioned. It creaks the most uphill because I am constantly putting strain on in I suppose but it also creaks other times when I'm pushing hard. In addition the creaks, there is also and clicking noise that comes from each revolution I pedal. As for the brakes I'll post some pictures up later but the wheel seems like is the same material throughout. There's no difference from where the brakes make contact with the wheel and the rest of it. If I wanted to buy a new bike and my budget was around 400 give or take, what would your recommendations be? I would most likely sell my current bike to some other student here (heh heh). :p

Apr 4, 2014 at 2:00 PM Post #3,292 of 4,427

WOW! Thank you for the time and detail you put into writing that response. It's pretty much what I was hoping for. The creaking happens towards the center of the handle bars which I presume is the stem that you mentioned. It creaks the most uphill because I am constantly putting strain on in I suppose but it also creaks other times when I'm pushing hard. In addition the creaks, there is also and clicking noise that comes from each revolution I pedal. As for the brakes I'll post some pictures up later but the wheel seems like is the same material throughout. There's no difference from where the brakes make contact with the wheel and the rest of it. If I wanted to buy a new bike and my budget was around 400 give or take, what would your recommendations be? I would most likely sell my current bike to some other student here (heh heh). :p

Going up to 400 won't get you an appreciably better complete bike. There are well known options like the Mercier Kilo TT but that is the same basic setup.

Let me offer you another option that will pay off tremendously in the future:

I'm assuming you're new to working on bikes. Take the bike apart. Clean and inspect everything. Then rebuild it. Not only will you likely find the source of this creak, and free yourself from the ******** of bike store maintenance fees, but you'll be equipped to handle your own upgrades.

You can do this almost entirely with a cheap multitiool and some grease.

It's easy, and look - if you're nervous, I with be happy to go on this journey with you and help along the way. There are also millions of YouTube videos that can help. If you want I'll follow up with links to the tools I recommend.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Apr 5, 2014 at 3:33 AM Post #3,294 of 4,427
The weather in Seattle has been clearing up lately and finally got my bike out to ride around with friends and drink beer. Forgot how much fun it is. Something about getting back on a bike and riding for fun makes me feel like a young kid again. Got so drunk I fell off riding home last night though...

Apr 5, 2014 at 10:58 PM Post #3,295 of 4,427
Any Head-Fi'ers from the Southbay of LA that ride??  I am currently living in South Redondo

Here is my "stable"  LOL

My budget roadie

My do everything geared hardtail

My "parts box" single speed

Full suspension

Apr 11, 2014 at 2:53 AM Post #3,298 of 4,427
bigsmile_face.gif
Quote:
  http://singletrackworld.com/2014/04/sea-otter-salsa-launches-bucksaw-full-suspension-fat-bike/

never been so excited about a bike in 25 years of riding!

It sure looks like it could bring a happy 
L3000.gif
 smile to its satisfactory exhausted owner  
deadhorse.gif
bigsmile_face.gif
 after an adventorous ride !

Apr 11, 2014 at 1:32 PM Post #3,299 of 4,427
  http://singletrackworld.com/2014/04/sea-otter-salsa-launches-bucksaw-full-suspension-fat-bike/

never been so excited about a bike in 25 years of riding!

Great!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back