Beyerdynamic DT990s (2005) rule !
Dec 2, 2006 at 7:32 AM Post #32 of 44
Quote:

Originally Posted by denl82 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
So I was wondering if I had to get the 32 ohm ver. of the dt990'05, or if the 250 ohm ver.(the cheapest) would be alright with my amp. I don't want to have to crank the volume way up in order to hear tight, nice bass that isn't all over the place=]

I'd like to hear some more opinions on this. Also how this might apply to using an Earmax Pro with the different impedance versions of the dt990'05s. Any thoughts on synergy with the dt990'05 and EMP, or tube amps in general would be great as well.

Dec 2, 2006 at 2:33 PM Post #33 of 44
I own DT990s in the 600ohm version. I've always found it an ideal match for many portable CD players. It seems to play louder, but of course, I do not have another otherwise identical DT990 in a lower impedance. I realize impedance is a factor, but not the only one.

Mine have the cord on just one side. I don't know if this is standard. I had a previous DT990 pair with thinner cables coming from each headphone element. I prefer the single cord on one side. I don't know what the current configuration is nor if it varies by impedance model or not.

Great phones, though. I also own AKG501k phones. I agree that for low level listening, the Beyer phones are without peer.

Hope this helps.

Dec 4, 2006 at 5:27 AM Post #34 of 44
Quote:

Originally Posted by mariowar /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Socrates63, even at US$264 is a very good price compared to what Headroom etc.... are asking for them. Additionally, they are still handmade in Germany.
Give them a try, you won't regret it.

I picked up a used pair ('05 version) here at a good price. I don't know what impedance version they are (I assume 250) as I didn't care enough to ask. I should have them tomorrow and am looking foward very much to hearing them. Now where's that DT990 smiley?
biggrin.gif

Dec 4, 2006 at 12:24 PM Post #35 of 44
I find my new 2005/6 990's to have great bass and highs -- the mids seem (to me) slightly recessed -- the reason I say that? If I turn up the volume (on my HeadRoom desktop amp) enough to bring the mids (vocals) into focus and clarity, then it seems the bass and highs get a little overwhelming as far as volume.
I love the overall sound, except for what I just mentioned.
Maybe some burn-in would even things out? Or do the 990's always sound like this?
confused.gif

My HD595's sound more evenly-balanced volume-wise, it seems, though with slightly less bass.
I'm thinking of returning the 990's today, and would appreciate some input here.

EDIT: see my posts below -- the mids are doing okay now!

Dec 4, 2006 at 1:32 PM Post #36 of 44
This is what makes the DT990 the ultimate low(er) volume headphone - it does have slightly recessed mids, or, put differently, slightly tipped up treble and bass. So for folks like me, who don't listen all that loud, it's perfect - still sounds dynamic even at quieter levels. An HD595 (which I also own) requires more volume to "come to life".

Dec 4, 2006 at 1:38 PM Post #37 of 44
I'll have to give them another chance tonight -- I like to use low volumes too, to keep what is left of my hearing, from my rock band days.

I just realized -- I DO use the HD595's louder, in order to get some more bass for my enjoyment. The 990 bass is really nice in comparison, at similar volumes.

I guess after 7 years of playing live rock (in the band Silver Rain) while standing directly in front of the bass-player's huge amp (right next to my amp), I need some bass to really enjoy music the most. Nothing like 130+ decibel bass speakers blowing your pant legs enough to make them flap!

FWIW -- one day, I counted the speakers we used on stage with us, and came up with 32! Jeez.

Dec 7, 2006 at 4:43 PM Post #38 of 44
After about 30 hours of use/burn-in, it seems the mids are now doing better -- the overall sound has improved. Hmmm...think maybe now I'll keep them. Sure do love that bass!
basshead.gif

Dec 7, 2006 at 5:07 PM Post #39 of 44
Ok, let's get the "recessed mids" fiction straight.

IMHO, the the DT990s do not provide recessed mids at all. In fact, the mids are EXCELLENT. They are true to the recording, therefore, they do not enhance them at all.

Today's trend is to release headphones and earphones that color the sound in a way the accentuate the mids.

In fact, if you listen an Iron Maiden album and you listen Dickinson's vocals in front!!!, your headphones are not accurate at all. Just listen to the recording in a pair of good speakers and you'll know what I'm talking about. Some music was just recorded that way.

On the other hand, if you listen to vocals based music like jazz your ears won't believe how beautiful and FULL their mids sound.

Dec 7, 2006 at 5:12 PM Post #40 of 44
Quote:

IMHO, the the DT990s do not provide recessed mids at all. In fact, the mids are EXCELLENT. They are true to the recording, therefore, they do not enhance them at all.

Today's trend is to release headphones and earphones that color the sound in a way the accentuate the mids.

In fact, if you listen an Iron Maiden album and you listen Dickinson's vocals in front!!!, your headphones are not accurate at all. Just listen to the recording in a pair of good speakers and you'll know what I'm talking about. Some music was just recorded that way.

On the other hand, if you listen to vocals based music like jazz your ears won't believe how beautiful and FULL their mids sound.

True Dat!

Dec 7, 2006 at 5:21 PM Post #41 of 44
Quote:

Yep -- now that I've listened to more different parts of my vast music collection over the past few days, the DT990's sound much better to me now -- I especially like the way I can listen at lower volume levels, but still seemingly lose none of the highs or lows details, like some cans do. So, I don't have to blast away what's left of my hearing, in order to enjoy whatever I'm listening to.
I especially love female vocals, and heavy-metal-type (or whatever they're calling it these days) stuff (like I used to play in my band).

Dec 7, 2006 at 7:49 PM Post #42 of 44
Quote:

Originally Posted by seefeel /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'd like to hear some more opinions on this. Also how this might apply to using an Earmax Pro with the different impedance versions of the dt990'05s.

>"Any thoughts on synergy with the dt990'05 and EMP, or tube amps in general would be great as well.

O.K.... I'm running a Mapletree HD+ purist and the synergy with the DT-990(05e) is made in heaven! Tubes in general I believe, decompress the midrange vs some S.S. amplification (in the same pricerange), and therefore give the sense of bringing the midrange into a more forward presentation. With the tube change out to a GE five star in V1 (recommended to me to address tightening up the bass) both deepened and fully controled the 990s prominent bass response, while keeping the georgous balanced mid range presentation, all while tempering the otherwise somewhat hot high frequency responce, especially when compounded by some recordings .
Again, as has been said, I find the ability to fully enjoy more music choices in general, at lower volume with these 990s enhanced by this tube based systems balanced presentation... The 990s LOVE tubes, and I have nothing short of LOVE for the 990s in my system with this MAD tube amplifier ;-}

Dec 7, 2006 at 8:00 PM Post #43 of 44
Hi-Finthen, I always wanted to know how would they match with Tube amp!!!

I'm glad you really like them.

I'm also in love with my Dt990s and my set up too.

As far as I know, the XP7 with the AD797 om-amps sound like tubes.....but, we all know.... that it is solid state, no metter what....

And you are sooo far away...
frown.gif

Dec 7, 2006 at 8:24 PM Post #44 of 44
Quote:

Hi-Finthen, I always wanted to know how would they match with Tube amp!!!

I'm glad you really like them.

I'm also in love with my Dt990s and my set up too.

As far as I know, the XP7 with the AD797 om-amps sound like tubes.....but, we all know.... that it is solid state, no metter what....

And you are sooo far away...
frown.gif

Hey man,

I really liked my 990s with the headfive also, said to have a bit of rounder tubey signature due to the buffer 6XX being a bit wooly... However the Hfs invaded a bit much on music I otherwise would choose to enjoy (Think "YES" "ZZ Tops"here) on CD bringing a bit much of its digital glare to a high fidelity phone, known to have a likewise tipped Hf spectrum. The only saving grace to that system was the wooly natured Headfive. I'm not trying to be some fanboy of tubes in particular(although as tone control they work); But tubes in general helps out considerably to my ears, here in this digital age of our sources. I fully enjoy the convience, cost and practical aspects the digital age brings to the equation. I employe the Squeezebox for instance. But a tube preamplifier or a tube amplifier brings its qualitys to enhance my good pleasure, as I have learned and thought I would share.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back