Beyerdynamic DT 770 vs Sennheiser HD 598 ?
Jan 13, 2013 at 5:16 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

Lohb

Headphoneus Supremus
Hi everyone, just a quick question about my first plunge into buying $200+ cans.

Right now I've narrowed my choice down to Beyerdynamic DT 770 vs Sennheiser HD598.....

I will also be buying a headphone amp, namely the JDS Labs altoid mint tin one that can have minor tweaks in it to make up for deficiences on some cans.

I am a basshead primarily and also going to get back into ambient again.....I like the idea of the Sennies sound immersion technology and I know from reading they are a bit deficient on the bass front but they seem to warm up after break in and the headphone amp seemed to juice up the bass from reviewers...............Am I just wasting time thinking I can cover all frequency quality ranges with these Sennies ? I don't need my teeth to fall out but I like some fat bass at times.

The Sennie set is also 100 pounds/$160US dearer after taking into account speaker lead cable upgrade from Oyaide (HPC-35HD598/1.3m) from ebay to bypass cable stick/tangle issues and also getting a smaller earphone cable connect so no adapter needed.

I'm just worried I can get an adequate sound with the Beyer's and don't need to spend the extra but the Sennies look really different (like a prop from inside Nostrommo ship in Alien(1979) !) and they ranked way higher than the Beyers on this site I think .

Any basshead/ambient types experienced both headsets ?

Jan 13, 2013 at 5:39 AM Post #2 of 5
I've heard the DT 770's we're a bass heavy headphone and the HD 598 was a more balanced sounding can.  While I don't have the 598's personally, I have it's predecessor the 595's.  The bass is present but it's not as prominent as other cans in that price range. 

Jan 13, 2013 at 10:06 AM Post #3 of 5
Quote:
I've heard the DT 770's we're a bass heavy headphone and the HD 598 was a more balanced sounding can.  While I don't have the 598's personally, I have it's predecessor the 595's.  The bass is present but it's not as prominent as other cans in that price range. 

that's because one is closed and one is open, the dt 770 would be better for him since he's a basshead 

Jan 13, 2013 at 10:21 AM Post #4 of 5
Yes, the Beyers look meaty after reading a recent thread but I wonder if the burn-in/better lead cable and the JDS lab headphone box will really "Pump up the Bass"............the Sennies look so cool and the 3-d immersion or whatever it is is interesting.........!

Jan 14, 2013 at 7:25 AM Post #5 of 5
Decide on the Beyer's and if I really use cans a lot will get HIFIMAN HE-400's later after reading about entry level planar gear...sounds great.
Beyer's stepping stone to the next level !

Thanks for tips and views !

Users who are viewing this thread

Back