Beyerdynamic T90 Discussion and Support Thread
May 1, 2014 at 8:04 PM Post #1,953 of 4,487
  Does anyone know what the cable of the T90 is made of?

PVC over enameled copper bundles that wrap around what looks like cotton, like almost any other stock cable.

May 2, 2014 at 7:11 AM Post #1,954 of 4,487
My new setup: (!!)

Special thanks to @soundsgoodtome for trading me for the Schiit Vali. I am no audiophile, but they are sounding incredible right out of the box. I'm breaking them in by putting some playlists on shuffle and allowing it to play on low volume. Does anyone have some secret technique or do they just need playtime to fully develop their sound?

May 3, 2014 at 2:34 AM Post #1,957 of 4,487
Finally Actually bought a tube amp instead of backing out, a Little Dot MK II which ships from amazon =D.

May 3, 2014 at 4:57 PM Post #1,959 of 4,487
Lookin good! Glad you're enjoying the new setup. I know it's only right to chase the better audio but if the Vali pairs well with a particular phone, it's very tough to beat it in the performance to price ratio. Something to keep in mind when going through your audiophile journey, other than that enjoy the music!
My new setup: (!!)

Special thanks to @soundsgoodtome for trading me for the Schiit Vali. I am no audiophile, but they are sounding incredible right out of the box. I'm breaking them in by putting some playlists on shuffle and allowing it to play on low volume. Does anyone have some secret technique or do they just need playtime to fully develop their sound?

May 4, 2014 at 8:53 AM Post #1,960 of 4,487
How does the T90 compare to the Sennheiser HD-650?

I've been looking at a few options (HE-500, HE-400i, HD 650, HD 700), but am also now checking out these T90s. I have found very little info/comparisons between them, so any personal opinions are welcome. I posted more info here about what I'm actually looking for.

http://www.head-fi.org/t/716320/recommendations-for-both-open-and-closed-headphones-hd-650-vs-he-500-460i-b-w-p7-vs-nad-hp50-etc#post_10494617

May 4, 2014 at 11:10 AM Post #1,961 of 4,487
the hd650 and T90 are worlds apart in sound presentation/sig......one is warm and laid back....the other is a detail monster with big soundstage. 

May 4, 2014 at 11:27 AM Post #1,962 of 4,487
  the hd650 and T90 are worlds apart in sound presentation/sig......one is warm and laid back....the other is a detail monster with big soundstage. 

Ya, plus HD650 is slow paced (think Jazz) whereas T90 is lightning fast (think EDM). Normally some one who like HD650 will not like T90 & vice versa.

May 4, 2014 at 9:11 PM Post #1,963 of 4,487
  How does the T90 compare to the Sennheiser HD-650?

I've been looking at a few options (HE-500, HE-400i, HD 650, HD 700), but am also now checking out these T90s. I have found very little info/comparisons between them, so any personal opinions are welcome. I posted more info here about what I'm actually looking for.

http://www.head-fi.org/t/716320/recommendations-for-both-open-and-closed-headphones-hd-650-vs-he-500-460i-b-w-p7-vs-nad-hp50-etc#post_10494617

Both are fantastic headphones, but T90 sounds better with electronic music and HD650 sounds better with jazz and and other acoustic stuff.  HD650 has a beautiful midrange, dark, unoffending treble and silky, thick bass with what seems like emphasized articulation.  T90 has stronger bass and treble, also boasts a great midrange, but doesn't sound as thick, giving an impression of sounding "faster" than 650.  Both are detail monsters with big soundstages.  GIGO (garbage in, garbage out) principle applies strongly.  T90 will hug your head lightly and HD650 will get a tight, but comfortable grip.
T90 can be too treble-heavy out of an amplifier that does not bring out the best in its bass.  Schiit equipment and more are discussed earlier in this thread, I recommend getting an audio-gd amp if you want to go solid-state.  The HD650 appreciation thread will have discussions on equipment for it, HD700 for HD700, and so on.

I would try both if I were you, going by what you posted as music preferences.  Or maybe HD700 will be the all-rounder that you want.

May 5, 2014 at 4:25 AM Post #1,964 of 4,487

Both are fantastic headphones, but T90 sounds better with electronic music and HD650 sounds better with jazz and and other acoustic stuff.  HD650 has a beautiful midrange, dark, unoffending treble and silky, thick bass with what seems like emphasized articulation.  T90 has stronger bass and treble, also boasts a great midrange, but doesn't sound as thick, giving an impression of sounding "faster" than 650.  Both are detail monsters with big soundstages.  GIGO (garbage in, garbage out) principle applies strongly.  T90 will hug your head lightly and HD650 will get a tight, but comfortable grip.
T90 can be too treble-heavy out of an amplifier that does not bring out the best in its bass.  Schiit equipment and more are discussed earlier in this thread, I recommend getting an audio-gd amp if you want to go solid-state.  The HD650 appreciation thread will have discussions on equipment for it, HD700 for HD700, and so on.

I would try both if I were you, going by what you posted as music preferences.  Or maybe HD700 will be the all-rounder that you want.

Thanks, I appreciate your input. Not sure if this helps, but when I really enjoyed the HD800 (obviously :) ) and the HD700 in terms of clarity and soundstage. Perhaps I'm too accustomed to the HD598 that I have. I would, however, prefer a more full and developed sound (perhaps more in the low end but with a similar or more clarity on the high as long as they're not shrill). I found the HE-400s to be shrill if that helps.

On that front, I have two options I suppose:

-  Keep the HD598 for clarity and soundstage and pick up a HD650 for a diff signature.
-  Pick up the T90 / HD700 to provide that signature and a closed can to have a diff sound (or keep my M80s also though they're not comfortable long term) - considering M100 or B&W P7 to fill in that hole.

Would one have better vocals?
Would the HD700 be an equal comparison/option vs T90?

I'm not too keen to spend a lot of amps just yet. Was actually thinking of the Schiit Magni/Modi to suffice with my e17 for now.

Not sure where I can try the T90 in the U.S. Are they widely available?

May 5, 2014 at 4:35 AM Post #1,965 of 4,487
  Ya, plus HD650 is slow paced (think Jazz) whereas T90 is lightning fast (think EDM). Normally some one who like HD650 will not like T90 & vice versa.

Hmm. This is a tough one. I listen to lots of classical and jazz at home, but also lots of vocals and rock (NIN, Radiohead, The National, Air, etc).

I may be a noob, but wouldn't something with clarity and speed be good for jazz, classical and instrumental?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back