Beyerdynamic DT880/600 v. Ultrasone PRO2500, preliminaries
Nov 6, 2010 at 10:39 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 19

pataburd

Headphoneus Supremus
Ric Schultz-modded Oppo 970HD
Fitz-max Bada PH-12, w/1x Mullard ECC33 and 2x Raytheon 6SN7GT

Right now I am a/b-ing the DT880/600 and the PRO2500, both of which have been recabled with Zombie_X's excellent "Nucleotide" UP-OCC quad-braided copper wire.  This is a tough one, but right now anyway, overall, I tend to prefer the PRO2500.  They're a bit "darker" and less open sounding than the Beyers, but also--to my ears--more tonally complete, organic- and dimensional-sounding.  

(When I say "organic", I mean having a sense of all the parts working together holistically or synergistically.)  In addition, more break-in time may be warranted for both the PRO2500 and their accompanying re-cable.

The Beyers are definitely more detailed--remarkably so, especially in the upper registers, and have a pristine/crystalline midrange with excellent spectral balance and tonal nuance, but do concede--appreciably--to the PRO2500 in terms of bass reach, presence and drive. 

While not as detailed as the Beyers, the Ultrasones provide--IMHO--a more complete-sounding midrange: immediate, involving and more liquid.  The Beyers, in absolute terms, sound midrange lean (or upper-midrange tilted) by comparison; this is probably due to their relative lack of palpable bass (and while they do provide fairly deep, accurate audible bass, it lacks the depth, thickness, "shape" and weight of the Ultrasones).

Last night I listened to the PRO2500, DT880/600 and the UP-OCC re-cabled K501 with Cat Stevens' "Into White" from Tea for the Tillerman.  It was a tough one indeed to judge.  But for me, the DT880/600 finished just slightly behind the PRO2500.  But both lagged the K501.  : ) 

A lot depends on your listening tastes and the types of music you prefer.  I'll probably end up keeping both the Beyers and the Ultrasones for a while yet.  Meanwhile my appreciation and fondness for the K501 continues to grow.  : )

Nov 6, 2010 at 1:06 PM Post #2 of 19
interesting impressions! i have recently been offered a trade between the stock ultrasone 2500 and the dt990 600 ohm, and as i was not ready to let go of the dt990 at that time, your comments have piqued my interest. i might need to give these ultrasones an audition
smily_headphones1.gif

Nov 6, 2010 at 5:03 PM Post #3 of 19
 That's interesting.  I have the Pro 2500's here, and I like the DT880/250's a lot more.  I think this just goes to prove, once more
smile_phones.gif
, that peoples ears and preferences can be quite different with the same cans.

I find the Beyer's more balanced across the spectrum.  A lot of reviews I've seen say the Beyers have boosted highs with recessed mids, and I just don't find that to be the case.  I think their highs are balanced very well with the lows, which I find quite full yet not overblown at all.  I think the 2500's have too much bass, but I do like their mids and highs.

I also think the Beyer's are quite a bit more comfortable for long term listening than the 2500's too.

Nov 6, 2010 at 5:16 PM Post #4 of 19
I agree that the DT880/600 are well balanced, too.  Make no mistake, I really like the Beyers.  
But after strapping on the PRO2500, the DT880/600's bass deficit is manifest, with attendant demasculization on male vocals (e.g. Merle Haggard's "I Take A Lot of Pride in What I am").  I personally don't find the Ultrasones too bassy.  Rather, I find their bass deep, articulate and punctual.  The Beyers have bass, but bass that does not support, shape and drive the overall musical presentation like the Ultrasones.

There are, however, enough signal differences between the Beyers and the Ultrasones to warrant hanging onto both for a good while.  : )

Nov 7, 2010 at 2:34 AM Post #5 of 19
Interesting review thanks for posting.  I'm looking at exactly both these headphones at the moment.  

Nov 7, 2010 at 6:26 AM Post #7 of 19
Pat, you should really try the closed back mod for your 880'600 one day. No big deal, all you need is Dt770 pads and a bit of adhesive tape, and it's totally reversible. Especially the things you (sort of) criticized, midrange and bass, become much more involving.

Nov 7, 2010 at 1:56 PM Post #10 of 19
OH? Sounds interesting. So can these cotton rings be found in stores? Sorry but I am a little lazy to look right now.

Quote:
You can also place a hygienic cotton ring inside of the ear cup to thicken the midrange. You'll lose a bit of efficiency but the sound of the DT880's will be no longer lean.

Nov 7, 2010 at 10:10 PM Post #12 of 19
Majkel,
(a)
Don't have the PRO750 this time around.  Bought the PRO2500 on sale.  So comparisons are limited to DT880/600 and K501 for the time being.  : )

(b)
When you say that the cotton ring mod affects the Beyer's efficiency, exactly what do you mean?

Patrick

Quote:
Several years ago we argued about which Ultrasone sounded better and truer - Proline 2500 or Proline 750? I stood by the former while you were defending the 750's advantages. How is this today?

Dec 8, 2010 at 5:43 PM Post #13 of 19
Have more to add, but am waiting for a break from my work schedule.  By then, the ZXAC re-cable on the PRO 2500 should be well run in.  I continue to very much enjoy both sets of headphones.  Although lately I've had the PRO 2500 on more often than the DT880/600.  : )

Had a short retreat with some older Stax gear, but have since sold it and gladly returned to the Beyers and Ultrasones.

After re-tubing the Fitz-Maxxed Bada PH-12 with 2x Sylvania 6SN7GTA and 1x RCA 5692, the PRO2500 compete more favorably with the DT880/600 in terms of detail retrieval.  I recently exchanged my POCC interconnect for some SoundSilver Trilogy wire (three runs of solid core silver for signal and two runs of copper for ground), which seems to ramp up the detail retrieval even more, as well as lend a sense of added spaciousness and better bass balance to the Ultrasones.

Dec 9, 2010 at 1:33 AM Post #14 of 19
I'm also really enjoying both.

Since I recently got the Marantz CD5004 cd player.
I've really been enjoying my DT 880 more than I did.

And with some stuff I really enjoy the slightly more treble push of the DT 880 it's a very Goldilocks treble push just the right amount.
But some albums work much better with the flatter/darker 2500 treble.

Kinda wish sometimes the DT 880 had the 2500's bass.
That's a reason I want to try the DT 990,
But some albums are really well done so the DT 880 has a nice bass too.

Dec 19, 2010 at 4:50 PM Post #15 of 19
The DT990 has more bass than the DT880 for sure, but it has more depth to it's bass rather than impact. Don't get me wrong, the DT990 does have more impact than the DT880, but it's not a ton more. Personally I believe the DT990 has more treble than it does bass.

Quote:
I'm also really enjoying both.

Since I recently got the Marantz CD5004 cd player.
I've really been enjoying my DT 880 more than I did.

And with some stuff I really enjoy the slightly more treble push of the DT 880 it's a very Goldilocks treble push just the right amount.
But some albums work much better with the flatter/darker 2500 treble.

Kinda wish sometimes the DT 880 had the 2500's bass.
That's a reason I want to try the DT 990,
But some albums are really well done so the DT 880 has a nice bass too.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back