Beyerdynamic DT 990 32 OHM or 250 OHM for gaming?
Jun 1, 2017 at 4:51 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

lbooth7

New Head-Fier
I recently bought the Sony MDR-XB950N1, and I've loved them since day 1, great for listening to music, specially bass-heavy music. Not so great for gaming though, even with the the "bass effect" turned off, the bass would heavily drown out the mids, and highs. And they are not so great for long sessions due to being battery-powered and the fact that they're just not that comfortable on my ears, since the inside of the cups is kinda shallow and the drivers are angled. So I decided to start looking into open-back headphones since I'll be using them just at home, for gaming. I've now seen tons of videos, forum threads, etc. and have settled on the Beyerdynamic DT 990 Premium.

Now, I'm trying to make a decision between the 32 OHM or the 250 OHM versions. The 32 OHM version costs around $150 on amazon, and the 250 OHM version around $210. $60 price gap between the two. If I get the 250 OHM version, I would definitely need to buy an strong, warm amp (considering most people say that the DT 990 are kinda high on treble). With the 32 OHM version I'm not sure if an amp would help.

So my questions are: Will I get much better sound with the 250 OHM + Amp, or the 32 OHM + Amp combo?
Which amp would you guys recommend for each version?

Jun 1, 2017 at 9:20 PM Post #2 of 13
Of the two, I think I would go with the 250 ohm version. The 32 ohm version has a bit of a slightly bloated bass compared to the tighter 250 ohm bass, IMO. The 250 just sounds a bit better. What is your budget for the amp?

Jun 2, 2017 at 12:18 PM Post #3 of 13
Of the two, I think I would go with the 250 ohm version. The 32 ohm version has a bit of a slightly bloated bass compared to the tighter 250 ohm bass, IMO. The 250 just sounds a bit better. What is your budget for the amp?
Do you think it's worth the extra $60 for the 250 ohm version?
My budget for the amp is $150 or less. I'll be connecting everything this way: Controller > xbox headset adapter > splitter > to mic and to amp > headphones. Does it sound like a good setup?

Jun 2, 2017 at 12:40 PM Post #4 of 13
If you're using the controller as the source I wouldn't spend much money at all on headphones. You'd be better off buying a MixAmp and some $100 headphones.

Jun 2, 2017 at 1:01 PM Post #5 of 13
If you're using the controller as the source I wouldn't spend much money at all on headphones. You'd be better off buying a MixAmp and some $100 headphones.
What setup would you recommend for best audio quality? I was also thinking on connecting the amp to the xbox and headphones, headphones as the sound output for the game and voice chat, and modmic directly to controller mic input. I wouldn't be able to control voice chat audio though, but I can trade that for a much better audio.

Last edited:
Jun 2, 2017 at 1:15 PM Post #6 of 13
I've also read good things about the Sennheiser HD650, and I think I can save up a little more if they're worth it. The reason being that I've heard the Beyerdynamic DT 990 are kinda sharp. If they are any close to the ATH-M50's sharpness then I can't handle them. The M50's are too sharp for my taste, and I hear that the HD650s are much more neutral. I'm using these exclusively for gaming btw.

Last edited:
Jun 2, 2017 at 1:35 PM Post #7 of 13
There is a gaming audio thread here that will offer better help. I own a PS4, but my buddy uses Astro MixAmp and likes it.

Jun 2, 2017 at 2:32 PM Post #8 of 13
The HD650 has a fairly intimate soundstage. It is a very good headphone, but I don't think it is best for gaming, based on the smaller soundstage. I would recommend something like an HD598 or HD599, an AD700X, or and X2, personally. The DT 990 does have fairly prominent highs, so I worry, based on your M50X experience, that you won't like the high end of the DT990. If you like bass, the X2 has it in spades, plus a big stage. The Senns also have a terrific stage. All this is for what it's worth, as YMMV.

Jun 2, 2017 at 3:14 PM Post #9 of 13
There is a gaming audio thread here that will offer better help. I own a PS4, but my buddy uses Astro MixAmp and likes it.

I'll be taking a look at that thread! Thank you!

The HD650 has a fairly intimate soundstage. It is a very good headphone, but I don't think it is best for gaming, based on the smaller soundstage. I would recommend something like an HD598 or HD599, an AD700X, or and X2, personally. The DT 990 does have fairly prominent highs, so I worry, based on your M50X experience, that you won't like the high end of the DT990. If you like bass, the X2 has it in spades, plus a big stage. The Senns also have a terrific stage. All this is for what it's worth, as YMMV.

Thanks for your opinion, very helpful. I was kinda worried about the highs on the DT 990 and I think I'll step back on those. And yes, a terrific soundstage and "neutral" sound is what I'm looking for. I can see the X2s being discussed everywhere, are they that good for gaming? And what about comfort? The DT 990 have big, round, deep cups which won't hurt the ears after long gaming sessions as I've heard. Comfort is a real concern for me, so are they(X2) as comfortable? I've done my research but I trust this community's experience.

Jun 2, 2017 at 4:55 PM Post #11 of 13
What setup would you recommend for best audio quality? I was also thinking on connecting the amp to the xbox and headphones, headphones as the sound output for the game and voice chat, and modmic directly to controller mic input. I wouldn't be able to control voice chat audio though, but I can trade that for a much better audio.
As your using a gaming console and I'm assuming your into FPS gaming, get an Astro mix-amp (used off eBay) and Audio Technica ATH-AD700 (or newer AD700X) headphones (used off eBay) and a modmic.

Jun 2, 2017 at 5:18 PM Post #12 of 13
As your using a gaming console and I'm assuming your into FPS gaming, get an Astro mix-amp (used off eBay) and Audio Technica ATH-AD700 (or newer AD700X) headphones (used off eBay) and a modmic.
I don't think the MixAmp is all that necessary now that the Xbox One supports Windows Sonic and Dolby Atmos for Headphones, which IMO makes any headphones sound much better. I've also read that that technology is much much better than a MixAmp.

Jun 2, 2017 at 7:19 PM Post #13 of 13
I don't think the MixAmp is all that necessary now that the Xbox One supports Windows Sonic and Dolby Atmos for Headphones, which IMO makes any headphones sound much better. I've also read that that technology is much much better than a MixAmp.
Ok, Hifimediy optical DAC ($59), O2 (Objective 2) or Schiit Magni headphone amplifier, modmic, ATH-AD700X headphones.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back