Beyerdynamic DT-880 and DT-990 review (pics)
Apr 21, 2007 at 12:22 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 129

euclid

Headphoneus Supremus
i'd like to share some opinions i have developed about the '05 DT-880 and 990 in 250 ohm. i have owned each for a few months and i have since sold both.

186_8616.jpg

the groundwork

my source is Meridian 596 DVD player, i have very much enjoyed the ownership of this machine. to me it represents a fantastic CD player and nearly flawless DVD player, the only expection is that a few menu systems in DVDs have locked the unit needing reboot. as an aside with the HDDVD hype the price on these have come down to the $1000 range, keeping in mind this is a 588 CD player with added video functionality it is a very good deal and i would highly recommend it after over a year of personal enjoyment.

the amp is Headamp GS-X, i have been through a few amps from a few different manufactures, including tubes. for my listening preference solid state has been the solution. in my experience the GS-X reaches a certain pinnacle of the expected SS sound. speed, resolution, detail, clarity, control, and dynamics. the background is black and the sound is transparant, there is very little to criticize about this amp, the seperate powersupply is a nice feature, i can leave the GS-X powered on 24/7 and i also use it as a preamp with great success..... i trust that the GS-X is acurately reproducing what my source is sending, no bloat, no boost, no color. i prefer to leave that task solely to the headphones and speakers.

i wont get into cables, i do feel they make a difference and i have settled on entry-mid level solid performers that i feel introduce the least flavor into the sound. price is a factor for me and i could spend all my free time and money buying/testing/selling cables and probibly never be satisfied so i wont bother.

basically i am comfortable with my upstream system synergy. it doesnt represent a no-holds-barred botique setup but i think it is a consistent and reliably decent performer that lets the sound go as far as the headphones will allow it. i am fairly convnced i am actually hearing the headphone in an honest and exposed state, for better or worse.

listening impressions:

first and foremost i really wanted to like both of these headphones. the Beyer DT-7/8/9 line represents a one manufacturer solution to reportidly different sound signatures with identical impedance and ergonomics, simply perfect on paper.

it was easily apparent to me that i didnt like either of them, and after hours of burn-in, listening and trying to adjust to the sound i absolutley could not pinpoint a strong-suit in either... with the exception of the DT-990 thunderous bass.
in order to understand exactly how i perceive these headphones i have to restate what has been said time and time again on Headfi and simply explain the essence of the overstement. i have read that the DT-990 is fun, yay. and the DT-880 is neutral.

the truth is they are both nearly the same headphone, they use similar sounding drivers( the DT-990 driver may be more bass heavy by design), variations of the same housing, and the same cable. tonally they sound EXACTLY the same, expect one is "open" the other is "semi-open" (see below pic). as an aside how/where does Beyerdynamic justify a $100 price difference between the two?

186_8632.jpg

186_8633.jpg

the DT-880 is sibilant, the highs are presented as the strong suit of the headphone and they are not expectionally detailed and are very far from acceptabley smooth. a cymbol sounds like an effect, in playback of every CD a cymbol is a cymbol is a cymbol. it is very hard to hear distingusting texture or nuance, grain is very noticable. IMHO the same holds true across the entire frequency range. the mids are grey and lifeless, the bass has little to no texture, its just bass, this is most obvious when listening to well recorded stand-up bass guitar which should have subtle reverberation pluck and strum, they are simply absent. bass is more a visual experience than a physical, it is slightly lean. the high end is absolutley the limiting factor when it comes to volume, you will know youve reached your listening level when the highs just shout relentlessly. but it comes at a point that the mids and low end have not yet reached full potential and sound slightly distant.

soundstage is decent, as is transpancy. imaging is good and instruments are positionable with decent air. this is the nature of the open design and i believe the source for the DT-880 praise.

the DT-990 sounds like the DT-880 but with way too much bass. not even quality bass, just bass. they hold the same inefficient charactisitcs, there is not enough detail or charcter to the sound. as i am listening im thinking "thats alot of bass, bass yeah theres some more, it sounded alot like the other bass which sounds like the bass i hear now, i can really feel it, wheres the music, wow the boom is really fatiguing my head." the soundstange, transparancy and imaging are accetabley good but fall short of the DT-880

just as the highend was the limiting factor for the DT880, the lowend is bloated to a disprotionate level on the DT-990, this limits the volume for balanced sound... at a point the mids and highs can not fully bloom and integrate into the music. this covers and plain prevents the sibilance i was hearing on the DT-880, but it also squashed the detail and dynamics. lossy MP3 (EQ'ed) have found a soulmate in the DT-990.

so i genuinely appolgise for those that may take offense to my impressions, but considering the scale of my disappointment on these highly praised headphones i felt it was an obligation of mine to better serve the community and share my honest thoughts. i would suggest the K-701, HD-580/600/650, Audio Technica ATH AD-2000 instead. they are all worth the extra money. if you must have one of these Beyers i rate the DT-880 as the better headphone, for music keep the volume alittle lower than you would like and they are acceptable, and the soundstage does well for movies. materials are all mid level plastic some aluminum, nothting spectatular but has a solid feel. comfort is good and cord is one-sided which is convieneint but makes me sceptical about best sound performace.

the winner by default:
186_8622.jpg

Apr 21, 2007 at 12:58 AM Post #3 of 129
Completely disagree with most of what you said. I feel the DT 880 is the absolute top of the "affordable"(sub $1000) dynamic headphones.

I'm really puzzled by the fact that you found them to share the same tonality. I have not heard the newest DT 990, but unless the new one is completely different, they aren't anywhere CLOSE IMO. I found the DT 990 to have some of the most exceptional bass quality given the quantity. It's extremely controlled and authoritative, without being fatiguing. I also was not aware they use the same driver, how did you verify this?

It sounds like to me that either your setup is very bright, or maybe you're sensitive to high frequencies(i.e. they're hitting all the "wrong" spots).

Excellent photography, and a very well written review, even though I disagree strongly
wink.gif
very_evil_smiley.gif

Apr 21, 2007 at 1:16 AM Post #4 of 129
Well, as a huge Beyer fan, I don't agree with most of this either, but I am glad that head-fi has lots of people with lots of opinions. I actually DO think that the DT990 and 880 sound more similar than most people think, and that the main difference is the DT990 has more bass. But that's about the extent to which I agree with the review on the subjective comments. To each their own.

Just one question - opon what do you base your statement that they use the exact same driver?

Apr 21, 2007 at 1:17 AM Post #5 of 129
just the nature of audio, i expect and welcome different opinions.

i dont feel my setup is bright, but its very detailed and the Beyers dont let that detail through, not just in the highs it's across the board. the tipping point is the terrible tonality, they are as engaging and convincing as a clock radio (thats an exagerration)

Apr 21, 2007 at 1:17 AM Post #6 of 129
I haven't heard the 880 but your are spot on about the 990. It is a decent headphone and would be worth it if it cost $150.

Apr 21, 2007 at 1:20 AM Post #7 of 129
Thanks for the review. It actually puts into words what I, for the most part, think of the DT990 and DT880. I would urge you to try both out with tube amps, they seem to do better on those than most SS amps I've tried. Other than that, with the GSX, you should be able to put a balanced HD650 on that and enter audio heaven.

I disagree that they are the same driver, but they do sound very similar to each other, obviously being from the same company and designers. Thanks for your impressions.

Apr 21, 2007 at 1:22 AM Post #8 of 129
Quote:

Originally Posted by granodemostasa /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I disagree that they are the same driver, but they do sound very similar to each other, obviously being from the same company and designers. Thanks for your impressions.

Agreed - I am almost certain they do NOT use the same driver, but I do agree they have many sonic similarities.

And I'd like to reiterate - this is an excellent review, irrespective of the fact that I feel differently. Nicely done.

Apr 21, 2007 at 1:34 AM Post #9 of 129
Quote:

Originally Posted by Skylab /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Just one question - opon what do you base your statement that they use the exact same driver?

i have 100% read it somewhere which i can not say is credible, but i can absolutely hear it. the GS-X has two 1/4" headphone outs, the DT8 and 9 are same impedance, i can literally A/B them and besides the volume adjustment needed to properly balance each pair they sound exactly the same. the DT990 isnt noticably sibilant b/c the low frequency energy just overpowers it, it takes significantly less volume for me to reach my listening limit on the DT990, the bass is too heavy, by running the Dt880 at that same level the upper mids and highs sound the same as the DT990 but the lowend it sucked out, that makes me boost the volume on the DT880 untill the body of the music starts to come alive but by that point the highs have gone to garbage.

a more ideal phone would sit right in the middle of the Dt880 and Dt990, neither is balanced IMHO.

Apr 21, 2007 at 1:36 AM Post #10 of 129
thanks for the compliments.

i think they would both do much better with a tube amp that will color them upstream. FWIW if your considering buying either of these heed the advice that if you feel your system is bass heavy get the DT-880, if its lean the DT990 will be a much better choice.

Apr 21, 2007 at 1:45 AM Post #11 of 129
Quote:

Originally Posted by euclid /img/forum/go_quote.gif
i have 100% read it somewhere which i can not say is credible, but i can absolutely hear it.

There was a thread right here on head-fi that discussed whether the dt770 through 990 use the same drivers, and I think it was confirmed that they do. I'll see if I can find this thread
k1000smile.gif

Apr 21, 2007 at 1:54 AM Post #12 of 129
Quote:

Originally Posted by denl82 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
There was a thread right here on head-fi that discussed whether the dt770 through 990 use the same drivers, and I think it was confirmed that they do. I'll see if I can find this thread
k1000smile.gif

Oops, guess I remembered what I read in that thread wrongly.

Quote:

^^taken from "Have Beyer improved the drivers on the new DT990/880s? Is there a definitive answer?"

Apr 21, 2007 at 2:24 AM Post #13 of 129
Quote:

Originally Posted by denl82 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Oops, guess I remembered what I read in that thread wrongly.

^^taken from "Have Beyer improved the drivers on the new DT990/880s? Is there a definitive answer?"

i may stand corrected on the drivers then and i will edit my impressions to reflect that.

never-the-less trust me the drivers are not much different and IMHO identical tonally. maybe Beyer modded the Dt-990 driver excursion to hit harder increasing the bass, i gave that credit to the more closed housing design. that bass difference is hugely noticable but its a variation of an identical sound and detail/articulation level which is plainly lacking. touting the DT990 as a more colorful sounding headphone is a misrepresetation IMHO.

Apr 21, 2007 at 4:34 AM Post #14 of 129
Thanks for the well laid out review euclid, which i do largely agree with. Also, as has been said, tube amplification with the proper tube choice did make the DT-990s ('05) I used, better performers than with my SS amps. I too wanted to like them, but I too finally moved on.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back