Beyerdynamic DT440
Jul 18, 2004 at 12:06 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 42

EyeAmEye

Aka: ulogin.
I recieved the DT440 from Dr. Meier this morning. Without going into audiophile terminology, I think everyone but the most hardcore audiophile obsessed nut should make a point to audition a pair, or, if Lini and Snufkin are correct about the similarities between the two, the hard to find DT531.

I'll just say simply that I've owned quite a few nice cans previous to the DT440, among them the AKG 240S, 271S, Grado SR325, Senn HD25-1, Philips HP910, Sony CD780, and my current Senn HD595. Each of them have performed better than the DT440 at certain types of music, and have been bested by the DT440 at others. As a quick example, easily the most intense, mind-blowing combo was the SR325 with heavy metal (SR325 + Rammstein's "Mutter" is a combo that I miss VERY dearly
frown.gif
). That said, what makes the DT440, and as others have said with the DT531, special is the fact that it does nothing bad. Regardless of the type of music or quality of recording , the DT440 on average outperforms all the others. I sold all the other cans, save the HD595, because some of my collection sounded very good with them, other cd's in my collection sounded poorly, and then some were unlistenable. I've spent 5 hours with the DT440, scouring my cd's, and have yet to find a cd that wasn't listenable. Obviously, it sounds better with some than others, and quite beautiful with a top quality recording, but it is extremely forgiving to the poor recordings and is very engaging. Lini's "groovalizer" tag definately belongs to the DT440, and I'll throw in "engagalizer"
eek.gif
confused.gif

It's the engaging quality of the DT440 that is it's best strength. Again, I'm not going to detail the qualities of the lows,mids, and highs, I'll just say when you slap this can on and press play, you get absorbed by the music and suddenly you're not looking to find every detail and nuance of the recording, you just enjoy the music. Unless you are obsessed with hearing the pluck of the guitar, which I personally never understood why you'd want to, but that's me, the DT440 will put a smile on your face.
Oh, and let me not forget to include that the DT440 is easily driven, I've only had a chance to listen to it so far on a Sharp MD-MS702 portable minidisc player, and it's straight out of the box.
Now go find a pair to audition and stop reading my bs
wink.gif

Jul 18, 2004 at 2:34 AM Post #2 of 42
Actually, the DT440 is The Funkalizer for me - in contrast to the Groovalizers, as it sounds a tad leaner and a little more energetic to my ears... Nice to read that you like it too, though.

Greetings from Hannover!

Manfred / lini

Jul 18, 2004 at 2:47 AM Post #3 of 42
the dt440 is very easily driven, but benefits from an amp, after 20 hrs of burn in, i think that the vocals are overwealmed by the music.. the beat and rythm is much more apparent that nthe actual voices, is this what they call warmth? becuase it sounds like theres a blanket over voices

Jul 18, 2004 at 3:03 AM Post #4 of 42
Quote:

Originally Posted by lini
Actually, the DT440 is The Funkalizer for me - in contrast to the Groovalizers, as it sounds a tad leaner and a little more energetic to my ears... Nice to read that you like it too, though.

Greetings from Hannover!

Manfred / lini

I am greatly enjoying it, thank you. At the moment, I'm letting it burn-in for a bit, mostly because I had it on for over 6 hours and I have one hell of a headache
biggrin.gif

I never heard the DT531, but I do agree it is a bit leaner than the AKG 240S, and a little lighter on the bass, which to me, was to prevalent on the 240S. It has TONS of energy, second only to the SR325 in terms of energy with hard rock/heavy metal, which I listen to often. The DT440 is better for all other types of music, though, and provides a good deal of energy to any genre, plus I love how it lets me enjoy poorer recordings that were unlistenable with the other cans. It's a keeper, for sure.

Kenny12,
I hope my DT440 doesn't burn-in as you suggest, because right now, I think the vocal/music mix is really good. Nothing overpowering anything else. I was hoping burn-in would just tweak the details a little bit, but only slightly, the sound out of the box definately put a smile on my face.

Jul 18, 2004 at 3:21 AM Post #5 of 42
Kenny12's pair has only been on for about 20 hours so I'd guess this is an intermediate step (and I too hope it's not permenant as I've bought these cans as well).

EDIT: Where do you live (just the state would be good enough) and how long did it take to ship to you?

Jul 18, 2004 at 5:02 AM Post #8 of 42
Mr. Radar, I am located in NYC, and it took about a week, so to get to you it would probably take another 2-3 days.

Kenny12, good to hear it may have been your source, it would be a bit disappointing if the 440's burned-in sound turned in that direction. I think it's superb the way it is, just a little refining of the out of the box sound and it will really sound great.

Elliot, yes, I decided to sell the HD595 because of this purchase. I am somewhat of a minimalist in the audio world. I do not normally use a home setup, just portables (cd, DAP, and minidisc). Currently I'm using a Sharp 702 minidisc player/recorder as my main source, and it worked well with the HD595, but it's better paired with the DT440. On my meager home setup, a Philips DVD727 or my ancient Fisher MC-723, the HD595 outshines the DT440, atleast to me. The authority I described earlier that the DT440 has on my portable is present on the HD595 with a more powerful system, along with a more detailed high end. Bass wize, the DT440's is much more prevalent, many would say the HD595 is bass deficient, I never thought so. It's alot tighter, and does go deeper. Vocals on either home or portable belong to the HD595. There is a realism to vocals on the HD595 that the DT440 can't match. Not to say I don't like vocals on the DT440, but the HD595 is so realistic and warm on vocals, "seductive" might be a good word. Guitars I'll call even, they both do an admiral job, the only difference is in the placement. The DT440 puts them a bit forward, the Senns seem to place them a bit further back. Which one I would prefer definately comes down simply to the recording. Pianos again come down to personal preference. The DT440 puts them forward, very nicely detailed, sound very authentic. The HD595 blends them into the mix more, excellently detailed. Can't really comment on horns and such.
Quick summary:
Home setup- HD595 vocals forward, rest of mix a bit behind, good authority, wider s.stage
DT440 vocals and music intermingled well, heavier but not better bass, good authority, sounds "denser" and more compact

Portable setup
HD595 vocals forward, rest of mix pushed further behind, sounds thinner than on home setup, bass is lighter than on home setup, loser some of it's authority
DT440 vocals and music intermingled, forward, authoritive sound, "heavy" sound, much more pleasing overall than HD595, IMO, of course

Hope that made sense, because I'm not sure it made any to me
biggrin.gif

Jul 18, 2004 at 5:09 AM Post #9 of 42
Could someone please tell me if these cans will benifit greatly from an amp? I am going to be building a Morgan Jones tube amp and a Buffered CMoy/MINT-like amp in the near future. Would these amps be overkill for the DT440?

And finally, do you think these would be an upgrade from my K401s?

JV.

Jul 18, 2004 at 5:18 AM Post #10 of 42
Quote:

Originally Posted by Lil_JV
Could someone please tell me if these cans will benifit greatly from an amp? I am going to be building a Morgan Jones tube amp and a Buffered CMoy/MINT-like amp in the near future. Would these amps be overkill for the DT440?

And finally, do you think these would be an upgrade from my K401s?

JV.

i think they benefit from an amp, certainly cleaned my sound up

Jul 18, 2004 at 3:57 PM Post #12 of 42
Hi eyeameye,

Since you had k271s and hd25 in the past, how do dt440 compare to these? It's not fair comparison cuz these are closed, but to sum it up??? It seems that dt440 are keeper. How'bout other two? I'm in a dire need of closed phones soon. I have been looking at dt660...Thanks.

Jul 19, 2004 at 5:36 AM Post #14 of 42
Quote:

Originally Posted by BigD
Hi eyeameye,

Since you had k271s and hd25 in the past, how do dt440 compare to these? It's not fair comparison cuz these are closed, but to sum it up??? It seems that dt440 are keeper. How'bout other two? I'm in a dire need of closed phones soon. I have been looking at dt660...Thanks.

Between the two you've asked about, forget the K271S and get the HD25-1, it's better at everything, and much easier to drive from any source.
As far as a comparison to the DT440, you're right, it's not fair. The honkiness that is somewhat of a trademark of closed phones is there on the HD25-1, but not too bad. Still, the open DT440 sounds so much better and more natural for guitars. The HD25-1 has more high end detail, to the point of being harsh at times. I haven't stumbled across any recording that sounded harsh on the DT440, it may lose some of the finest details, but that's a compromise willingly taken. It's been a while since I've owned the HD25-1, so the bass comparison is tough. They may have been equal, however, the overall thicker, warmer presentation of the DT440 IMO puts a heavier emphasis on the bass than the brighter, thinner presentation of the HD25-1. Both are very forward sounding cans, and the HD25-1 has a narrower soundstage. Comfort is better with the DT440, the HD25 is a head-clamp until you break it in, and even then exerts some pressure.
That comparison may seem like I'm bashing the HD25-1. It wasn't my intention at all, I actually liked it very much, and you probably won't find too many closed cans that sound better, period.

Jul 19, 2004 at 12:38 PM Post #15 of 42
Quote:

Originally Posted by EyeAmEye
Elliot, yes, I decided to sell the HD595 because of this purchase.

Forgive me for further muddying the water, EyeAmEye, but your extensive comparison seems to suggest that you favour the 595 in most situations, yet this is the phone you're selling. If you read your comments again I think you'll see what I mean. Maybe you need to do a little more listening before someone makes an offer.
confused.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back