Beyerdynamic DT1350 and Fiio e10k - bloated bass and recessed mids?
Sep 9, 2015 at 6:20 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

Uriel41

New Head-Fier
Dear Head-Fi community

In the last couple of weeks, I've spent a rather unhealthy amount of time reading posts in the head-fi forums to decide what pair of headphones to get. I got and sold both an ATH m50x and a Sennheiser HD 598, the latter of which was a disappointment (I mainly listen to electronica and the laid-back, smooth sound-signature of the HD 598 wasn't my cup of tea). After testing a few more models, I ended up with a Beyerdynamic DT1350 that I use both at home and on the road. I absolutely love the clean and controlled sound of those cans.

A few days after I got the DT1350 I decided to purchase a Fiio e10k to further improve my listening experience. Yet when I listened to my music through my new DAC/amp, I wasn't sure what to think. Here's what I noticed:

+ significantly improved bass extension
+ improved soundstage
+ overall better sound quality (everything sounded more natural, less artificial)
- bass too dominant, bloated
- mids somewhat recessed

Now the two negatives on this list are currently troubling me. I've been trying to determine the cause of this sub-optimal listening experience. The fact that my "listening experience" is highly subjective complicates matters further. Since the e10k isn't supposed to affect the soundsignature, this is what I concluded:

- The bass isn't actually too dominant or bloated, it merely extends further and i'm not used to that
- motherboard of my PC might have emphasized the mids and the e10k puts them in their proper place

What do you guys think? Did I miss something?

Any help is greatly appreciated! :)

Best,
Uriel

Sep 10, 2015 at 12:03 AM Post #2 of 5
It could be something as simple as your initial testing procedure. If the first time you compared them, the volume wasn't level matched, but the E10K was even just a bit louder, of course it could have more bass. And then confirmation bias would kick in for any subsequent comparisons.

Also, just as a suggestion, are you using a media player that supports WASAPI? MediaMonkey, Foobar, and MusicBee are a few. Setting the output plugin to WASAPI instead of DirectSound can result in better audio quality.

If you have only has the E10K for a few days, I suggest listening with it--and only it--for a week. Then do some comparisons. :)

Sep 10, 2015 at 5:51 PM Post #3 of 5
Hey man, thanks for your response.

I really tried to make sure that the volume was the same when I did the testing, I definitely believe there's more bass. The question is: Is it truly bloated or does it merely extend further? I don't know man.

WASAPI though, I've heard about it. Got Foobar right before I started this thread, because I had read something about "bit-perfect" output. Yet I can't select WASAPI in Foobar, all I can select is my Fiio E10K (SPDIF). Perhaps it's because I don't have this thing called "ASIO"? I've read it can do damage, so I decided not to install it. Do you think I should?

Take care!
Uriel

Jul 21, 2016 at 4:36 AM Post #5 of 5
I think is your first conclusion:

- The bass isn't actually too dominant or bloated, it merely extends further and i'm not used to that.

This headphones improve a little with some amplification, bass is more extended and they get more sub-bass, there are more uper highs as well.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back