Beyerdynamic DT-1770: Product Info, Discussion and Impressions
Feb 23, 2016 at 3:34 AM Post #1,726 of 3,701
Yeah you're right about the planar like bass. I could probably sell off my th900s and be content with these I'm that impressed by them. They sound good with anything I've thrown at 'em. I'm currently just using mine through my Mojo and I'm delightfully surprised and the quality and cleanliness of the sound I'm getting. To my ears they have the perfect balance of treble where tonality and detail don't seem to be compromised yet they're not zingy and artificial.

They honestly sound like an amalgamation of some of my favourite past headphones.

To be honest, I don't expect it to sound this good. However, it turns out the best headphone I tried in CanJam.

In comparison, the Oppo PM-2 sounds artificial to me. The T1 V2, underwhelms in bass. The Hifiman HE1000 is just expensive and nothing especial (my demo is only limited to Hifiman's setup and their music collection). Never had the chance to try HD800S though. 

Feb 23, 2016 at 4:18 AM Post #1,728 of 3,701
So far, DT1770 is the best closed hp I have found to date. Period.
smily_headphones1.gif

I am leaning towards the same assessment. But, not ready to declare it yet until I do a thorough comparison with Ether-C. 
beyersmile.png

Feb 23, 2016 at 9:44 AM Post #1,732 of 3,701
I slightly prefer my Alpha Primes, but the DT1770s are pretty darn close. These Beyers are the best all-arounders. But there are a few areas - primarily in ergonomics - where the Beyers are definitely superior.

The fact that they're smaller and easier to drive are other huge pluses. They sounded awesome out of my Oppo HA-2 I'm really surprised there isn't more love for them. I suppose the $400 Oppo PM-3 probably has something to do with that, idk.

Feb 23, 2016 at 10:12 AM Post #1,733 of 3,701
I have been enjoying my pair of DT1770's but I find that one side of the headband seems to pop out. like the material underneath the padding for the headband seems to end before the plastic pieces on that side. If I unscrew the two screws on each side do you think I will easily be able to fix this without disrupting anything else?

In that second picture, you can see that whatever the material is underneath the headband is, it seems to end before the plastic. 

Feb 23, 2016 at 10:40 AM Post #1,734 of 3,701
I have been enjoying my pair of DT1770's but I find that one side of the headband seems to pop out. like the material underneath the padding for the headband seems to end before the plastic pieces on that side. If I unscrew the two screws on each side do you think I will easily be able to fix this without disrupting anything else?

That shouldn't happen on a relatively new $600 headphone unless it's been abused.

In that second picture, you can see that whatever the material is underneath the headband is, it seems to end before the plastic. 

Your unit is still under warranty from Beyerdynamic. I would advise against fixing it yourself as that will probably void the warranty.

Where did you purchase them? My favorite vendor, @SonicElectronix, handles warranty claims with manufacturers for faster service.

See if your vendor will swap you in a new pair and deal with Beyerdynamic directly.

Feb 23, 2016 at 11:06 AM Post #1,735 of 3,701
Your unit is still under warranty from Beyerdynamic. I would advise against fixing it yourself as that will probably void the warranty.

Where did you purchase them? My favorite vendor, @SonicElectronix, handles warranty claims with manufacturers for faster service.

See if your vendor will swap you in a new pair and deal with Beyerdynamic directly.

Good suggestion,

I contacted the retailer and they are out of stock but say the order they have might be backordered. I am awaiting to hear from them. I am within the 30 day return window for amazon. I might just see if I can return and buy a new pair. but I think the warranty way might be best if I cannot find all the box materials (not sure if I have them, its been a busy month).

Feb 23, 2016 at 11:18 AM Post #1,736 of 3,701
Good suggestion,

I contacted the retailer and they are out of stock but say the order they have might be backordered. I am awaiting to hear from them. I am within the 30 day return window for amazon. I might just see if I can return and buy a new pair. but I think the warranty way might be best if I cannot find all the box materials (not sure if I have them, its been a busy month).

Amazon is good with returns. As a rule, I always keep my boxes in case this happens, or I want to sell them down the road.

They're out of stock right now at lots of places.

Feb 23, 2016 at 11:19 AM Post #1,737 of 3,701
Amazon is good with returns. As a rule, I always keep my boxes in case this happens, or I want to sell them down the road.

They're out of stock right now at lots of places.

I usually do, but I might have had to purge my boxes when I cleaned my apartment recently. Not sure until I get home if it is gone. I think it is still there, but not 100% sure, only like 90%

Feb 23, 2016 at 12:00 PM Post #1,738 of 3,701

You will not void the warranty by opening the plastic end cap. The headband cushion is replaceable. To do that one would have to remove both caps anyways. Just remove both sides with the correct torx driver realign the cushion and call it a day. Just shift the cushion a little further to the side that is loose and that's it. I already did it even though it was far less than with your can, to make it look more accurate. I had the chance to talk for 30 minutes to the proud project leader of this cans development team on the IFA last year and he told me how to replace the headband cushion then.

Feb 23, 2016 at 12:05 PM Post #1,739 of 3,701
You will not void the warranty by opening the plastic end cap. The headband cushion is replaceable. To do that one would have to remove both caps anyways. Just remove both sides with the correct torx driver realign the cushion and call it a day. Just shift the cushion a little further to the side that is loose and that's it. I already did it even though it was far less than with your can, to make it look more accurate. I had the chance to talk for 30 minutes to the proud project leader of this cans development team on the IFA last year and he told me how to replace the headband cushion then.

Thats great news. I have the right screw drivers at home, I will try and remember to bring them home or bring the screw drivers into work tomorrow. Any illustrated instructions on the procedure so I can prepare what I will see and be more comfortable making this adjustment? I used to work at a computer repair center and am fairly good at taking things apart but new things I always try and find sample information/illustrations/pictures of what I am about to do before I  just jump right in.

Feb 23, 2016 at 12:53 PM Post #1,740 of 3,701
Thats great news. I have the right screw drivers at home, I will try and remember to bring them home or bring the screw drivers into work tomorrow. Any illustrated instructions on the procedure so I can prepare what I will see and be more comfortable making this adjustment? I used to work at a computer repair center and am fairly good at taking things apart but new things I always try and find sample information/illustrations/pictures of what I am about to do before I  just jump right in.

If I find the time I will take some pics later, I just came home from work. It's around 7 pm here.

Here you go. Do this on both ends and then you can shift the cushion to center it.

:)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back