Beyerdynamic DT 770 amping?
Mar 27, 2011 at 8:25 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 16

onebandonesound

Head-Fier
I just bought the Beyerdynamic DT 770 32 ohm edition today from B&H, and I already love how comfortable they are and they sound really nice too. My question is exactly how much will they benefit from a portable amp? I'm not expecting REO-esque differences, but will it be worth dropping $60-120 on something like a PA2V2 or a Mini3? I would use it also with my Fischer DBAs, and to a lesser degree, my klipsch S4s and my Superlux HD668Bs.

Mar 28, 2011 at 12:12 PM Post #2 of 16
In that range I'd say the PA2V2 is a good choice, it should drive Your phone's with ease. Or keep looking around to see what else might be available in the Head Gear section or look under the Sell/Trade forum. 
L3000.gif

Mar 28, 2011 at 3:29 PM Post #4 of 16

Quote:
I just bought the Beyerdynamic DT 770 32 ohm edition today from B&H, and I already love how comfortable they are and they sound really nice too. My question is exactly how much will they benefit from a portable amp?

It will add more soundstage, bass, and a fuller sound.

What about the Fiio e7? 

Mar 28, 2011 at 5:27 PM Post #5 of 16
I'm not really looking for a dac, just a portable amp. if I'm on my computer listening to music, I'm usually listening in the background and I'd rather spend roughly 30 dollars less than get a feature I wont use that often...

Mar 28, 2011 at 6:03 PM Post #7 of 16
I just tried them with my friends mini3, which has +5 gain, and, to my ears, they sounded a little worse amped than unamped. running from the amp, they feel a little veiled, the highs arent as sparkly and the bass isnt as impactful, the complete opposite of what i was expecting. I was hoping for the change in sound you get when you amp REOs, namely that thumping bass and dynamic engaging highs. Is this just unique to this amp, is it worth trying another amp? or should I just forgo it altogether?

Mar 28, 2011 at 8:23 PM Post #8 of 16
You could look at the Fiio E5 portable amp only, not sure how much You might get it for. Check out the For Sale/Trade forum's You might find one there used!

Jun 3, 2011 at 12:45 PM Post #10 of 16
even though they are 32 ohm, the still need good amount of power.  they are insensitive.  i would guess fiio e7.  as someone else said above, you definately will notice a huge jump in bass and over all soundstage and richness,

I have the same pair and am looking for a desktop amp to replace my pioneer reciever.
im thinking cute beyond or little dot I+.

anybody had experience with any of these?

Jul 7, 2011 at 8:59 AM Post #11 of 16
Quote:
even though they are 32 ohm, the still need good amount of power.  they are insensitive.  i would guess fiio e7.  as someone else said above, you definately will notice a huge jump in bass and over all soundstage and richness,

they are insensitive? the specs look like they have normal sensitivity.

Jul 20, 2011 at 12:39 AM Post #12 of 16
I own a DT770 - 32 ohm as well. I amp mine with an e7 and really the only sonic improvement I noticed was a tad bit wider soundstage and crisper bass on the timbre. It was also easier to hit those bass notes with the added power

Jul 20, 2011 at 1:17 AM Post #13 of 16

Quote:
I own a DT770 - 32 ohm as well. I amp mine with an e7 and really the only sonic improvement I noticed was a tad bit wider soundstage and crisper bass on the timbre. It was also easier to hit those bass notes with the added power

Really?  Hmm thats interesting.  I would say the difference is large.  I wonder why the difference?  Could be my portable sources are just really bad.  Or who knows.  unamped mine are pretty sloppy without much clarity.  And with amp i get deep bass extention lots of punch, impact and accuracy across the spectrum(still scouped a bit in the mids though)

Jul 21, 2011 at 3:00 PM Post #14 of 16
Quote:
Really?  Hmm thats interesting.  I would say the difference is large.  I wonder why the difference?  Could be my portable sources are just really bad.  Or who knows.  unamped mine are pretty sloppy without much clarity.  And with amp i get deep bass extention lots of punch, impact and accuracy across the spectrum(still scouped a bit in the mids though)

The biggest amping difference that I noticed was when I listen to the DT770s out of my E9. I've kind of come to the realization that while the DAC in the e7 is awesome, the amp isn't that great. Getting the large amounts of power made all the difference in the world, and with that I get a big difference unamped vs. amped. But, unfortunately, I only get that luxury at my desk! 

Jul 21, 2011 at 3:26 PM Post #15 of 16
right on!  that sub bass is soooo nice when they got some power behind em

Users who are viewing this thread

Back