Beyerdynamic DT 1990 PRO - Beyer's open-back mastering headphone
Jan 12, 2017 at 4:12 PM Post #646 of 4,790
I haven't heard the K712 specifically, but I have heard a number of the K7 series, and yes, the DT1990s are very much on another level for tone and detail. However they don't have the soundstage of the K7 series, but then again, I always found that to sound somewhat artificial, often leaving an empty space in the middle where there really should be something going on. The DT1990s have a narrower soundstage, but one that's more cohesive and realistic IMO

Thanks

Jan 12, 2017 at 4:13 PM Post #647 of 4,790
One of the biggest differences is how much strong the dynamics are on the DT 1990, especially in the bass. The bass will be a massive improvement over the AKGs, the mids aren't quite as forward but they aren't what I call recessed. Treble is a bit different, little less energy in the lower treble but the treble is also more refined and less fatiguing, I find the DT 1990 a tad darker with balanced pads. They resolve more detail, better clairty, are less fatiguing, more refined, etc. They are on another level. DT 1990 Soundstage wise a bit smaller and more intimate with the balanced pads. But with the analytical pads I find the soundstage notably larger. The DT 1990's sound is very system dependent you can get some completely different results, it goes from dark to bright, narrow to very wide, etc. depending on the system. The dynamics consistently stay quite strong I noticed. A simple tube change can essentially double the soundstage size and change the sound character quite notably on the DT 1990, never quite experience the K712 transform from system to system near as much as the DT 1990 can.

Unlike other K7 series, the K712 isn't all that wide sounding, but the K712 gains more focus, cohesiveness, and sound more natural than any other K7 AKG. I would actually say the vocal/instrument tonality of the DT 1990 is pretty similar but better than the K712 just as the K712 is pretty similar to the HD 600, just the DT 1990 pretty much does everything better and is more dynamic and lively. 

Note: The K712 is the only K7 AKG I actually liked and I've heard every single variant of the K7 family.

I understood thanks

Jan 12, 2017 at 4:44 PM Post #648 of 4,790

So to my understanding, if the mids aren't quite as forward then the DT 1990 is even less neutral and vocals will be pushed further backward? Is it the case for both the analytic and balanced pads?

How is the clamping force of the DT 1990 comper to the K712?

Can you compare the K712 and Amiron?

Judging from pictures, it seems to me that the build quality of DT 1990 is significantly better than that of the Amiron. Is it a correct assumption?

It's not as forward in the upper mids, the mids are sweeter, more musical, and cleaner though. The mids show a little more on the analytical pads as the mid-bass is toned down and the treble is a bit more even.

The DT 1990 clamps like the HD 650, so quite a bit more clamp.

I only heard the Amiron once and not as familiar with them.

The Amiron is better made than what the pictures suggest, both are very well made. The difference is the Amiron has more plastic(high quality plastic) and the DT 1990 has more metal. I like the appearance and feel of the DT 1990 more. But the Amiron is more comfortable, has less clamp, and feels lighter on the head. The Amiron reminds me more of the T1.2 in terms of comfort but a bit more comfy. 

Jan 12, 2017 at 5:16 PM Post #650 of 4,790
  It's not as forward in the upper mids, the mids are sweeter, more musical, and cleaner though. The mids show a little more on the analytical pads as the mid-bass is toned down and the treble is a bit more even.

The DT 1990 clamps like the HD 650, so quite a bit more clamp.

I only heard the Amiron once and not as familiar with them.

The Amiron is better made than what the pictures suggest, both are very well made. The difference is the Amiron has more plastic(high quality plastic) and the DT 1990 has more metal. I like the appearance and feel of the DT 1990 more. But the Amiron is more comfortable, has less clamp, and feels lighter on the head. The Amiron reminds me more of the T1.2 in terms of comfort but a bit more comfy. 

thanks!

Jan 14, 2017 at 4:22 PM Post #651 of 4,790
Been reading here since a few years but finally registered to join the discussion :D

Im currently using the DT1990 with the balanced pads with a Denon DA-300USB DAC+AMP and im pretty happy. Since several sites mentioned the amp portion of the Denon is pretty bad i ordered a Beyerdynamic A20 Amp which sounded just as good as the Denon (of course it could go louder but i dont wanna blow my ears). So i sent it back.

So in the end i still dont know if this a great combo already or if i should test a few more amps. I heard a lot good about the Chord Mojo, and how it should pair really well with Beyerdynamics. Since I would only use it at home i dont really need the portable part. Are there better options for the price if i dont need the mobilty?

tldr: any good amp advice for the 1990s ?

Jan 14, 2017 at 4:47 PM Post #652 of 4,790
  Been reading here since a few years but finally registered to join the discussion :D

Im currently using the DT1990 with the balanced pads with a Denon DA-300USB DAC+AMP and im pretty happy. Since several sites mentioned the amp portion of the Denon is pretty bad i ordered a Beyerdynamic A20 Amp which sounded just as good as the Denon (of course it could go louder but i dont wanna blow my ears). So i sent it back.

So in the end i still dont know if this a great combo already or if i should test a few more amps. I heard a lot good about the Chord Mojo, and how it should pair really well with Beyerdynamics. Since I would only use it at home i dont really need the portable part. Are there better options for the price if i dont need the mobilty?

tldr: any good amp advice for the 1990s ?

Littledot MKIV SE OTL Tube Amp sounds really good with them.  As does the Cavalli Liquid Carbon and the Chord Mojo.

Jan 15, 2017 at 12:51 PM Post #653 of 4,790
Hey guys, I am trying to choose between these cans and the Audeze EL-8 Open Back - and really have trouble deciding... Any other suggestions around 500 bucks are welcome of course :)

I mainly want to use them to assist with mixing the low end a little, where my Adams start to roll off, but also just for overall enjoyable listening. I DO NOT want having to use a dedicated headphone amp to drive them.

So, I’ve read the DT 1990s reviews so far - and they were all quite enthusiastic to say the least, so I actually have a strong tendency towards them now (also, because I know Beyerdynamics quite well). 
But I’ve also thought about buying a pair of planar magnetic cans for quite a while now… I’ve looked at the frequency response curve of the EL-8 - and it looked pretty damn impressive imo… A nearly flat response from 15Hz upwards … Pretty close to the LCDs too I would think. https://www.audeze.com/sites/default/files/images/EL8_Open_KU100_FR.jpg

But a lot of people seem to have issues with the EL-8s, so I am not so sure anymore. How does resolution and soundstage compare between these and the Audezes (are they too "HiFi" sounding)? I've read kicks sound super clear on the DT 1990s, which would be a big plus in my book for the Beyers too. They can have a little „OMPH“ in the low end, that’s fine by me - but I guess that’s true for both of them.

And I have to say, I really like the overall comfiness of Beyerdynamics - over time you learn to appreciate it and that it’s definitely a factor, you shouldn’t underestimate… So, is this an issue with the Audezes?

What do you guys think would be the better fit? I appreciate your time :)

Jan 15, 2017 at 2:15 PM Post #654 of 4,790
  Hey guys, I am trying to choose between these cans and the Audeze EL-8 Open Back - and really have trouble deciding... Any other suggestions around 500 bucks are welcome of course :)

I mainly want to use them to assist with mixing the low end a little, where my Adams start to roll off, but also just for overall enjoyable listening. I DO NOT want having to use a dedicated headphone amp to drive them.

So, I’ve read the DT 1990s reviews so far - and they were all quite enthusiastic to say the least, so I actually have a strong tendency towards them now (also, because I know Beyerdynamics quite well). 
But I’ve also thought about buying a pair of planar magnetic cans for quite a while now… I’ve looked at the frequency response curve of the EL-8 - and it looked pretty damn impressive imo… A nearly flat response from 15Hz upwards … Pretty close to the LCDs too I would think. https://www.audeze.com/sites/default/files/images/EL8_Open_KU100_FR.jpg

But a lot of people seem to have issues with the EL-8s, so I am not so sure anymore. How does resolution and soundstage compare between these and the Audezes (are they too "HiFi" sounding)? I've read kicks sound super clear on the DT 1990s, which would be a big plus in my book for the Beyers too. They can have a little „OMPH“ in the low end, that’s fine by me - but I guess that’s true for both of them.

And I have to say, I really like the overall comfiness of Beyerdynamics - over time you learn to appreciate it and that it’s definitely a factor, you shouldn’t underestimate… So, is this an issue with the Audezes?

I've only heard the EL-8 briefly but I did find them a bit too heavy and the headband seemed to bother me. Sound wise I only heard the EL-8 shortly so can't comment. The DT 1990 are very efficient, of course they sound best on a dedicated amp but are perfectly fine even off portable devices. I don't recall EL-8 being hard to drive either.

I can't give you a say on which I think sounds better, I can at least attest the Beyers are more comfortable. Hopefully someone else can give you a comparison of the two sonically.

Jan 16, 2017 at 7:00 AM Post #655 of 4,790

While I have the EL8 open and I love it, there is so much variations in them between units and with the new drivers from Dec 2105 on its hard to say.  Mine are from the original batch of early 2014 and have not been changed over to the newer driver since I really like them, better than my LCD-2f.  Agree with @kman1211 that they can be too heavy for some but I find them decent in comfort and can use them for a few hours at a time.  FWIW I've tried the newer drivers a few times and like my older driver better, bass and mids nicer and its very easy to drive from even my crap Galaxy S5 

Jan 18, 2017 at 9:54 AM Post #656 of 4,790
 Nice rounded sound. Spatial (relating to, occupying, or having the character of space)  information (reverb etc)  in the music is reproduced very effectively on these headphones. There is a clear distinction between the spatial character in the music that the Beyerdynamic DT 1990 (open) produce and the Audio-Technica ATH-MSR7GM (closed).

More distinctly (whilst listening to the same track on the same tech source)  the Beyerdynamic DT 1990 effectively reproduce the impression that the music is in a "space", whilst the Audio-Technica ATH-MSR7GM produce a more " in the head" perception. Whilst both interpretations are accurate objectively, the DT 1990's are more of a "natural" reproduction of music.

Humans have evolved to hear sounds in their environment. The DT 1990's don't enclose and compress (muddy) the spatial signals like the Audio-Technica ATH-MSR7GM. However, if the sounds in your environment are comparably a load of s--t (noise) then the Audio-Technica ATH-MSR7GM do a fine job of blocking out that noise whilst reproducing a more pleasant sound.

Closed headphones, IEM, Buds etc are a individuals response to the environments the music is being listened within rather than a choice for better audio quality (musicality). All things being equal , open headphones are better at producing music in everyway.

note: I'm sure it must of already been mentioned within this thread, though a note about the openness of these headphones.As open headphones go, the DT1990 are quite veiled  from external sounds,than for example Sennheiser hd 518. It's a noticeable difference between the two headphones.

Jan 20, 2017 at 2:03 AM Post #657 of 4,790
Is there anyone here who also owns the JVC DX1000 phones and can compare them to these 199o's in terms of bass?

Jan 22, 2017 at 1:28 PM Post #658 of 4,790

The talk about amps having an effect on the listening experience is mostly religious. Unless you go the tube amp way, every half-decent amp will sound pretty equal to one another. (Tube amps don't necessary sound any better, as they are mostly described to produce more jitter and sort of distortion.) The thing that's undoubtedly wrong with the Denon DA-300USB is that it lacks output power. That means it might not be able to drive the most demanding headphones with loud enough volume. I own the same piece and currently use it to power my pair of T 90s. I am thinking about buying the DT 1990 too or maybe even T1.

Jan 22, 2017 at 3:22 PM Post #659 of 4,790
Anybody has tried the DT 1990 with the Dragonfly Red? Or any suggestion of a solid state amp? Schiit Magni 2? I just sold my HA2SE, it worked fine with the DT 1990 Pro but for nearly £300 I was not so convinced by the output power, yet its portability is also not impressive. Thus I am thinking about investing on a portable dac/amp and separate powerful desktop amp. I am using the Roland Quadcapture (24/192) as the desktop DAC. Would love to a have a clean, flat and neutral sound signature.

Jan 22, 2017 at 3:56 PM Post #660 of 4,790
  The talk about amps having an effect on the listening experience is mostly religious. Unless you go the tube amp way, every half-decent amp will sound pretty equal to one another. (Tube amps don't necessary sound any better, as they are mostly described to produce more jitter and sort of distortion.) The thing that's undoubtedly wrong with the Denon DA-300USB is that it lacks output power. That means it might not be able to drive the most demanding headphones with loud enough volume. I own the same piece and currently use it to power my pair of T 90s. I am thinking about buying the DT 1990 too or maybe even T1.

Imo the output power is really poor but its enough to power the 1990s. I dont go over -10dB which is really loud already, probably too loud for more than 5 minutes of listening to it. The problem i had was thinking, that the voltage of the Denon may not be high enough to feed the 1990 enough even at moderate volume levels, but i guess my fear was unnecessary. I ordered the Chord Mojo now which sounded extremely good at first.. now switching back to the Denon they both sound the same. Mojo can go louder obviously but for normal to loud listening sessions the sound the same to me. I guess most audio differences with higher price stuff is just a placebo at best :xf_eek:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back