beyer's vs denon's :D
Apr 24, 2009 at 1:01 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

GLdgShDjKsHT

100+ Head-Fier
hello, i am new to this forum, but i've been reading this for over an year or so ... and only now i've decided to create an account ... so here i am
biggrin.gif

first of all in a month or two i'l be getting a pair of headphones and maybe an amp ...
biggrin.gif

so what do you suggest?
Denon AH D1001 ?
Beyerdinamic dt 990 pro (old edition) ?

the amp may be a headsix (if jan has any left
biggrin.gif
)
i especially like deep bass, large soundstage but i hate sibilance and harshness
budget 200$
dt880smile.png

Apr 24, 2009 at 10:37 PM Post #4 of 9
"Hate sibilance and harshness"...well, cross the DT990 off your list. Personally I'd opt for the M-audio Q40s in that price range for the characteristics you're looking for.

Apr 24, 2009 at 10:43 PM Post #5 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by Shahrose /img/forum/go_quote.gif
"Hate sibilance and harshness"...well, cross the DT990 off your list. Personally I'd opt for the M-audio Q40s in that price range for the characteristics you're looking for.

why, i have the 990 pros theyre not harsh at all. they sound pretty nice but the bass is a little too much for my taste.
ill say go with the 990 they do have wide sound stage and deep bass. that i can attest to.

Apr 24, 2009 at 11:56 PM Post #6 of 9
No idea about the headphones you're considering. None whatsoever.

But...I had two types of Beyerdynamic headphones, and unloaded them for Denons.

The issue was bass...in other respects the Beyers were very nice.

But for bass? The 880's were anemic, as though some Beyer engineer thought...'hmmmm...most artists want too much bass in their music, so I'll take some out."

The 770's were bloated, like some Beyer engineer thought 'hmmmm....most artists want too little bass in their music, so I'll add some.'

The Denons? They're just right. Like, some Denon engineer thought 'hmmmm....most artists know what they want, so I'll try to recreate it accurately.'

I think they're brilliant.

However, I'm basing this on the models I know...not the ones you are considering. So I'm really just yappin' away.

Apr 25, 2009 at 12:10 AM Post #7 of 9
Keep in mind both these companies both have sort of a "house sound".... It all depends on your tastes. Denons tend to be creamy and more "warm" in the bass range from my experience (only heard one pair of Beyers though), so they might be more what you are looking for. I have heard those particular Denons, and enjoyed them immensely, but I haven't heard those Beyers.

Apr 25, 2009 at 11:21 AM Post #8 of 9
Just my opinion,when playing piano sonata,DT990pro have more richness and texture than DENON D2000.

Although D2000 have a warm coloration, but I feel it's a little somehow dry, thin and bright compare with DT990pro.

The source is Lavry DA10 > MF X-cans V8 headphone amp

Users who are viewing this thread

Back