Beyerdynamic DT-1770: Product Info, Discussion and Impressions
Nov 28, 2015 at 7:05 AM Post #1,066 of 3,701
  I use mine with the WA6 and Lyr 2.  Sounds great on both of them.  Unfortunately ,the right driver is starting to fail on my DT1770's.  I started getting nasty distortion, sounds like the driver membrane is blown.  Anyone else having any problems with their's?   I'm really disappointed since I recently purchased a pair of T1 gen 2's that had to be exchanged due to rattling in the earcups and now this. 

I'm worry about quality as well, that for sure laptops and PC do have failures as well, the warranty are there to cover you and you should be happy.

Nov 29, 2015 at 1:38 AM Post #1,067 of 3,701
Is it worth it to replace my current Beyer T70 with the newer DT-1770 headphones?

Right now I find myself using the T70 more then my other headphones, guess I like the clarity.
So trying to find out if the new DT-1770 are a noticeable improvement, over the T70?

Nov 29, 2015 at 4:58 AM Post #1,068 of 3,701
Is it worth it to replace my current Beyer T70 with the newer DT-1770 headphones?

Right now I find myself using the T70 more then my other headphones, guess I like the clarity.
So trying to find out if the new DT-1770 are a noticeable improvement, over the T70?

To me they are a clear improvement over the T70, but I have to admit that I never especially liked the T70: just too bright and bass-shy for my taste. The DT1770 are much more balanced and don't exhibit that prominent treble -- so if that's what you're after you might want to look at the T5p instead.

Nov 29, 2015 at 8:24 AM Post #1,069 of 3,701
To me they are a clear improvement over the T70, but I have to admit that I never especially liked the T70: just too bright and bass-shy for my taste. The DT1770 are much more balanced and don't exhibit that prominent treble -- so if that's what you're after you might want to look at the T5p instead.

Hi , what do you think about the DT1770 Pro vs the Ultrasone Sig Pro ? Thanks in advance .

Nov 29, 2015 at 10:33 AM Post #1,070 of 3,701

Hi , what do you think about the DT1770 Pro vs the Ultrasone Sig Pro ? Thanks in advance .

I prefer the DT1770 by a wide margin (though others may well have differing views on that), they are more neutral to me, better balanced and offer much nicer treble, which can sound a touch sibilant and miss shimmer on the Sig Pro. The Sig Pro folds flat and has smaller cups of course, so its easier to take out. The headband of the DT1770 is much nicer and more comfortable, the cups are deeper and less sweaty (at least the velour pads, did not check the pleather pads).

Nov 29, 2015 at 11:18 AM Post #1,071 of 3,701

I prefer the DT1770 by a wide margin (though others may well have differing views on that), they are more neutral to me, better balanced and offer much nicer treble, which can sound a touch sibilant and miss shimmer on the Sig Pro. The Sig Pro folds flat and has smaller cups of course, so its easier to take out. The headband of the DT1770 is much nicer and more comfortable, the cups are deeper and less sweaty (at least the velour pads, did not check the pleather pads).

Thanks for the reply , i already have the DT1770 , and like it very very much , it is the best sounding of all the Beyerdynamic's that i use too have (T5P , T70P) , but i use to have the opportunity for a SigPro demo unit for a very reasonnable price (450Euros) Do you think it 's worth the price to have a second can to go with my beloved DT1770 ?

Nov 29, 2015 at 11:25 AM Post #1,072 of 3,701

Thanks for the reply , i already have the DT1770 , and like it very very much , it is the best sounding of all the Beyerdynamic's that i use too have (T5P , T70P) , but i use to have the opportunity for a SigPro demo unit for a very reasonnable price (450Euros) Do you think it 's worth the price to have a second can to go with my beloved DT1770 ?

I'd say that depends on your intention and maybe the status of your collection (if you are collecting that is :wink:... both are closed back, maybe you want to go for an open headphone instead? Even if you want to keep with closed headphones there are options I'd personally prefer (the Massdrop THX00 being one of them btw.). To me the DT1770 is really a much better sounding headphone, so I'd skip the Sig Pro even at 450,- (don't forget that replacing the pads is rather expensive with the Sig Pro and a demo unit may have had some usage already).

If interested you can always PM me for other suggestions of course, I don't want to derail this thread too much.

Nov 29, 2015 at 11:51 AM Post #1,073 of 3,701

I'd say that depends on your intention and maybe the status of your collection (if you are collecting that is :wink:... both are closed back, maybe you want to go for an open headphone instead? Even if you want to keep with closed headphones there are options I'd personally prefer (the Massdrop THX00 being one of them btw.). To me the DT1770 is really a much better sounding headphone, so I'd skip the Sig Pro even at 450,- (don't forget that replacing the pads is rather expensive with the Sig Pro and a demo unit may have had some usage already).

If interested you can always PM me for other suggestions of course, I don't want to derail this thread too much.

OK , i'll make the decision ( to keep or let it go)  when i received the SigPro  , i buy the SigPro for the price and for it's impedance that is much more easy to drive , i'm not collectioning , i prefer to have 2 cans instead of just one , i'm not interested about open headphones because my main use it's for a on the go listening . Thanks a lot for your help . Regards .

Nov 29, 2015 at 11:59 AM Post #1,074 of 3,701

OK , i'll make the decision ( to keep or let it go)  when i received the SigPro  , i buy the SigPro for the price and for it's impedance that is much more easy to drive , i'm not collectioning , i prefer to have 2 cans instead of just one , i'm not interested about open headphones because my main use it's for a on the go listening . Thanks a lot for your help . Regards .

If you're looking for a mobile closed headphone more similar to the DT1770 than the Sig Pro, you might want to try out the DT1350. Excellent for its size (on-ear though), robust and small.
But if you're getting the Sig Pro, let us know how it compares to the DT1770 in your opinion. I'm too lazy to get mine out of the box I have to admit... its already packed up for sale. The Sig Pro that is, not the DT1770.

Nov 29, 2015 at 12:11 PM Post #1,075 of 3,701

If you're looking for a mobile closed headphone more similar to the DT1770 than the Sig Pro, you might want to try out the DT1350. Excellent for its size (on-ear though), robust and small.
But if you're getting the Sig Pro, let us know how it compares to the DT1770 in your opinion. I'm too lazy to get mine out of the box I have to admit... its already packed up for sale. The Sig Pro that is, not the DT1770.

OK , will give my impressions about SigPro vs DT1770 , thanks about the DT1350 , but on ear cans is not for me .

Nov 30, 2015 at 5:20 AM Post #1,076 of 3,701
My DT1770 got a brother today. The unit from my college showed up today at my desk. Made a short comparison. Both sound identical, mine seems to be a little more open in all areas. This must be due to its long usage, I.e. Burn in. But that is only very subtle.

Nov 30, 2015 at 5:23 AM Post #1,077 of 3,701

Nov 30, 2015 at 10:59 AM Post #1,079 of 3,701
Received my DT 1770's on Saturday and, to confirm everyone else's feedback, these headphones are spectacular. Currently listening to them through an E17k Alpen 2 DAC/Amp and they are truly amazing. I'm using the leatherette pads for better isolation (hate background noise, even at home where it's quiet) and superior bass (as some claim), have not tried the velours personally though. I have a Schiit Bifrost Multibit + Asgard 2 on the way, we'll see how much more they open up then! Super excited...

Previously I did all my listening through DT 770s (250 Ohm). The 1770s are a clear upgrade in every way. The biggest difference I notice is the soundstage - the 770's are great, but instruments are more condensed in the "middle" of the stage. With the 1770's the instruments separate spectacularly (much easier to detect slight panning of instruments). On songs with a great drum mix this is especially apparent (the soundstage is such that you almost feel the drum set is directly in front of you, with cymbals and toms wrapping around - Dream Theater's "Scenes from a Memory" album is AWESOME, even if not a popular reference album here). To me this is by far the biggest advance with this headphone, and the trickle-down affects many things (better bass, better detail, more enveloping sound, etc.)

As a result of the added "volume" and separation, I also prefer the bass on the 1770's. I wouldn't consider myself a bass head but I love tightly-controlled bass with good presence and a wrap-around, "enveloping" sound (especially sub-bass). On my 770's I was EQ'ing bass +6 on the E17k (I assume this is dB, but readout does not have a unit) as this "filled out" the sound a little more. Moving to the 1770's I've adjusted the EQ down to +2 and may even revert to 0 because the soundstage is so wide and the bass reproduction so good (though definitely not overwhelming or excessive).

Apparent build quality is superb, my 770's actually do feel kinda cheap in comparison (never thought I would say that, given their good construction!) No issues yet with rattling drivers.

If anyone really enjoys their 770's and has the budget for these, I highly, highly recommend them! They are by far the best headphones I've ever heard. That said, they're also the only $500+ pair I've ever heard, and the rest of my list is fairly short and sweet:
- Beyerdynamic DT 770, 250 Ohm - Own, like very much and previously this was my favorite headphone
- Sennheiser HD 598 - Own, and love the detail they can achieve but I never had a "wow" moment or fell in love with them. Technically I could tell they were accurate but they seemed a little anemic, like there was always something "missing" (yes the bass was lacking, but something else too... never truly clicked with these headphones, probably selling them soon)
- VModa M-100 - Listened to a friend's pair for a few minutes and I disliked everything about these headphones, from the uncomfortable fit to the exceedingly narrow soundstage (though they were unamped and I only had a few minutes to try them)

Really excited to try these through MultiFrost / Asgard 2 and see where that takes them!

Nov 30, 2015 at 10:43 PM Post #1,080 of 3,701
welcome onboard and sorry for your wallet...
BTW, i think this time Beyer did every thing right on the dt1770 pro, which is slightly inferior to their flagship audiophile model T1 2nd generation and almost on par with T90, an open back model, according to some review here in China.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back