Beyerdynamic DT-1770: Product Info, Discussion and Impressions
Apr 3, 2016 at 5:20 PM Post #1,922 of 3,701
Someone told me that FURUTECH's ADL iHP-35X cable are "really great, they are the cable to own absolutely with a DT1770".
I didn't get a chance to try it myself unfortunately.

I have several Furutech cables and they are very high quality cables. I do hear an improvement, but not sure if I could pick out the Furutech from the original in a blind test (haven't tried). Normally when I have the same volume level on the amp and just switch cable it's like the OCC cable sound fuller and more precise (almost like the volume level is a little higher with the OCC cable). I must say though that the improvement is very subtle and probably not worth the price of these cable because they are very expensive. Most of the time I buy them because I need shorter length like 1.3 meters - don't have any use for 3 meter cable when listening to music at my desktop.

If you are using usb dac's as a source I think you would get better benefit of trying out products like Audioquest Jitterbug, USB Regen, Ifi iPurifier 2, Wyred4Sound Recovery (especially if the dac is solely usb-powered).

Cables can provide perhaps 2-3% improvement, where these usb-filters can provide perhaps 5-10%. Still the improvement is at most subtle and maybe not worth investing in. Many companies have great return policies so it can be worth to try it out at least.

Apr 3, 2016 at 6:20 PM Post #1,923 of 3,701
Any one changed cables for an improvement in SQ?

Someone told me that FURUTECH's ADL iHP-35X cable are "really great, they are the cable to own absolutely with a DT1770".
I didn't get a chance to try it myself unfortunately.

I have several Furutech cables and they are very high quality cables. I do hear an improvement, but not sure if I could pick out the Furutech from the original in a blind test (haven't tried). Normally when I have the same volume level on the amp and just switch cable it's like the OCC cable sound fuller and more precise (almost like the volume level is a little higher with the OCC cable). I must say though that the improvement is very subtle and probably not worth the price of these cable because they are very expensive. Most of the time I buy them because I need shorter length like 1.3 meters - don't have any use for 3 meter cable when listening to music at my desktop.

If you are using usb dac's as a source I think you would get better benefit of trying out products like Audioquest Jitterbug, USB Regen, Ifi iPurifier 2, Wyred4Sound Recovery (especially if the dac is solely usb-powered).

Cables can provide perhaps 2-3% improvement, where these usb-filters can provide perhaps 5-10%. Still the improvement is at most subtle and maybe not worth investing in. Many companies have great return policies so it can be worth to try it out at least.

I get cables just for changing the length. The most I've paid for a cable is $40, usually pay 15 to 25 dollars and they sounds as good as the stock cables. I do not think expensive cables are worth the price of admission.

Apr 3, 2016 at 8:18 PM Post #1,924 of 3,701
Well 10 hours of very loud burn-in with pink noise fixed the distortion in my pair. I guess these headphones just some need some brutal burn-in when the driver starts distorting. Sound also became more centered. So anyone coming across sudden distortion or channel imbalance out of nowhere, try this to see if it fixes the issue.

Apr 5, 2016 at 1:48 PM Post #1,926 of 3,701
Among the ones who got crackling or sound distortion, what was your serial number?

I'm considering modding my DT1770 but my serial number is only 00581 which kind of refrain me from doing so.

Apr 7, 2016 at 6:49 AM Post #1,928 of 3,701
  Just landed from Germany. New DT1770pro in stock and ready to ship. You get everything you see in the pic. Brand new!

http://wooaudio.com/headphones/

FYI, the stand I received from Woo with the DT1770 headphones was the less expensive $34 Model: HPS-H, not the more expensive adjustable $69 HPS-R which is displayed in the picture.  Somewhat disappointed because the stand is too short for these headphones (cable hits and bends on bottom of stand), but $539 with free shipping for both, I'll accept it.

Apr 7, 2016 at 7:14 AM Post #1,929 of 3,701
I got serial number 33xx and its perfectly fine. No channel imbalance, no rattling sound etc

Among the ones who got crackling or sound distortion, what was your serial number?

I'm considering modding my DT1770 but my serial number is only 00581 which kind of refrain me from doing so.

Finally fourth DT1770 pair just received from Woo audio (serial # 03553) so far after several hours playing, is perfectly balanced and sounding fantastic!  The last pair sent back to Amazon over a month ago was serial number 02484.  Seems they may have fixed their QC issue with this batch.
smily_headphones1.gif

Apr 7, 2016 at 12:47 PM Post #1,930 of 3,701
Hello again!

I received my DT-1770 last week end. At first I wasn't too impressed mainly because I love ATH-M50's over-exaggerated bass with the Fiio D10 DAC's bass booster. DT-1770 was more refined with a wider sound stage. Kind of reminds me of my old Plantronics gaming headset with emulated 7.1 surround sound in terms of sound stage width. I lost bass from switching Fiio to the Uber Schiit stack. I used Blue Jeans' RCA cable for low capacitance. 

However, after two days of various music the DT-1770 was able to distinguish instruments more clearly than ATH-M50. Bass wouldn't muffle them either, even though I used Windows 10 Bass Boost (75 hz, 3 dbs) AND a soft bass boost equalizer preset for foobar2k. Both are very weak bass boosters so it shows you that DT-1770 doesn't need much of a boost and that's it just a personal preference.

I know most people have AISO setup but Schiit doesn't have Win10 AISO drivers yet so I didn't bother. I also tend to limit the Windows volume to 50% instead of 100% because I want the amp to drive the headphones a bit more. The Schiit knob is on very low when I have it at 100%. With 50%, I can play around with it and move it a bit. My ears are sensitive so even at 50% on Windows, I have foobar2k at around -15 to -12 decibels via volume controI.

In terms of QA: They function however the leather band housing is loose and needs to be tighten. Someone posted a quick fix here with pictures. It was just unscrewing open the band, re-aligning the housing, and fastening it back. I can't seem to find the instructions but they were simple that I can do it without them. It's just a cosmetic fix.

If anyone has any idea on how to squeeze fatter bass out of the DT-1770, without sacrificing too much of the quality, then I'd like to know! I would also like to know what's the software settings on Windows 10 users (foobar2k and windows mixer).

Thank you,

-Erwin

Apr 7, 2016 at 9:24 PM Post #1,932 of 3,701
  FYI, the stand I received from Woo with the DT1770 headphones was the less expensive $34 Model: HPS-H, not the more expensive adjustable $69 HPS-R which is displayed in the picture.  Somewhat disappointed because the stand is too short for these headphones (cable hits and bends on bottom of stand), but $539 with free shipping for both, I'll accept it.

The promotion changed since my post on Head-Fi. We feel that customers would enjoy $60 cash savings + FREE $34 value HP stand + FREE shipping more. This is a bigger savings than free adjustable stand ($69 value) + free shipping. 

Anyone who wants to pay full price for DT1770 Pro $599 to receive FREE adjustable HP stand + FREE shipping, we can accommodate that. 
beerchug.gif

Apr 7, 2016 at 10:08 PM Post #1,933 of 3,701

The promotion changed since my post on Head-Fi. We feel that customers would enjoy $60 cash savings + FREE $34 value HP stand + FREE shipping more. This is a bigger savings than free adjustable stand ($69 value) + free shipping. 

Anyone who wants to pay full price for DT1770 Pro $599 to receive FREE adjustable HP stand + FREE shipping, we can accommodate that. 
beerchug.gif

I placed my order the very next day after your post first appeared with that 'promotion'...  I would have gladly paid $599 and received the adjustable stand that was advertised with free shipping, as it is the only model the DT1770 sits on properly.  The picture was misleading right from the start.

Apr 8, 2016 at 7:43 AM Post #1,934 of 3,701
So does anyone think the Beyer peak is still there? The treble/upper mids, the sheen on vocals, all that can get a little hot especially on high volumes. Turning the volume down helps, but it gets more fun with more volume. What a Dilemma. So a warmer amp/DAC with smooth treble might be a good match. Any contenders? What pairs well?

Apr 8, 2016 at 7:58 AM Post #1,935 of 3,701
So does anyone think the Beyer peak is still there? The treble/upper mids, the sheen on vocals, all that can get a little hot especially on high volumes. Turning the volume down helps, but it gets more fun with more volume. What a Dilemma. So a warmer amp/DAC with smooth treble might be a good match. Any contenders? What pairs well?

I found the Sony UDA-1 to pair very well with the DT 1770. Don't get any fatigue or heat from the treble at all.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back