Beyerdynamic DT-1770: Product Info, Discussion and Impressions
Apr 8, 2016 at 7:59 AM Post #1,936 of 3,701
So does anyone think the Beyer peak is still there? The treble/upper mids, the sheen on vocals, all that can get a little hot especially on high volumes. Turning the volume down helps, but it gets more fun with more volume. What a Dilemma. So a warmer amp/DAC with smooth treble might be a good match. Any contenders? What pairs well?

No, no I don't. The treble on the DT1770 is obviously present and clear, but more refined. It's certainly not hot in as in the DT880/990, but the detail is better.

I'd actually go as far to say that the DT1770 is very forgiving of DACs and Amps in that they'll probably never sound harsh, but the better the dac/amp is the better the reward.

I have to say that my DT1770 spends most of its time being driven from an iPod touch 5th gen, and they still sound surprisingly good.

Apr 8, 2016 at 8:31 AM Post #1,937 of 3,701
So does anyone think the Beyer peak is still there? The treble/upper mids, the sheen on vocals, all that can get a little hot especially on high volumes. Turning the volume down helps, but it gets more fun with more volume. What a Dilemma. So a warmer amp/DAC with smooth treble might be a good match. Any contenders? What pairs well?

No, I don't think the Beyerdynamic peak is there I'm the DT 1770, which is one of the reasons I got the DT 1770. I think it's a fairly well balanced headphone with a kick in the bass department.

Apr 8, 2016 at 9:49 AM Post #1,938 of 3,701
I'd actually go as far to say that the DT1770 is very forgiving of DACs and Amps in that they'll probably never sound harsh, but the better the dac/amp is the better the reward

They definately sound harsh on high volumes here. Im using my cellphone, a sound blaster z and a vintage marantz receiver. Same hot treble on all of them.

Apr 8, 2016 at 1:49 PM Post #1,941 of 3,701
They definately sound harsh on high volumes here. Im using my cellphone, a sound blaster z and a vintage marantz receiver. Same hot treble on all of them.

Try a better source. With DT1770 Pro, you get what you feed it.

Apr 9, 2016 at 9:42 AM Post #1,942 of 3,701
  Hello again!

I received my DT-1770 last week end. At first I wasn't too impressed mainly because I love ATH-M50's over-exaggerated bass with the Fiio D10 DAC's bass booster. DT-1770 was more refined with a wider sound stage. Kind of reminds me of my old Plantronics gaming headset with emulated 7.1 surround sound in terms of sound stage width. I lost bass from switching Fiio to the Uber Schiit stack. I used Blue Jeans' RCA cable for low capacitance. 

However, after two days of various music the DT-1770 was able to distinguish instruments more clearly than ATH-M50. Bass wouldn't muffle them either, even though I used Windows 10 Bass Boost (75 hz, 3 dbs) AND a soft bass boost equalizer preset for foobar2k. Both are very weak bass boosters so it shows you that DT-1770 doesn't need much of a boost and that's it just a personal preference.

I know most people have AISO setup but Schiit doesn't have Win10 AISO drivers yet so I didn't bother. I also tend to limit the Windows volume to 50% instead of 100% because I want the amp to drive the headphones a bit more. The Schiit knob is on very low when I have it at 100%. With 50%, I can play around with it and move it a bit. My ears are sensitive so even at 50% on Windows, I have foobar2k at around -15 to -12 decibels via volume controI.

In terms of QA: They function however the leather band housing is loose and needs to be tighten. Someone posted a quick fix here with pictures. It was just unscrewing open the band, re-aligning the housing, and fastening it back. I can't seem to find the instructions but they were simple that I can do it without them. It's just a cosmetic fix.

If anyone has any idea on how to squeeze fatter bass out of the DT-1770, without sacrificing too much of the quality, then I'd like to know! I would also like to know what's the software settings on Windows 10 users (foobar2k and windows mixer).

Thank you,

-Erwin

I used this site http://mynoise.net/NoiseMachines/whiteNoiseGenerator.php for a day or 2 to burn in the 1770's. I used a louder volume than I would ever use when listening.
In windows 10 my volume is at 100% and the volume of AIMP is also at 100%. I use the Chord Mojo volume control.
You might have noticed already, but the pleather earpads give more bass than the velour.
For boosting the bass, I use the Bass function of AIMP. It just amps the bass a little without equalizing the whole spectrum. Great for EDM!

Apr 9, 2016 at 4:24 PM Post #1,943 of 3,701
I finally decided that I am going to keep my old T5pV1 and let go of the DT-1770. The lack of intimacy with vocals in DT-1770 is something I just cannot get used to. Also there is a better clarity and open window to vocals with T5p. No matter how technically good the DT-1770 are I just feel like home every time I use T5p. Maybe the second version of T5p is a better match for me. 

Apr 10, 2016 at 2:06 AM Post #1,944 of 3,701
  I used this site http://mynoise.net/NoiseMachines/whiteNoiseGenerator.php for a day or 2 to burn in the 1770's. I used a louder volume than I would ever use when listening.
In windows 10 my volume is at 100% and the volume of AIMP is also at 100%. I use the Chord Mojo volume control.
You might have noticed already, but the pleather earpads give more bass than the velour.
For boosting the bass, I use the Bass function of AIMP. It just amps the bass a little without equalizing the whole spectrum. Great for EDM!

This is what I have with 24-bit /192k Hz. I'm using the V-Shape preset for the F2k EQ. I also used Windows bass boost to compliment it, although its weak at 3 dB. I tried using the IIR filter but it's too restrictive for me. I has ASIO and WASAPI modules set up but they run in exclusive mode. I tend to game while listening to music so I use DS.

Apr 10, 2016 at 7:38 PM Post #1,945 of 3,701
Oh man, very slick.
biggrin.gif

Nice photos!

Thx guys, here's a quick vid on that cable and another one without mic that I got:

Apr 11, 2016 at 10:34 AM Post #1,946 of 3,701

This is what I have with 24-bit /192k Hz. I'm using the V-Shape preset for the F2k EQ. I also used Windows bass boost to compliment it, although its weak at 3 dB. I tried using the IIR filter but it's too restrictive for me. I has ASIO and WASAPI modules set up but they run in exclusive mode. I tend to game while listening to music so I use DS.

Hmm. I think that Bass boost of yours is specific to your soundcard. Mine doesn't have that option. Neither the onboard Realtek or the Mojo. 
I use the following function though, without touching the equalizer at all:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back