Beyerdynamic to launch new top headphone at IFA -- called T1
Oct 9, 2010 at 1:53 AM Post #3,856 of 3,971

Quote:

I keep mine in a drawer laid with a towel on the bottom. I do this will all of my headphones (keeps them out of my 2 year old's reach). The one thing with all of the headphone cases I own (LCD-2, HD800, T1 and D7000), they are not optimally designed for the damn headphone cable. What up with that?

X2.
I find this much more convenient than having to put them back into the case, and then having to take them back out of the case.

Oct 10, 2010 at 7:48 AM Post #3,857 of 3,971
Hi!

CABLE ADVICE?: 

I find the T1 to be brighter than I find comfortable on mny recordings, even at lower volumes. Had the same problem, but to a higher degree with the HD800 which I sold. Cymbals and bright strings, bright trumpets, bright saxes - thats where my ears starts itching... 

Anybody have experienced the same, and are there hope for a significant change if I chose to recable? 

BTW, Naim Headline and Grace m902 are my amps. 

Oct 10, 2010 at 11:10 AM Post #3,858 of 3,971

Quote:
Hi!

CABLE ADVICE?: 

I find the T1 to be brighter than I find comfortable on mny recordings, even at lower volumes. Had the same problem, but to a higher degree with the HD800 which I sold. Cymbals and bright strings, bright trumpets, bright saxes - thats where my ears starts itching... 

Anybody have experienced the same, and are there hope for a significant change if I chose to recable? 

This is precisely the reason that I am leaning more toward purchasing the Audeze LCD2, instead of the T-1, or the HD800. I have read these same issues from others as well. I am personally very sensitive to any peaks, or excessive brightness in the treble.

Oct 10, 2010 at 12:05 PM Post #3,859 of 3,971

Quote:
This is precisely the reason that I am leaning more toward purchasing the Audeze LCD2, instead of the T-1, or the HD800. I have read these same issues from others as well. I am personally very sensitive to any peaks, or excessive brightness in the treble.

Again, I don't think you should be buying this blind -- knowing that you can't afford to keep both, I'd bring in the two on your shortlist and then spend a few weeks with each, and sell the one you don't love. FWIW, I owned the HD800s for several months and am in week 2 of the T1, and if you're supersenstive to perceived mid or treble brightness I'd say the T1 is the safer bet. I hate bright treble and I find these to be both extended and smooth, I enjoyed the HD800s when I had them but they are undoubtedly more treble-y to my ears -- though I wouldn't call them "bright" or "peaky" particularly.

Bring in the Audezes and, if you can, one of the others. No amount of owner feedback is likely to help you beyond what you've already gathered here.

best,

o

Oct 10, 2010 at 1:31 PM Post #3,860 of 3,971

Quote:
Hi!

CABLE ADVICE?: 

While my stock T1 pair showed annoying treble peak during burn-in period before 400 hours, it then changed a lot and the annoying treble peak had almost disappeared. I gave a try to ALO T1 recabled with OCC Chain Mail at slim.a's place which was in burn-in period (around 50 hours) and there was no treble peak at all, and his pair never showed any. So I guess it may have to deal with both burn-in and stock cable.
I still had a few treble peaks with stock cable on my setup, and I should receive my pair recabled (with OCC Chain Mail also) tomorrow or after tomorrow. I'll keep you informed.

Oct 10, 2010 at 1:48 PM Post #3,861 of 3,971

Quote:
Hi!

CABLE ADVICE?: 

My opinion (own all three and love them all)....HD800...neutral (but can be perceived by some as slightly bright), T1s also neutral (but slightly warmish), LCD-2s warm no doubt...but yet balanced as well (with recessed treble).

For 600 ohms...I strongly recommend a good tube amp for the T1s.

Oct 10, 2010 at 2:48 PM Post #3,862 of 3,971
Quote:
For 600 ohms...I strongly recommend a good tube amp for the T1s.

Actually, most op amps are a lot happier with 600 ohm loads than with anything lower too.
wink.gif

Oct 10, 2010 at 9:49 PM Post #3,864 of 3,971

Quote:
I agree. 

My T1 works equally fine with my M^3, Woo3 and GS-1.

USG

Not saying that they don't work with SS amps...my T1s go very well with my Concerto, it's just that I prefer tubes with them. Opamps are great at supplying large current swings, but (generally) aren't as good as tube amps with regards to voltage swings....something high impedance cans need. With the LCD-2s, I prefer the Concerto.

Oct 10, 2010 at 11:28 PM Post #3,865 of 3,971

Quote:
Not saying that they don't work with SS amps...my T1s go very well with my Concerto, it's just that I prefer tubes with them. Opamps are great at supplying large current swings, but (generally) aren't as good as tube amps with regards to voltage swings....something high impedance cans need. With the LCD-2s, I prefer the Concerto.

Well, what do you prefer about tubes with you T-1?  ........Just asking.

USG

Oct 10, 2010 at 11:36 PM Post #3,866 of 3,971

Quote:
Well, what do you prefer about tubes with you T-1?  ........Just asking.

USG

It gives them a warmer sound (not too warm...especially with my Kimber Silver Streak interconnects....I know where you stand on that
wink.gif
). They seem more fluid and organic and yet more dynamic. The vocals seem more forward and lush. The sound stage is wider as well. I also prefer my HD800s with my tube amp. However, with the LCD-2 and D7000s, I feel I get most with the Concerto.

As well, the pattern here is not lost on me....higher impedance cans - tubes, lower impedance cans - solid state.

Which do you prefer? Woo3 or GS-1?

Oct 11, 2010 at 3:47 PM Post #3,867 of 3,971
Dint know if any of you will be at RMAF 2010, but we will have the LCD-2, T1, T5p, HD800 and PS1000 at our table. So it will provide you the ability to hear the differences between each of these. We will also have all of our cables for those of you that do have issues with the High Freq peaks. Thus making it possible to see if some of these headphones become more desirable. I personally listen to the the HD800 only on Tube gear as I find it just needs the voltage clamp on the impedance swing and helps smooth out the top end. With the T1 and T5p I can go either way SS or Tube depending on mood. I have not had enough time with the LCD2 yet to make a preference call on an amp. I do know that I will prefer silver cables on these as I like as much detail in the upper mids and highs I can get. I use a copper cable on the T1 and go back and forth on the HD800. The PS1000 is so much more smoother sounding than the GS1000 on down the Grado line that I can use either SS or Tube on these with no problem.

For those of you T1 owners that desire a smaller footprint place to store their phones the new case for the T5p would be worth buying. I'm sure it will be for sale separately at some point. Here are some pics.

Moon Audio Stay updated on Moon Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/MoonAudio/ https://twitter.com/MoonAudio https://instagram.com/moonaudio https://www.moon-audio.com/ https://www.youtube.com/@moon-audio sales@moon-audio.com
Oct 11, 2010 at 4:57 PM Post #3,868 of 3,971
I will remind again about the possibility of disconnecting the shields from ground and themselves in the T1's cable. There will be no longer any peak, the soundstage will become wider and the sound will get nicer and more holographic. The stock cable is very good already but it has to be connected the other way. Another worthy upgrade is Furutech FP-704 jack. Some of the benefits coming from custom cables come exactly from this plug.

Oct 11, 2010 at 7:34 PM Post #3,869 of 3,971

Quote:
I will remind again about the possibility of disconnecting the shields from ground and themselves in the T1's cable. There will be no longer any peak, the soundstage will become wider and the sound will get nicer and more holographic. The stock cable is very good already but it has to be connected the other way. Another worthy upgrade is Furutech FP-704 jack. Some of the benefits coming from custom cables come exactly from this plug.

I think I've bugged you before about this and you didn't have any pics of the mod. When I open up my T1 plug I see 1 green wire, 1 red wire, 2 bare wires & 2 clear(sleeved) wires. What to do with this?

Oct 12, 2010 at 12:33 AM Post #3,870 of 3,971

Quote:

People can find my opinion on the quality of the Furutech plug just a few posts back... maybe I'm just unlucky.

majkel- If I'm correct here, are you suggesting that floating the shield on the ~10foot cable is an improvement?  I'm finding that pretty difficult to swallow.

Also- Drew, that semi-soft case looks fantastic!  I'll be eagerly awaiting the day they are for sale separately.
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back