Beyer T70 or T70p
Jan 12, 2012 at 3:30 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

GL1TCH3D

Headphoneus Supremus
Hi Head-Fi,
I'm very interested in the Beyerdynamic T70 and T70p but I'm not sure which ones to choose...
I have an iPhone 4 that I'll be using to drive it with the possibility of a portable amp in the future (but not anytime soon). I'll be using them at home and occasionally on the go (train, bus).
Would either of these be good options for my use?
Which one will work best being driven straight from my iPhone and possibly with an amp in the future?
I listen to a wide range of music (though not rap).

Jan 12, 2012 at 3:44 PM Post #2 of 12
I have the T70p. I chose the "p" model because I wanted to be able to use them amped or unamped. The vast majority of my listening is amped in my office (the Audio-GD NFB-12 is a nice choice), but I still appreciate the ability to use them straight out of a portable device when necessary.

Jan 12, 2012 at 4:47 PM Post #5 of 12
I think the OP was looking for guidance when a combination of amped and unamped use is expected. If it was all portable use, it would be an easier proposition.

Here's the thing: the T70p sounds great amped. I think they scale up reasonably well: from sounding good without an amp, to sounding very good and somewhat fuller with more emphatic bass when amped. I haven't heard the T70 so I can't do a direct comparison, but everything I've read suggests that both versions share a virtually identical sound signature. I am therefore relatively certain that you're not "losing anything" by using the T70p in a stationary setting.

Jan 12, 2012 at 5:33 PM Post #6 of 12
I think the OP was looking for guidance when a combination of amped and unamped use is expected. If it was all portable use, it would be an easier proposition.

Here's the thing: the T70p sounds great amped. I think they scale up reasonably well: from sounding good without an amp, to sounding very good and somewhat fuller with more emphatic bass when amped. I haven't heard the T70 so I can't do a direct comparison, but everything I've read suggests that both versions share a virtually identical sound signature. I am therefore relatively certain that you're not "losing anything" by using the T70p in a stationary setting.

Thank you. Yea, I was looking for something like that because another thread I found here, I saw people recommending the t70 to someone that will be using it straight from the iphone saying "because of the high sensitivity the iphone should be able to run it" so I just wanted to make sure... Also, they're not too big for portable use?

Jan 12, 2012 at 6:12 PM Post #8 of 12
I don't find them too big when I'm wearing them, but they're a little cumbersome in the carrying case in my shoulder bag when not on my head.

They isolate pretty well -- better than my LA2000s, which are the only other closed can I've extensively used.

Jan 12, 2012 at 6:32 PM Post #9 of 12
I don't find them too big when I'm wearing them, but they're a little cumbersome in the carrying case in my shoulder bag when not on my head.

They isolate pretty well -- better than my LA2000s, which are the only other closed can I've extensively used.

Ah, that's good to hear. Thanks for replying so fast =]
I don't listen to music that loud so I hope I'll be fine... I know I hate it when I hear other people's music.

Jan 17, 2012 at 6:25 AM Post #10 of 12

Quote:
Thank you. Yea, I was looking for something like that because another thread I found here, I saw people recommending the t70 to someone that will be using it straight from the iphone saying "because of the high sensitivity the iphone should be able to run it" so I just wanted to make sure... Also, they're not too big for portable use?

Hi

I ordered the t70p, but  got the t70 delivered by mistake. I have now been using them for 2 weeks and running them from iPhone, iPad and my Benchmark Dac1 with no problems at all.
They are very sensitive and poses no problem for the portable devices even playing at high volume settings. So I am keeping the t70.
Isolation BTW is very, very good.

cheers

Tom

Jan 17, 2012 at 9:11 AM Post #11 of 12

Hi

I ordered the t70p, but  got the t70 delivered by mistake. I have now been using them for 2 weeks and running them from iPhone, iPad and my Benchmark Dac1 with no problems at all.
They are very sensitive and poses no problem for the portable devices even playing at high volume settings. So I am keeping the t70.

cheers

Tom

See, this is what throws me off xD
I might take a leap of faith and go for the regular t70 then. My only question is why would they bother with a t70p if the t70 is already portable due to high sensitivity?

Also, I heard that the t70 bass is very weak but some people attribute this to a bad seal. What were your impressions on the bass and overall clarity with the T70?

Jan 17, 2012 at 11:33 AM Post #12 of 12

Quote:
Quote:

Hi

cheers

Tom

See, this is what throws me off xD
I might take a leap of faith and go for the regular t70 then. My only question is why would they bother with a t70p if the t70 is already portable due to high sensitivity?

Also, I heard that the t70 bass is very weak but some people attribute this to a bad seal. What were your impressions on the bass and overall clarity with the T70?

1) low impedance always includes i danger of phase errors. So I was quite pleased that the t70 was sensitive enough to be driven by my iPhone.

2) Like most closed back phones I have used, the t70 has plenty of low frequency output - and the associated lack of precision. The t70 doesn't lack bass, but it is not as well defined as in the better open back constructions. 

That's the price you pay for isolation - I guess :wink:

Cheers

Tom

Users who are viewing this thread

Back