Beyerdynamic DT931 struts its stuff
Aug 11, 2002 at 2:14 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 21

dougli

500+ Head-Fier
There is an often-overlooked bargain out there. I had heard about it more than once, but only recently got around to seeing if it was really any good. I'm referring to the pairing up of the Beyerdynamic DT931 with the Corda Headamp-1. The DT931 is the flagship of the Beyerdynamic line. However, most people think that its sound, based upon the specific amp, varies from bright to way too bright. Enter the HA-1. Dr. Meier enjoys the sound of the DT931, and has in fact built an amp that maximizes the DT931's good points, and de-emphasizes its debatable points. The HA-1 has both a 0 ohm and 120 ohm jack, and the 120 ohm jack is right were the DT931 belongs. To my knowledge, the HA-1 is the only headphone amp which has such a jack.

When driven out of this 120 ohm jack, the DT931 sounds simply amazing. It has an extremely wide frequency range. The upper is broad and crisp, the mid is full and healthy, and the bass is detailed and rich. It is no longer too bright, in my opinion. It is instead crisp and detailed. The bass response has sometimes been criticized. I personally do not like as much bass as given by something like the DT770. Also, I have a Meier Analoguer preceeding the HA-1, with its base adjustment set full on. So I'd say there's plenty of realistic bass, but not impactful, thumping bass. Furthermore, I was surprised to find that I actually prefer the sound of these phones without any crossfeed on many recordings. To me that means that the soundstage is pretty darn good too.

This headphone-amp setup is not everyone, of course. I still prefer my HD600's out of the HA-1 0 ohm jack for some recordings. My ears are overly sensitive to high frequencies; there's probably no Sony MDR-CD3000 in my future. But if you're looking for a set of cans and an amp which takes you right into the land of sonic grins, this could be it for you. Both are available together from Meier Audio at an even more attractive price. And then, beyond that, there's always the Corda Blue, and Dr. Meier's headphone cable tricks given on the Meier Audio website...

My source is a Sony DVP-NS500V

Aug 11, 2002 at 3:22 AM Post #2 of 21
Quote:

Originally posted by dougli
I still prefer my HD600's out of the HA-1 0 ohm jack for some recordings.

My source is a Sony DVP-NS500V

Doug,

Wow.

What types of recordings/music do you prefer the Senns vs. the Beyers?

Aug 11, 2002 at 4:05 AM Post #3 of 21
An example of music that makes me lean toward the HD600 is stuff by Blackmore's Night. It is "Renaissance music with an edge", and there is ample use of mandolin, violin, flute; in other words the recording is hard on my poor ears at times. However, going to the 600 loses some of the beauty of Candice Night's voice, which really comes across well with the DT931. So I find myself listening with the 931 in the morning when my ears are fresher, the 600 at night. I think the accuracy of the 931 in conveying these instruments would be an asset for people who listen to such classical music.

Aug 11, 2002 at 5:41 AM Post #4 of 21
hey dougli- congrats, i'm glad you like it! i placed an order for the same combo last night.

thanks for your review, it made me even more optimistic about my purchase... but more impatient too... oh well, i can deal with it.
smily_headphones1.gif

just out of curiosity, what method did you use to pay dr. meier? how long did the process take?

Aug 11, 2002 at 5:51 AM Post #5 of 21
I make the payment to Alex Derevin, using c2it. That seems to me to be the cheapest and easiest way of all the payment choices. From the time I make the payment until the order arrives here in Oregon has taken from 8-12 days.

Oct 15, 2002 at 3:58 AM Post #6 of 21
So, ah.... is there a way to make the DT931 bass impacting and thumping? At least somewhat?

Like, with a Corda Blue and 120 ohms, is it STILL not impacting? Cause, accuracy is fine ande dandy, but I like a bit of bass in my big old open headphones, ya know?

Oct 15, 2002 at 4:43 AM Post #7 of 21
Quote:

Originally posted by Gluegun
So, ah.... is there a way to make the DT931 bass impacting and thumping? At least somewhat?

Like, with a Corda Blue and 120 ohms, is it STILL not impacting? Cause, accuracy is fine ande dandy, but I like a bit of bass in my big old open headphones, ya know?

I expect by adding the Stefan Audio Art Equinox to the 931 and Corda Blue package, you should have that, Gluegun.
I'm planning on having my Corda modded, and then grabbing an Equinox within the next 4-6 weeks, I'll certainly pass on what I find.
I agree with virtually everything Dougli said, and I find them simply outstanding in an overall sense. I just listened to the new Aimee Mann cd, followed by Peter Gabriels Up , followed by a classical guitar cd, and now Gregorian Chants........everything was reproduced superbly........at least to my ears, and I'm seriously picky...........

Oct 15, 2002 at 4:49 AM Post #8 of 21
I just want something to wow me..

Let's look at some of the things i figured out, through various demos throughout my life:

Speakers:

B&W DM303 -- too bright, too much false air
Polk Lsi9 -- Too boomy
Klipsch RB-3 -- Too bright

Headphones:
DT831 -- Too bright'n'nasal, not enough bass. It HAS impacting bass, but i gotta turn it up to get that.
HD580 -- a bit too laid back, i wanna tap my toe
HD565 -- same as HD580
SR-60 -- a little odd in the highs and mids...

Headphone/Amp combos:

Melos/HP1000 -- Nice, but not impacting enough in the bass... almost perfect everywhere else tho..

So, by process of elimination, what would give me that bass slam when I need it, that immersive joy when I want it, and that energy when the music calls for it?

Oct 15, 2002 at 5:25 AM Post #9 of 21
Quote:

Originally posted by Gluegun
So, by process of elimination, what would give me that bass slam when I need it, that immersive joy when I want it, and that energy when the music calls for it?

Haven't you been paying attention? The beyer 770's!

smily_headphones1.gif

Oct 15, 2002 at 5:27 AM Post #10 of 21
Immersive joy....closed....

*beeep* "DT831's have some of the biggest soundstage of a closed headphone" *BEEEEEP* 831 soundstage is too small, *beep* unwilling to downgrade from HD565's

systemerrorsystemerror.....

Oct 15, 2002 at 6:24 AM Post #11 of 21
Dougli
You seem pretty happy with your system. How long before you give in and order that Equinox cable?
smily_headphones1.gif

Oct 15, 2002 at 4:17 PM Post #12 of 21
Kelly,
I have been toying with the idea of getting the Equinox cable for the DT931 (and maybe the HD600). Two things have kept me from acting. The first has to do with my perceived stiffness of the cable. Currently I coil up my headphone cables when I put the phones away in a cabinet. From what I've read, the Equinox, although not as stiff as its competitors, doesn't seem to be all that flexible. But I just need to find some other suitable place to store the cans.

The other reason is that I just purchased another EQ to replace the one I currently use in the headphone rig. It too is a Behringer, the DSP8024. It arrived yesterday, but I haven't even had time to set it up and try it out. What's happened to my priorities
confused.gif

So the next purshase is quite likely to be an Equinox...

Oct 15, 2002 at 4:26 PM Post #13 of 21
Dougli
You should write up some impressions of these Behringer EQs you have.

I'm considering eventually picking up a pair of DT931 and Equinox and trying the Equinox in both the 931 and the Grado HP-1 and see if I like it in either of them. Down the road though--it's an expensive experiment and I'm spent for a while.

The HD600 I felt needed more help in taming the bass bloat and lifting the upper midrange so I like the Cardas more than the Equinox with that one.

I didn't really think the Equinox was too stiff.

Oct 15, 2002 at 4:41 PM Post #14 of 21
Kelly,
I do plan to post some impressions of these EQs, now that I can do a comparison. And I'm glad you mentioned the effects that you found using the Cardas with the HD600. I do like clean-bassy female vocal recordings, so that may be the cable I should set my sights on for the 600.

But I'm spent for now too

Users who are viewing this thread

Back