Beyerdynamic DT-1770 Mod Thread
Mar 10, 2019 at 12:23 AM Post #32 of 90
Does anyone know the pinout of the 3-pin mini XLR?
Does the shield/drainwire go to one of the pins or the connector body?
I have the Switchcraft TA3FLBX connector
Thanks!

Mar 10, 2019 at 11:45 AM Post #33 of 90
Anyone know of a mini xlr to 4.4 cable that I can use on the go with my zx300? Would like 1.2 to 1.5 m. Prefer $75 or less.

Mar 30, 2019 at 3:47 AM Post #36 of 90
suppose it's all there to tune the sound but you gotta remember that whenever you tune sound using foam and membranes you also take away alot of details, directness and ease in the music. In the extreme case scenario imagine listening to a pair of headphones through a pillow, how good does that sound? Ideally you want as little as possible between your ears and the headphone drivers. The more direct path the better, the rest is EQ if needed.
I came in here fearing that you would blurt the opposite of all that.
But yeah, when tweaking the sound with physical modifications, sticking stuff between the ears and the drivers should be avoided in general, something some fellow modders don't quite get around here.

Treble harshness is a result of the drivers' vibration energy radiating into the surrounding material then that material returning the vibrations to the driver (or so my pet theory goes, ha), and Dynamat Xtreme is my go-to dampening material to alleviate this situation.
Well whatever is going on, Dynamat brings welcome improvement. Depending on where you place it, it can improve bass response, soundstaging, eliminate treble harshmess (and sometimes even some treble peaks), improve transparency, eliminate grain, and more depending on the headphone.

If you only listen to classical or midrange focused music, and have no problems with open cans, I think you should still listen to and consider the HD600/650, and probably the new Hifiman 400S as well. But if you specifically want a closed set of cans with a neutral reference type sound, and which can play a bit of everything, these are you babies right here.
"Neutral reference" as you call it here IS the best for classical.
Basses have "sonic information" in the midrange and treble, especially midrange. Without good bass, the "foundation" of classical music will be lacking, which is not how it is meant to work, not how it is meant to be performed live. Treble affects all, even imaging to an extent, and good soundstaging is preferred, so good treble is preferable. Then the midrange cannot sound its very best without good treble, and to a lesser extent, good bass.

That said, there are plenty who consider HD600 their "neutral reference" headphone. I don't even begin to agree, but that's just me. I do not find HD600 neutral, it definitely has more of a flavor of its own than what would be "ground truth" of sound.

On a related note, HD6x0 have a pronounced "organic" quality to the sound that makes acoustic instrument timbres come through with a higher degree of "believability" or something that is uncommon among headphones. Heck, this is part of the Sennheiser house sound in general, in my experience, as you can also hear this in HD25, HD559, PX200, HD205, and so forth, to varying degrees. SRH840 and the Hifiman RE0 are a couple of "organic-sounding" outliers, akin to Sennheisers, for example. This sonic quality helps boost HD6x0's reputation as a classical can.

Lastly, I am so loving the sound of all these Tesla Beyers that have been coming out. Can't wait to score a DT1990, or I may just go with 1770 instead.

Apr 7, 2019 at 1:01 PM Post #37 of 90
Anyone done a balanced mod on these? Would love to do that, but it's beyond my expertise.

Apr 11, 2019 at 4:11 PM Post #38 of 90
Apr 11, 2019 at 6:30 PM Post #39 of 90
Wouldn't you have to do a total headphone rewire? I was thinking like the Amiron or T5p.

Apr 11, 2019 at 6:37 PM Post #40 of 90
Wouldn't you have to do a total headphone rewire? I was thinking like the Amiron or T5p.

There's one wire running from the left driver to the jack, as seen in this picture. https://i.imgur.com/V5FNCKA.jpg

The other wire is the one to the right side. So to do balanced, you'd just need to wire the left positive and left ground from the one wire, and then the one from the right side you'd disconnect from the left driver, cut it at the connector, and wire it to the jack.

Apr 11, 2019 at 10:03 PM Post #41 of 90
That sounds easy, but the one time I soldered, I killed the driver and ruined the headphone, so that makes me nervous.

Option wise, I think I'd prefer to send to custom cans I'm or equivalent and 2 the dual input like T5p.2.

Last edited:
Apr 12, 2019 at 10:52 AM Post #42 of 90
That sounds easy, but the one time I soldered, I killed the driver and ruined the headphone, so that makes me nervous.

Option wise, I think I'd prefer to send to custom cans I'm or equivalent and 2 the dual input like T5p.2.

Opening up a hole on the other side might be more difficult than it seems, that shell is a decently thick metal.

Apr 12, 2019 at 11:18 AM Post #43 of 90
I'm open either way, just not sure I'm the guy to do it. If you want to make a youtube video showing me how, I would be more open, or if you want to tell me how much it would cost, I may be open to shipping them to you to do it, and then doing a 4.4mm cable for it at the same time. Let me know.

Apr 18, 2019 at 12:15 AM Post #44 of 90
15555610871817984025576250915760.jpg
1555561030155341165701015444788.jpg
So, mass drop is doing a 177x Go model. Z reviewed it. He hates the 1770, I guess, but tried all kids of pads on the 177x and concluded the brainwavz XL hybrid are the way to go. So, I have an XL pair lying around. I did 4-5 sets of A/B with the regular rounds, and the XL sounds better. More soundstage opens it up I guess? Better separation, fuller vocals--it just sounds better, so I put them full time.
1555561030155341165701015444788.jpg

May 11, 2019 at 8:04 PM Post #45 of 90
Hey guys,

Just install the damping and mass loading mod on my 1770, and then the bass port sticker, which makes the port smaller. Thoughts: It seems to smooth out the tone overall. Bass is not as boomy. Vocals seem more prominent. Treble seems a bit more refined. Isolation is improved. Totally worth the 20 minutes and $11.50. Here is the link to order: https://customcans.co.uk/s/s/index....ervice/beyerdynamic-detachable-cable-mod.html

Here is the instructional vid they made. The damping is slightly different, but not that different: there is just a circle in the middle of the back of the cup.

Really happy with these with the XL pads the I sewed (poorly), and the new mod. When music is on, I can't hear anything else in a noisy gym, and the XL gives more space and seems to increase clarity.

Note: Hard to do an A/B with 20 minutes in between, so my impressions are not totally scientific. I would need 2 pairs of 1770's side by side to be sure, but it seems that they sound better with the damping and mass loading. Not sure how to explain it, but just a bit better clarity, and separation, and maybe slightly more even, less V shaped, even though I like a V shape with good mid bass.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back