Beyerdynamic DT 880/990 or AKG K702, which is the best for Prog/Classic Rock.
Apr 30, 2021 at 2:31 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

gerlando

New Head-Fier
Hello there,
I would like to try a new headphone,
so I'm wondering which is the best choice between a Beyerdynamic DT 880/990 and AKG K702 for listening to Prog/Classic Rock.

I already have a Massdrop HD6XX and a HiFiMan Sundara.

Headphone amp is a Lehmann BCL.

Thank you in advance.
Mauro

Apr 30, 2021 at 10:55 PM Post #2 of 5
990 hands down!!

May 2, 2021 at 10:03 AM Post #3 of 5
Do you like bright sound signatures? If so Beyerdynamic’s DT 880 might interest you. As I have often said it is in simple ways the opposite of the Sennheiser HD650 (near identical to your HD6xx). You have the choice of different impedance with the Beyerdynamic models: 32Ω, 250Ω and 600Ω. The treble can be too piercing for some, this applies to the DT 990 as well. Because bass perception/level is related to volume this tends to make the DT 880 seem very ’lean’ and treble focused. Th Beyerdynamic’s are low cost however. You might want to look into the HD600 for a more neutral version of the HD650 or even a vintage HD580.

May 2, 2021 at 10:13 AM Post #4 of 5
Do you like bright sound signatures? If so Beyerdynamic’s DT 880 might interest you. As I have often said it is in simple ways the opposite of the Sennheiser HD650 (near identical to your HD6xx). You have the choice of different impedance with the Beyerdynamic models: 32Ω, 250Ω and 600Ω. The treble can be too piercing for some, this applies to the DT 990 as well. Because bass perception/level is related to volume this tends to make the DT 880 seem very ’lean’ and treble focused. Th Beyerdynamic’s are low cost however. You might want to look into the HD600 for a more neutral version of the HD650 or even a vintage HD580.
No, I don't like bright sound signatures at all,
I like my Sundara and HD6XX very much, so probably the DT 880/990 are not my cup of tea.
I have heard many people enthusiastically comment on the AKG K702s, perhaps these are more on the neutral side.

May 2, 2021 at 10:51 AM Post #5 of 5
AKG’s fall into the neutral-bright boat also. I did listen to a lot of rock/HM with my DT 880s and much depended on the mastering quality, but I would come across tracks where some instrument landed in one of the treble peaks that became uncomfortable. A great many headphones have emphasised treble because some like lots of treble, it makes the headphones seem detailed, brightness is inherent in high quality sound. The HD650 and others go against this and attenuate the treble and ‘dark’ headphones are quite popular.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back