Beyerdynamic DT235 ?
Aug 4, 2010 at 12:09 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

magx

New Head-Fier
I'm looking for sub 80$ headphones. I'm going to use them unamped(!) along with Asus Xonar DX and sometimes with Ipod. I listen to all kind of music(Trance, Rock, Folk, Classical). So it has to be good all around efficient headphones, I don't really care if they are open or close.
I thought about Beyerdynamic DT235. They don't get much attention here for some reason, but the review at Headroom is great(also i read great review on them here).
If anyone own them/tried them and can compare them to other popular sub 80$ headphones like Grado SR60i, it will help a lot.

Thanks.

Aug 4, 2010 at 12:32 PM Post #2 of 9
I have a pair of DT 231's (which the 235 seems to be based on) and I can say that not everyone finds them to be very comfortable. If you have small ears, they are nearly circumaural. Since I have smallish ears, that's what happens to me...except they need to be adjusted or else the pinch right beneath the base of my earlobe in a soft spot right behind the jaw.

So, all I'm sayin' is: comfort might be an issue and some people think they aren't worth the money.

To me, they are baby beyers; they still have the house sound, but are rolled off in the highs a little bit and don't have a ton of bass impact. From what I understand, they are meant to be used for professional/recording purposes.

My old-school SR60's are much better for rock, but poor on classical music (due to soundstage/imaging)...I would say my 231's are a little mediocre with all genre's, but are best with something slow (like some jazz and classical).

Take these comments as you will.

-Nylan

Aug 4, 2010 at 4:41 PM Post #3 of 9
Ok thanks for the comment. Its not only dt235 or sr60, i still consider Koss PortaPro, JVC HARX700 and i can also get a used Sennheiser HD555 for around the same price.
Its going to be my first good headphones and im really not sure what to do :\

Aug 4, 2010 at 10:42 PM Post #4 of 9
OK its down to DT235 or SR60i. I also consider M50 despite it being much more expensive. The prices i can get are:
DT235: 65$
SR60i: 80$
M50: 120$ 
Which one will be the best for me? Does the M50 worth the extra $?

Thanks.

Aug 5, 2010 at 7:34 AM Post #5 of 9
I haven't heard the M50 to be able to give you a recommendation one way or another. I'm sure that some other member will hopefully chime in and give some context.

Otherwise, I would research the crap out of the M50 and see what genres people listen to on them.

Sorry I couldn't be more help.

-Nylan

Aug 5, 2010 at 1:17 PM Post #6 of 9
I already did a massive search on mid-range(sub 150$) all around headphones and this is how i came up with the M50. As far as i understand those are the best at this category(hope i'm not wrong).
I'm still not sure if if they worth investing over the DT235 or SR60i(bang for buck).
Any more people who heard the DT235 and can comment ?

thanks Nylan :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back