Beyerdynamic to launch new top headphone at IFA -- called T1
Sep 26, 2010 at 4:08 PM Post #3,766 of 3,971
The 701 mid range is not it's strongest suit.. I wonder how many headphones this guy has heard.

Quote:

Aaron:

Great read!
beerchug.gif

I agree with many of your points and love the reference to Rush (as you can tell by my avatar
wink.gif
). I really enjoyed the K701s with classical, jazz and acoustic music (and even some prog rock like Pink Floyd and Genesis). But with hard rock and metal (as you mentioned) the lack of bass really did take away from the excitement factor with those cans. They have since been replaced by the HD800s and I haven't looked back (except very recently for my new bedside rig...great price to performance ratio for the AKGs right now).

That's the beauty of the T1s is that they are great at classical, jazz, acoustic, AND rock, hard rock, prog rock and metal. For my money, they are the best all rounders I've heard. Though I have not heard the LCD-2s yet.

Sep 26, 2010 at 4:29 PM Post #3,767 of 3,971
I found no fault with the 701 mid range its weakness in regards to the T1 was bass impact and highs could be scratchy and piercing even with good source and amp. For the money a nice can. I even prefer the T1 with classical music over the LCD2 because of the sound stage and space.  The T1 is still here as is the LCD2 and the D7000 is my closed can choice. Life is good and my amps do well with all three cans.

Sep 26, 2010 at 9:21 PM Post #3,768 of 3,971

Quote:
The 701 mid range is not it's strongest suit.. I wonder how many headphones this guy has heard.

Do I have to pull your last epic fail post that Nikkongod so eloquently shot down? But thanks for playing!
rolleyes.gif

Just have a look at the headphones I've owned / own....more than just say the K701s/DT48s.
tongue_smile.gif

Here's where the vocals sound fake with the male voice...as the K701s are fairly bass lite, the male voice lacks the foundation in the lower tone to come off as sounding real.

Uncle Erik had the best comment with this regard....vocals to the K701 are like cheese in a can....not the real stuff. 

Sep 26, 2010 at 9:22 PM Post #3,769 of 3,971

Quote:
I found no fault with the 701 mid range its weakness in regards to the T1 was bass impact and highs could be scratchy and piercing even with good source and amp. For the money a nice can. I even prefer the T1 with classical music over the LCD2 because of the sound stage and space.  The T1 is still here as is the LCD2 and the D7000 is my closed can choice. Life is good and my amps do well with all three cans.

The fault is with the lower mids that fail to give the male voice the proper foundation and thus a fake tone results.

Sep 26, 2010 at 9:48 PM Post #3,770 of 3,971

Quote:

Uncle Erik had the best comment with this regard....vocals to the K701 are like cheese in a can....not the real stuff. 

What!
eek.gif
I love cheese in a can! Cougar Gold! My niece goes to that U.

Of course I love my K701 as well.
biggrin.gif

Sep 28, 2010 at 2:05 AM Post #3,772 of 3,971

Quote:

Here's where the vocals sound fake with the male voice...as the K701s are fairly bass lite, the male voice lacks the foundation in the lower tone to come off as sounding real.

After extensive (and expensive) tube rolling this is only about 20% true now in my case.  Not that the effort was worth it vs. just getting a different pair of headphones, but you CAN get the the K701 sounding natural without an EQ if you put your mind to it. 

Sep 28, 2010 at 7:33 AM Post #3,773 of 3,971
Quote:
After extensive (and expensive) tube rolling this is only about 20% true now in my case.  Not that the effort was worth it vs. just getting a different pair of headphones, but you CAN get the the K701 sounding natural without an EQ if you put your mind to it. 

Equalizing would have taken less than 10 minutes and is free and the results would have been 100% effective and cleaner than tubes. Just saying.
wink.gif

Sep 28, 2010 at 9:19 AM Post #3,774 of 3,971

Quote:
Equalizing would have taken less than 10 minutes and is free and the results would have been 100% effective and cleaner than tubes. Just saying. 
wink.gif

x2. I've had this discussion with another member. We've talked about conducting a blind test with friends. We'll use an equalizer and not tell them. Do you think those unsuspecting friends will be able tell the difference between an NOS tube roll and a slight bump in the lower register with an equalizer? I wonder.

Sep 28, 2010 at 9:46 AM Post #3,775 of 3,971
You guys who recommend EQ forget that there are many of us who do NOT use computers as our sources
wink_face.gif

Sep 28, 2010 at 9:59 AM Post #3,776 of 3,971

Quote:
You guys who recommend EQ forget that there are many of us who do NOT use computers as our sources
wink_face.gif

Exactly.

Quote:

Sorry, but I have never found a tube amp (with extensive tube rolling....including the WA6) that has even come close to sound as good as a SS amp with the K701. All sounded thin in comparison to even entry level SS amps.

Sep 28, 2010 at 10:32 AM Post #3,777 of 3,971

There is a lot good hardware equalizers out there for gear freaks that cost virtually nothing compared to a T1 for example
smily_headphones1.gif

Quote:
You guys who recommend EQ forget that there are many of us who do NOT use computers as our sources .

Sep 28, 2010 at 10:55 AM Post #3,778 of 3,971

Quote:
wink_face.gif

I've never used my computer as my music source. Way before I got into tube amplification (or even knew of their existence other than in my father's 1970s stereo console) I owned a Sansui solid state equalizer that I used extensively in the 1990s to enhance my meager stereo system with wonderful results. I only stopped using an ss equalizer last year when I got my first Woo Audio--the WA6.
biggrin.gif

Sep 28, 2010 at 12:39 PM Post #3,779 of 3,971

Quote:
Which tube amp is great for T1 up to 500-600 dollars? Thanks.

IMHO, there is little difference between the sound of my 637/627 M^3 and my Woo 3 w/ Cetron tube, so I  think a good SS is just as good as a good  tube amp with the T-1.

Also keep in mind that while tubes begin to deteriorate from the minute they are turned on,  a SS does not.  This is noted in the old Carver Challenge, where Bob Carver made his SS amp sound like a very expensive Tube amp.....  he was able to duplicate the tube amp's sound by adding resistors, IIRC, and won the challenge, but the interesting thing was that about 6 months later, when the two amps were compared again they were found not to sound the same any more, because the tubes had deteriorated from use, while the SS  remained the same.   Just saying.

Quote:
" class="bbcode_smiley" height="" src="http://files.head-fi.org/images/smilies//wink.gif" title="
wink.gif
" width="" />

I'll agree with this too.  And there are many good, outboard EQs that are available to those who are not computer based. 

Not to open a can of worms, but excluding obviously bad sounding, poorly made tubes, this whole tube rolling thing reminds me of the interconnect, power cord and cable thing, with nothing but anecdotes for evidence.  Are there any scientific reasons why an expensive vintage tube should sound any different than an identical, well made, modern tube?  Just asking.

Quote:
x2. I've had this discussion with another member. We've talked about conducting a blind test with friends. We'll use an equalizer and not tell them. Do you think those unsuspecting friends will be able tell the difference between an NOS tube roll and a slight bump in the lower register with an equalizer? I wonder.

Hey Clayton

I don't see any reason why you shouldn't be able to duplicate the sound of a NOS tube roll with an equalizer.  An interesting exercise might be to let your friends adjust the EQ themselves, until they feel that there is no difference between the tube and the EQ'd sound.

USG

Sep 28, 2010 at 1:15 PM Post #3,780 of 3,971
I'm sorry but outboard EQ's are NOT a good alternative to changing tubes - you completely lose the economic benefit AND you may degrade the sound.  If they are analog, they add noise and distortion (phase shift).  If they are digital, then they are generally expensive if they are up to snuff, and limited to digital sources.  How adding an entire new component to the signal chain is somehow "better" from an economic or audio perspective than simply changing tubes is really quite difficult to fathom.  I can at least understand the argument for someone who uses a computer as their only source, but otherwise, the argument holds no water.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back