Beyerdynamic DT 990 600 ohm or 250 ohm?
Jun 26, 2012 at 11:54 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 41

juroden

New Head-Fier
I'm definitely going to purchase a pair of these, it's just a matter of which one to get. I'll be using these strictly for my desktop computer. The problem is, I only have an on-board soundcard. So there's no way it will be able to work the 600's or even 250's. However, I WILL be getting ASUS Xonar Essence STX card eventually (probably months down the line though), which can run up to 600 ohms.

I'm just wondering if I'll still be able to enjoy the 600's with my computer right now? Or will the volume be too low/not enough punch/etc? Even with volume maxed/using an equalizer?

IF it's basically unusable without an amp/sound card, how do the 250's fare?

Even if the 600's are a little weak, will it be worth it over the 250 in the end (once I get the soundcard)?

Jun 26, 2012 at 12:29 PM Post #2 of 41
Heya,

The different ohms are grossly over exaggerated here. I would suggest you get what you will be able to run. Sonically, the differences are minimal and probably not even discernable of the headphone itself, but more the amplifiers being used for them. The 250ohm and 600ohm are the same headphone with a different impedance rating, nothing more. The point is simply to match the right impedance with an appropriate amp. If you don't have something capable of running the 600ohm now, I wouldn't spend $200+ on a headphone and wait a few months to get something to power it later, you'll just have a headphone that you can't fully appreciate for a while and it will not be very useful or fun. I would get the 250ohm version now and get by with it. It still won't be fully powered, but a 600ohm headphone on something that can't power it will be very difficult to hear much of anything in the bassy regions from. You'll hear some treble and mids, but it will be soft and not dynamic at all. The 250ohm would be more appropriate, as it can at least power in some regard from most sources.

You could get a Fiio E10 ($60) now with a 250ohm DT990 and skip the STX all together.

Very best,

Jun 26, 2012 at 12:40 PM Post #3 of 41
Quote:
Heya,

The different ohms are grossly over exaggerated here. I would suggest you get what you will be able to run. Sonically, the differences are minimal and probably not even discernable of the headphone itself, but more the amplifiers being used for them. The 250ohm and 600ohm are the same headphone with a different impedance rating, nothing more. The point is simply to match the right impedance with an appropriate amp. If you don't have something capable of running the 600ohm now, I wouldn't spend $200+ on a headphone and wait a few months to get something to power it later, you'll just have a headphone that you can't fully appreciate for a while and it will not be very useful or fun. I would get the 250ohm version now and get by with it. It still won't be fully powered, but a 600ohm headphone on something that can't power it will be very difficult to hear much of anything in the bassy regions from. You'll hear some treble and mids, but it will be soft and not dynamic at all. The 250ohm would be more appropriate, as it can at least power in some regard from most sources.

You could get a Fiio E10 ($60) now with a 250ohm DT990 and skip the STX all together.

Very best,

Thanks for replying. The only thing is, I've been meaning to get a sound card for my PC for a while. I'm a big gamer/movie junkie and having onboard sound just isn't cutting it anymore. The Fiio E10 is basically half the price of the Xonar STX, so I think I'd rather just go for the sound card.

And yeah I realize the sound quality won't be great until I get the card, but once I do get it, won't the 600's be far better than the 250's? I found a pair of 600's on sale for 230$, which is why I want to buy them now. I can even use my older headphones if the quality is that bad until I get the sound card.

I guess I'm looking at more the long term here, rather than short term.

Jun 26, 2012 at 3:06 PM Post #4 of 41
I had 600ohm, I never liked it with any amp. I was going to get the balanced cable like Ray suggested but realized not worth the money spent on this entry headphone.

Get 250 ohm, there is a reason why 600 om is on sale.

Jun 26, 2012 at 3:07 PM Post #5 of 41
Quote:
\ won't the 600's be far better than the 250's?\

Heya,

No.

The impedance does not mean higher quality at all. It's just a rating for matching with amplifiers. The two headphones are the same otherwise. Get whatever you can properly power.

Long term, I would get a good headphone and then just get gear that matches it down the road.

Very best,

Jun 26, 2012 at 10:45 PM Post #6 of 41
Quote:
I'm definitely going to purchase a pair of these, it's just a matter of which one to get. I'll be using these strictly for my desktop computer. The problem is, I only have an on-board soundcard. So there's no way it will be able to work the 600's or even 250's. However, I WILL be getting ASUS Xonar Essence STX card eventually (probably months down the line though), which can run up to 600 ohms.
I'm just wondering if I'll still be able to enjoy the 600's with my computer right now? Or will the volume be too low/not enough punch/etc? Even with volume maxed/using an equalizer?
IF it's basically unusable without an amp/sound card, how do the 250's fare?
Even if the 600's are a little weak, will it be worth it over the 250 in the end (once I get the sound card)?

So, how many threads do you think you will start asking the same question?

Oct 15, 2012 at 3:48 PM Post #8 of 41
I agree that they're entry level audiophile phones... they were the first "good" headphones I got.  

The points of divergence are up for debate, and my opinion about the classifications doesn't echo my opinion about the performance of the headphones.  I liked the DT990s... until I heard the K701... which I liked until I heard the LCD-2... which I liked until...etc.  Stop at any point in the chain and you can be perfectly happy.  Just don't listen beyond your means if you're like me and can't settle knowing there's something better out there.  That's why I haven't auditioned the SR-009.  The LCD-3 is my limit... for now. :)

But yeah, the DT990s are entry level audiophile phones.

Oct 15, 2012 at 3:56 PM Post #9 of 41
They're fantastic headphones. People just wanna call them entry level because they didn't like the bass and treble oriented sound. Not everyone wants neutrality or rolled off treble. Damn trolls. If the treble is bothersome, they respond well to a treble reduction. There is no other fault in the DT990 at all, if you consider it a fault (I don't). The bass is emphasized but it's more like a DT880 EQ-ed for more bass, but better.

The difference as Mal stated is very miniscule. I currently have both the 320hm and 250ohm ATM, ad the 600ohm will be here in two days. I have already owned the 600ohm twice, with better equipment (I stepped down to a simpler setup).

The difference between the 32 and 250ohm is less than 5%. The difference between the 250hm and 600ohm is even less than that. Buy the one your equipment can run well. For the STX, it'd love the 250ohm best. The E10 would love the 32ohm best. The 600ohm will run well on the STX too, but not as well as the 250ohm.

Basically the only difference is that the 600ohm will take a powerful amp's inherent sound signature more than the other two. Seriously, it's apples vs apples.

Oct 15, 2012 at 4:16 PM Post #10 of 41
I just snagged a new pair of 600 ohm DT990s on amazon for $250 lastnight :D I think they sold out over night at that price though.

Fiio E9 and Titanium HD should work well with these right?

Oct 15, 2012 at 4:25 PM Post #11 of 41
Yep, the e9 will be fine. Might need to run it on high gain. Try it and see though. Lower gain that gets you the loudness you require will sound better.

gL!!

Oct 15, 2012 at 5:04 PM Post #12 of 41
To add:

As for the 32ohm, it definitely isn't as warm as the 250ohm. Like there's a noticeable lower growl in the 250ohm that isn't in the 32ohm. Just a very slight tilt in bass, that gives the sound slightly more body. It's actually pretty noticeable on music that isn't bassy. Enough to say that the 250ohm is definitely better. The 32ohm sounds slightly lean, dry, and analytical next to it. However, this makes the 32ohm clearer and more forward in the mids.

This is just with some music that isn't even bassy that I can tell. Like Radiohead's Paranoid Android. There's some lower end missing on the 32ohm that is there on the 250ohm.

If a song is bassy, that's when the differences slim down to them being very hard to tell apart.

Oct 15, 2012 at 5:08 PM Post #14 of 41
I guarantee the ones recommended are going to be:

Matrix M-stage

Schiit Asgard

Users who are viewing this thread

Back