Beyerdynamic t51p vs Sennheiser Momentum - advise appreciated?
Sep 21, 2014 at 10:39 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 2

Sauron79

New Head-Fier
Hi all,

This is my first post, so first up - hi!

I'm a music reviewer and a lot of my listening is on the go via my iPhone 5s, and I am ready in invest in some decent on-ear headphones.

I've been thinking of the Beyerdynamic T51p vs the Sennheiser Momentum. I tested both this weekend and was quite impressed with the 2 of them, but - though I understand music - I don't fully understand the detailed technical aspects of headphones.

The reviews and research I have done suggest the Beyerdynamic t51p is 'better' than the Sennheiser Momentum, but for me the Sennheiser sounded more impressive - the Beyerdynamic sounded 'tinnier', and I enjoyed the seemingly enhanced bass of the Sennheiser.

Additionally, the same song played on the Byerdynamic seemed to be quieter. The thing is, I only listened to 3 tracks on each headphone, and thought I would ask some of you more seasoned audiophiles your opinion; I don't want to make a decision on just 15 minutes of listening time alone.

Also, regarding the look and feel of the headphones, I definitely prefer the Beyerdynamic, though it's a shame it doesn't come with a detachable chord. The Sennheiser doesn't look as 'classy'.

Let me know your thoughts please. Which of the 2 would you go for... and why?

Sauron 79

Sep 22, 2014 at 5:23 AM Post #2 of 2
Well, you just heard the difference between the Sennheiser and Beyerdynamic sound. And from there, better is a matter of definition.
Beyerdynamic often boosts the upper treble area while keeping the rest of the frequency response more or less even. It conveys a very lively sound but it is perceived as too much by some people, and it seems tinny in comparison. It also carves out details better. On the other hand, the t51 has that upper bass boost while rolling off the deep bass. In my ears, it makes bass fart rather than slam.
The momentum has a warm balance, that is, strong bass, neutral mids, tamed treble. It don't like that very much because it sounds muffled to me, especially the treble section seems being filtered out. But it works very well with mainstream recordings that are horribly bright (Justin Bieber's **** through Beyerdynamic cans - oh boy) and rely on the beat.
I would go the momentum because it has a more coherent frequency response, while the t51p relies very much on the upper bass section and the transition from upper mids to lower treble looks like a ski slope for advanced skiers. But I'd also like the t51p for its lively sound and I prefer crisp treble (it is not one of the better pieces of beyerdynamic's development though). In the end, it depends on what sonic flavor you prefer.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back