Beyerdyanmic DT990 Premium (250 Ohm) vs. Philips Fidelio X2
Jun 4, 2015 at 11:01 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 1

Optimusnog

New Head-Fier
Hi all, this will be my first post here but I have been doing quite a bit of reading lately.

I have been looking for a set of headphones in the $200-$300 range for the primary purpose of Gaming (RPG's, Strategy, MOBA, bit of FPS), with some listening on the side (EDM, Hip-Hop, Alternative).    From all the research I have done it sounds like the Philips X2 are a great choice for all my purposes and they retail for $250 on Amazon + Shipping to Canada.  

However, Massdrop just started a drop for the Beyerdynamic DT990 Premium (250 Ohm) and from the "Mad Lust Gaming Guide" thread and some other research I hear these are great for my purposes as well.  These would be $240 at the full drop price + $15 Shipping to Canada, so basically the same cost.  On a side note, I have also heard the AKG K7XX are good and go for $200 when they were dropped recently but I just missed it.

So, what is the better choice for me here, I understand that I probably will need some kind of entry level DAC/AMP as well since I am currently just using a MOBO soundcard on my PC.  I was likely considering something like the Aune T1, or the Schiit Magni + Modi, or the Fiios E17, but perhaps there is a better combo for these Headphones out there...

Also, FYI own a pair of Beats that I got a long time ago and use for on-the-go listening, not sure if these could just work for me and save me the cash?  I am well aware of the opinion of Beats around here though...don't hate!  

Users who are viewing this thread

Back