Beyerdynamic DT770PRO LE vs AKG K550
Feb 25, 2013 at 1:36 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

mg2550arch

New Head-Fier
I think both are very good headphones each one with its advantages. At first I found the DT770LE a little more fun. After listening to both several weeks, the impression fades a bit. Then I start to enjoy more the k550, due to its technical superiority. The Beyer works best for a more casual user. The AKG, on the other hand, gives a more holistic experience. But really, both are very good. It's just a matter of taste and needs.

Feb 25, 2013 at 1:46 AM Post #2 of 6
Thanks.

How would you compare the sound? I bought the 770 80's for their stronger bass. They suit some types of music quite well.

How is the bass punch / low end extension on the K550's?

Feb 25, 2013 at 8:33 AM Post #3 of 6
 The bass in the K550 is very clear with good texture and depth but at the same time with less impact and resonance, but once inside the low frequency range, the K550 offers a bit more detail and resolution. To my ears the Beyer is more fun to listen to metal rock, hip hop, video games, movies and popular music. Both are excellent cans. They complement each other very well and it's worth having them both. I think the DT770 is a bit more versatile. 

Feb 25, 2013 at 8:39 AM Post #4 of 6
 The K550 offers its best performance to listen to classical music, progressive rock, indie rock, fusion and jazz. Slightly better than the DT770PRO. It also has a greater ability to detect variations in the tone and pitch of musical instruments. Of course, if you want to hear these tonal nuances like the performance improvements past certain hours of use, you must use a very good source and amp.

Mar 26, 2013 at 11:39 AM Post #5 of 6
I think I might disagree SLIGHTLY with mg2550arch on the Beyerdynamics DT770's use for Classical music.
I modded mine, VERY SLIGHTLY, by removing the foam that covers the speaker screens inside the cups and the clarity improved  quite a bit, the bass seemed less muffle-y. After substantial burn-in, the clarity of the bass range improved very nicely.
I think the more bowl shaped build of the K550's helps increase sense of stage right out of the box.
I am also going to see what happens with some Grado g-cush as a mod in regards to increasing the bowl on the Beyers and still keep the closed back isolation.
I prefer how well the Beyers exclude environment noise when I am stuck in a situation with racket nearby.
(I'm an ER physician and sometimes have to sleep in a call room immediately adjacent to the ER itself....)
I chose the Beyers over the AKGs for this reason. And the versatility, as you say, is a bit broader for the Beyerdynamics.

As said, it's about taste and situation. 
smile_phones.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back