Beyerdynamic DT-880/250 ohm Pad Replacement
Feb 19, 2018 at 6:49 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

luckybaer

Headphoneus Supremus
I've had my DT-880 for quite some time and today was the first time I've replaced the pads. I purchased the genuine article from Beyerdynamic [via Amazon], and noticed that the sponge filter included with the new pads was different from the sponge filter of the original pads. The original was a single-colored, single material - dark gray, thin, synthetic sponge. The new came with one side gray and the other black. The gray side seemed to be made of a similar material as the original. The black side was not sponge-like at all. It was not velour or sponge. Rather, it was almost tricot like - similar to material I have seen on the inside of track pants or lining light jackets. It is hard for me to describe, but it is a very familiar looking and feeling material.

The long and the short of it is this: the bass of the DT-880 is now almost over-powering. It already had great extension and clarity, but now the bass is almost "boomy" and taking center stage. It isn't as tight and refined as it used to be. I hesitate to call them "fart cannons" now, but I am close. I'll give them some time, and if I don't start liking them, I think I'll take the new sponge/tricot-like filters out and replace them with the old, sponge-only filters.

Has anyone else experienced this?

Feb 19, 2018 at 8:10 PM Post #2 of 4
lol... I figured out what was causing the problem. I was fiddling around with the settings on my Loki the other day, and left the bass adjustment (20 Hz) knob at 3 o'clock...

I flipped the bypass switch down, and that eliminated most of the boominess. They still sound a little more "bass-y" than with the older, broken in pads, but they are much more tolerable. And, I've got the Loki on, with the bass adjustment knob set to 11 o'clock, midrange and treble knobs to 1 o'clock to compensate.

Good grief...

Still tempted to put the old pads back on.

Feb 20, 2018 at 11:06 AM Post #3 of 4
This is disappointing. I'm not happy with the change in sound signature. I've tried authentic Beyerdynamic replacement pads (black instead of silver - I wonder if that's the issue?) and Dekoni sheepskin pads. Both change the sound signature for the worse. This didn't happen when I replaced the pads on my DT-770/80 PRO (actually sounded better) or on my AKG K601. Arrrgh. I'm going to toss the black ones in the wash and dryer and see if that helps beat them into submission.

Feb 20, 2018 at 8:28 PM Post #4 of 4
I have both the black and silver pads for my DT-990 pros, and the black pads are bassier, no question. They're a bit firmer foam, which I believe causes the darker signature. I prefer the black pads, but the silver pads do have a lighter sound with a more open soundstage.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back