BeyerDynamic owners unite...
Mar 25, 2008 at 10:08 AM Post #586 of 1,864
DT770 Pro is my current favorite, after having tried many headphones; see below. Most other headphones sound wispy, veiled, gutless, or shrill, in comparison.

To my ears, the DT770 Pro80 is a balanced ride. I'm sure not many would agree, but screw 'em. Head-Fiers seem into "detail" at the expense of soul........??

DT770 Pro have character. I like that.

Mar 25, 2008 at 3:01 PM Post #587 of 1,864
Quote:

Originally Posted by Skylab /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The DT770 Pro 80 ohm has lots of bass, and pretty fat bass at that. Warmer, less recessed mids than the 05 version, with softer treble. Really needs to be recabled and otherwise modded to sound great, but OK stock.

Thanks for the info! Are there any cables in particular which you recommend? And where can I get those cables? (And is it hard to replace these cables?)

thanks!

Mar 25, 2008 at 3:56 PM Post #588 of 1,864
Mar 26, 2008 at 4:54 AM Post #589 of 1,864
Greggf, why you sold your JVC HP-DX1000; what was the problem with them/why you don't like them??, because i am interested in them but...
Thanks for your answer

P.S: What music do you like/listen?
Quote:

Originally Posted by greggf /img/forum/go_quote.gif
DT770 Pro is my current favorite, after having tried many headphones; see below. Most other headphones sound wispy, veiled, gutless, or shrill, in comparison.

To my ears, the DT770 Pro80 is a balanced ride. I'm sure not many would agree, but screw 'em. Head-Fiers seem into "detail" at the expense of soul........??

DT770 Pro have character. I like that.

Mar 26, 2008 at 8:29 AM Post #590 of 1,864
The DX1000 are great headphones, and probably "better" IMO - whatever "better" means, LOL - than the DT770Pro80. The only reason I sold the JVCs is because an opportunity came around to help out another Head-Fier, one who does outside reviews. He needed a pair of the JVCs fast.

That, combined with the fact that I had the HD650 at the time, and the fact that the DT770 is a wonderful, overachieving headphone that I like almost as much as the also-closed DX1000, led me to the DT770 in time.

I have no regrets with the DT770, which is a tremendous value, but by all means pursue the DX1000. You'll have fun!

And if you do get them, let us know how you like them!

Mar 26, 2008 at 5:02 PM Post #591 of 1,864
Well greggf, but what kind of music do you listen, because i don't known if that headphone is suitable for my kind of music.
Well, in what is better that headphone vs your DT770pro, according to your opinion? (i known in what that headphone is "better" than the DT770pro but...)
In other hand, you have the 2003 version of your DT770pro or the new version?
I can get them in the future, if they still are in the market....
Quote:

The DX1000 are great headphones, and probably "better" IMO - whatever "better" means, LOL - than the DT770Pro80. The only reason I sold the JVCs is because an opportunity came around to help out another Head-Fier, one who does outside reviews. He needed a pair of the JVCs fast.

That, combined with the fact that I had the HD650 at the time, and the fact that the DT770 is a wonderful, overachieving headphone that I like almost as much as the also-closed DX1000, led me to the DT770 in time.

I have no regrets with the DT770, which is a tremendous value, but by all means pursue the DX1000. You'll have fun!

And if you do get them, let us know how you like them!

Mar 26, 2008 at 5:36 PM Post #592 of 1,864
I just noticed HeadRoom quit selling the DT990 and new DT770, anybody know the story on that?

Mar 26, 2008 at 7:00 PM Post #593 of 1,864
I was wondering the same thing...

Mar 26, 2008 at 7:55 PM Post #594 of 1,864
I wonder about Headroom, too. Hopefully someone can tell us.

Re: the DX1000, I listen to everything, but especially jazz. It's a very refined can, I discovered, delicate-sounding in some ways (I used it with a PS Audio GCHA), with very good deep bass but not an overwhelming amount of mid-bass. It has it's own unique sound signature in the midrange that some call hollow-sounding or hollowed out or even honky, but I wouldn't call it that. Let's just say it's unique, and unmistakably the DX1000.

My DT770Pro80 is the current version. I think it's great. I had had earlier versions, and found the highs too piercing and the bass a bit wobbly and for lack of a better way of putting it, the midrange was too quiet. I think others called it recessed.

Well, none of this is true now with the current version! I'm rather shocked at how good it is. It has a much more balanced sound, and the bass is only there when it's there in the recording. It gives orchestral musical a solid foundation, and I even like it for basslines in jazz. It sounds like a better, clearer (non-veiled?!), even at times more detailed HD650.

Will wonders never cease!

And as far as Headroom goes, I hope someone can fill us in.

Mar 26, 2008 at 7:58 PM Post #595 of 1,864
I am willing to bet that there are new versions of those cans on the way, that only the dealers know about?

Or maybe the current dollar/euro exchange rates, or maybe an unfavorable new dealer-pricing structure (or other hassle) -- like happened before with Ety at HeadRoom.

Remember that?

Just my guess....

Mar 26, 2008 at 8:40 PM Post #596 of 1,864
Ok. But, is that the mids sound artificial or less realistic in that headphone, or sound as if it was in a tunnel or something like that (because of the hollow sound in some of the midrange zone), i don't understand, because i haven't listen them (and i can't buy them if they will sound "bad" in that respect) and i want to known that.
In other hand how is the soundstage depht if your new DT770pro/80 vs the old 2003 if you remember?. I know that it is as wider as my DT990 but the depth is shallower...
And this headphone has the same slam that the previous version or is better. I want to known more diferences (if there is more...)
Thanks

Quote:

I wonder about Headroom, too. Hopefully someone can tell us.

Re: the DX1000, I listen to everything, but especially jazz. It's a very refined can, I discovered, delicate-sounding in some ways (I used it with a PS Audio GCHA), with very good deep bass but not an overwhelming amount of mid-bass. It has it's own unique sound signature in the midrange that some call hollow-sounding or hollowed out or even honky, but I wouldn't call it that. Let's just say it's unique, and unmistakably the DX1000.

My DT770Pro80 is the current version. I think it's great. I had had earlier versions, and found the highs too piercing and the bass a bit wobbly and for lack of a better way of putting it, the midrange was too quiet. I think others called it recessed.

Well, none of this is true now with the current version! I'm rather shocked at how good it is. It has a much more balanced sound, and the bass is only there when it's there in the recording. It gives orchestral musical a solid foundation, and I even like it for basslines in jazz. It sounds like a better, clearer (non-veiled?!), even at times more detailed HD650.

Will wonders never cease!

And as far as Headroom goes, I hope someone can fill us in.

Oh oh..., yes, that is that i am expecting since a few moths ago, new editions. But well, you never know. Can be that the stock is out...
In ebay too, disappear the 2005 ed of this headphones...

Quote:

Originally Posted by silverrain /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I am willing to bet that there are new versions of those cans on the way, that only the dealers know about?

Or maybe the current dollar/euro exchange rates, or maybe an unfavorable new dealer-pricing structure (or other hassle) -- like happened before with Ety at HeadRoom.

Remember that?

Just my guess....

Mar 26, 2008 at 9:32 PM Post #597 of 1,864
New Beyer owner reporting for duty: I have a DT 990 (classic), a DT 831 and a DT 150 which is currently being broken in. My wallet says no, but I'm looking at a DT 880...

Mar 26, 2008 at 9:52 PM Post #598 of 1,864
wilashort,

There's nothing weird about the JVC's midrange to me. No tunnel effect. I think you'd have to hear the DX1000 to see if you'd like it. I know that that's hard to stomach, since it's expensive and hard to find. I've been in that boat, and have spent a lot on cans and amps, only to find that the "big" differences that Head-Fiers claim to hear between specific pieces of equipment are generally not as startling or distinct as they make them out to be.

Hence, I've settled on the DT770Pro out of a Denon integrated's headphone jack. My wife and I - I always bring her in on these matters, in order to buttress my own shaky sense of what's what! - find the DT770/Denon combo as good as anything else I've heard in my sig below. Which either calls into question my own sanity, or else the sanity of many of the people on this forum!

As for the DT770 soundstage, that tends to be something that I find hard to describe in any headphone. Either that or else it's just not my top priority. If pressed, I'd say that the current DT770 and the 2003 version both soundstage "respectably." Maybe Skylab or others can talk about it better than I can. In any case, neither version seemed/seems deficient in that respect, but neither does it seem a particular weakness.

Again, I feel very awkward and defensive about how pleasant and musical the DT770/denon combo seems to me, because it isn't politically correct around Head-Fi.

Even though people give lip service to the idea that "whatever you like is good" there's a not-so-subtle and condescending attitude among the cognescenti that implies that such a modest and simple set-up is beneath them. Yet I hear it as warm and musical and fun, across the board.

I wonder if anyone else feels that way?!
confused.gif

And if so, is there a way to stay on the forum, read it and participate, without grinding your teeth all the time and feeling like a second-class citizen?!
redface.gif

After all, I'd like to enjoy the music, and many of the other systems that I've owned below were actually quite painful compared to the DT770Pro80.

Mar 26, 2008 at 11:17 PM Post #599 of 1,864
greggf,

Due largely in part to your recent comments around this forum regarding your experiences with the DT 770/80, I finally gave in and grabbed a set on eBay for $149 + $9 shipping..eventho I shouldn't have, due to finances, lol. But I think that if my thoughts toward this headphone end up anything similar to yours, I'll probably be more than happy.

Before looking into these, I was checking out the HD600 and 595 and what not..but mainly the HD600. However, I want to end up with 2 sets, one for me and one for my gf. With the price of more expensive headphones, it'd definitely set me back quite a bit. If these DT 770's will satisfy me, that'd be awesome.

If I was coming from something better than these tiresome HD497's I've been using for 5-6 years (connected to various junk for an amp), I'd probably be a little more wary. But I feel pretty good about it at the moment. Anyway, I guess I'll find out soon enough..

Oh and by the way.. after coming across several various posts on this forum pertaining to people looking at headphones at their local Guitar Center stores, I was somehow under the impression that there must have been several cans on display there. I could have sworn I remembered people saying that they had listened to several different headphones there, but I couldn't remember seeing anything on display the one or two times I've ever been there. So, I eagerly took a trip there with my gf lastnight. As it turns out, there wasn't a single headphone on display, just as I remembered. However, I did tell the big guy behind the counter that I was interested in checking out the DT770's. He even seemed a little reluctant to remove the box from its shelf to let me look at it, so I didn't even bother asking about a demo. So yeah, I was pretty disappointed about that. I guess that was probably the icing on the cake as far as what provoked me to just go ahead and buy them on eBay lastnight.

Anyway, I'll update as soon as I get them and give them a good listen. Obviously, I don't have much else to compare them to, other than my HD497's, which I'll hopefully forget all about once I have the new Beyers. Other than that, I've listened to a lot of high end speakers, as well as designed and built my own. So I have a lot of listening experience..just not with headphones. Anyhoo, I can hardly wait!
biggrin.gif

Mar 26, 2008 at 11:32 PM Post #600 of 1,864
Just got a new addition to my Beyerdynamic family: the DT48. I don't have it yet, but it will be here in a week or two.

The DT48 was developed in 1937 and released to the public in 1950. It was the first hi-fi headphone and has been in production ever since. Mostly for pro work, however, and there is very little information on it here. So when the opportunity to grab a used one at a fair price came up, I bit. I'll post impressions after I put a week or two on them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back