Beyer T70 250Ohm: Is an Ipod Classic able to drive it?
May 18, 2012 at 9:02 AM Post #3 of 8
The T70 uses Tesla Technology, resulting in high efficiency drivers.  Yes, normally a 250Ohm requires an outboard amp, but ultimately the voltage magnitude the can needs to produce sound at a certain loudness is a function, not of the impedance, but of the efficiency.  Because of the high efficiency of the drivers in the T70 I am wondering whether an Ipod can drive them to average listening levels at no more than 75% max volume.

May 18, 2012 at 9:21 AM Post #4 of 8
Quote:
Because of the high efficiency of the drivers in the T70 I am wondering whether an Ipod can drive them to average listening levels at no more than 75% max volume.

It depends on what your average listening levels are; if you already use the iPod with other headphones, those could be used for comparison. If the iPod can output at least 0.5 Vrms without significant distortion, then that is enough for 104-105 dB peaks. Try it and decide if it is sufficient for you. If it is not, even a small portable amplifier can drive these headphones to ear damaging levels.

May 21, 2012 at 3:13 PM Post #6 of 8
The T70 sounds OK from my iPhone 4 but the soundstage and bas improves a lot from a great amplifier. But I do prefer T70p - even when using my home amplifier. If you are going to use it for transport why not choose T70p? It still sounds great at home - but the T70 does not sound that good if it is not paired with a good amp. So it is a yes and a no to your question :) Hope it makes sense?

May 22, 2012 at 3:20 AM Post #8 of 8
Quote:
I've decided to defer the acquisition of the T70.  I've gone with the DT770 Pro 250Ohm instead.  Cheers.

Ok. DT-770 is a completely different animal. Hope you enjoy it. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back