Beyerdynamic 990 Pro 250 ohm vs Audio Technica ATH-AD900X
Dec 6, 2014 at 12:43 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

Abouna

500+ Head-Fier
Well I couldn't resist the Amazon deal on the Beyers so ordered some.

I've now tried them against my ATs and am wondering if they need either some burn in or a better AMP.  I'm running them both through my Topping TP30 DAC/AMP and frankly the ATs have WAY more sound stage and are way more forward.  Yes the Beyers have more bass but I wasn't really for more bass (though the ATs could use just a hint more), but they also have some pretty harsh highs.

I'm ready to be corrected that it's either my amp (had to turn it almost all the way up whereas the ATs need almost nothing) or they are just too new.

Any comments appreciated.

Dec 7, 2014 at 1:11 AM Post #2 of 4
  Well I couldn't resist the Amazon deal on the Beyers so ordered some.

I've now tried them against my ATs and am wondering if they need either some burn in or a better AMP.  I'm running them both through my Topping TP30 DAC/AMP and frankly the ATs have WAY more sound stage and are way more forward.  Yes the Beyers have more bass but I wasn't really for more bass (though the ATs could use just a hint more), but they also have some pretty harsh highs.

I'm ready to be corrected that it's either my amp (had to turn it almost all the way up whereas the ATs need almost nothing) or they are just too new.

Any comments appreciated.

AD900X should be more neutral than DT990s.

Anyway, your brain is accustomed to AD900X's sound, so the right way to compare them should be using only DT990s for some days (20 listening hours or so) finding those recordings that make DT990s sound great, and then go back to your ADs.

DT990s treble has a lot of presence but is also very clear and revealing so they tend to sound good with very clean, uncompressed recordings, and definitely over bright with most modern (non 'audiophile') music.

Not saying DT990s should be better than AD900x, don't get me wrong, just suggesting a good way to run a comparison.

Best Luck!

Dec 10, 2014 at 2:08 AM Post #3 of 4
Give them some time say 50 hours of playing time. Mine sounded as you explained but they became so smooth now. Out of my warm dac/amp Aune X1 pro they sound pretty smooth lush and clean as well.
I am totally sold to this combo.
Just give them some time they will reach there. For me difference was much noticable and now they are stable at very yummy sounding state.

Dec 11, 2014 at 6:14 AM Post #4 of 4
My Beyerdynamic 990 Pro 250 ohm have settled down and sound great with my iBasso, not in the same league as my Stax SR Lambda Pros but not bad for the price and good bass balanced and smooth now with about 100 hours n them :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back