Beyer DT880
Sep 16, 2003 at 5:16 AM Post #16 of 28
I've been reading up on the DT880 for some time now and now have a pair en route from Headroom. The only feedback I gave during my online transaction is they need to offer a USPS option during the checkout process. It's really a pain to have to ship your order to someone in the states because FPO AP post offices, the AP one located right there in California, United States of America, only accept USPS and not FEDEX or UPS. I wrote this note in my comments and hopefully will get a reply.

Sep 16, 2003 at 5:25 AM Post #17 of 28
AdamZuf ,
I'm not a big fan of DT880's all metal design, but I'm a big fan of its sound. If you have seen Audio-Technica headphones in person, say A100ti or A1000, you will realize how headphones should look. The quality of material is very important to me. Look is not everything, but looks can be very pleasing. That's one of the reason that I probably going to keep the A100ti as long as I can. I know the DT880 is built to last, but that cheapie headband, I paid 210 dollars for that you know. Senn HD-600 use a much higher grade materials. For me the best of form and function would be, CD3000's sound in A100ti housing.

Purk

Purk

Sep 16, 2003 at 5:37 AM Post #18 of 28
i agree about the headband - but everything else is of very good quality, and that headband is very easy replacable.
but bottom line - they will last longer in hard conditions. you have to be least careful with the DT880. that's build quality. i had the senns, and they are much more fragile.
and about that Audio Technica - i don't even want to get into the wooden stuff. also heard about cracks and some sorts of defects in Audio Technica - not very exciting!

Sep 16, 2003 at 6:01 AM Post #19 of 28
Quote:

Originally posted by thongjunkie
and even though you changed your mind a week later -lol- i still enjoy reading your enthusiasm when you get a new toy. and i can tell that your really enjoy sharing your opinion and views of whatever it is that you have recently purchased. so lou dont let anyone on here or anywhere for that matter take away from your enjoyment.

i'm not in for that style, sorry. i think memebers should try to make sure that their opinion is solid enough to be posted.
i believe that one should own the piece of gear he's talking about at least 2-3 weeks to tell the about-right story. it's very important to remember that you might mislead someone. i'm not perfect either with this - but i try.
i don't like "first impressions" threads too much, to be honest.
i would prefer people to just take the time to write a real, deep review, that contains all of their "mature" thoughts about the products.

Sep 16, 2003 at 10:40 PM Post #20 of 28
Quote:

I know the DT880 is built to last, but that cheapie headband, I paid 210 dollars for that you know.

The product specifications say the headband is removable, and one of the features: Easy servicing / all parts replaceable.

dt880_bg.jpg

Sep 17, 2003 at 2:02 AM Post #21 of 28
yeah i got the CD3000 now and i like the way the beyers are build much more.

Sep 17, 2003 at 6:33 AM Post #23 of 28
Purk,

do you consider the DT880 headband better or worse than the DT831/DT931 headband? how would you equate it to the HD600 or CD3000 headband? And how would you compare the pads?

Sep 17, 2003 at 6:52 AM Post #24 of 28
Wallijon,

I can't comment anyting on the DT-831 or DT-931, however, I can give you some insight on the headbacnd on HD-600 and CD3000.

Due to better suport on the cusion and better fabric selection, the HD-600's headband is much more comfortable than a cheapie pleather headband on the DT-880. If I'm not mistaken, the headband on the HD-600 can also be replaced. On the other hand, the CD3000 does not come w/ any cushion, however, it comes w/ a leather band that adjust automatically to fit the contour of your head.

As for the earpads, the DT-880 velour earpads are firmer while the one on HD600s are crisper and has softer cusion inside. Again, this is my opinion only. DT-880 is an excellent sounding headphones, but the built quality is just not up to the level of the HD-600 let alone the Audio-Technica products.

Purk

Sep 17, 2003 at 8:24 AM Post #25 of 28
Purk,

I feel that the DT880 headband gives me top-of-the-head burn (during prolonged listening), and extending the metal extenders and their 1/2 size dots are a pain. And unless you manually open up the band it does tend to exert a little too much lateral pressure.

But I consider it a quality part, compared to the DT831/DT931.

Sep 17, 2003 at 9:58 AM Post #26 of 28
Quote:

Originally posted by LTUCCI1924
AdamZuf
HI: How are you? Congrats on the CD3000. I also like the built of the 880s better and also like the comfort much better on the 880s over the 3000. Can you compare the sound of the two cans and tell what you think about what each has to offer. And wich one you like best. Thank you.

i won't post my thoughts now.. i like both very much. i haven't tested them both on enough gear. i'll get my EMP in the end of the week. and i'll try to get a solid state itegrated amp that impressed me with the DT880. i won't comment now on who got bigger soundstage, naturalness, tonal balance, frequency extensions etc.
what i CAN say, is that from the mid bass to the bass registers, the sony's are very different in their behaviour from the beyers and senns. a lot their space and soundstage firmness comes very much from the ~300Hz -> ~500Hz range (i can call it: "the sony's vision"). the reponse in this range to different sounds gives me a certain space that the beyers gives at bit higher frequencies. (i can think of wallijohn's saying that the sony's are better from male vocals, the beyers for female)
the sony's feel like they exhale sounds because of their unique mid-bass response - the beyers and senns sounds more uptight (but that doesn't meen, more controlled!) - like they inhale. it's up to you if you feel that, and to decide which one is your cup of tea.
i don't know if the sony's are more relaxing - the beyer's smoothness really balance things up with their feminine character.
i'll have to find out with lots of recordings - but by now, with the few albums i heard on the sony's, which is more relaxing depends on the music a lot. descision later - and always to take it with a grain of salt - especially when it comes to psychology.

as far as comfort goes, thumbs up to the DT880 above all of the others, even though the headband is the weak side of them.

Sep 17, 2003 at 12:22 PM Post #27 of 28
oh, and the cable on the CD3000 sucks IMHO. it's 1 sided, but i really prefer the 1 sided phone-like cable of the beyers - that warns you before you might tear it away from the earcup because it streches.. and it always maintains its form. i have no problem that it's short. my rig is next to my bed and computer, and i can hang around in the house with my MD+porta corda without extra cable buggin me. just personal preference for the beyers here. otoh, the cable of the sony's is longer (3m or so), that's an advantage sometimes. we'll see if i keep faithful to the beyers here.
the pads of the sony gets hoter (leather? fake leather? sorry i don't know too much about that stuff) - they are not velour, as the beyers. there's a lot of pad surface touching your head, and a stronger clamping force, these are other reasons.

clamping force (strong to weak):
1.HD600/CD3000 - about the same| 2.DT880

headband comfort (best to worst):
1.CD3000| 2.HD600| 3.DT880

Oct 16, 2003 at 5:58 AM Post #28 of 28
I was this close (pointer to thumb 1" apart) to returning my DT880s after using them with my profile CD player/receiver and SH Sunrise extension cord. I'm glad I waited. I really did not like the way the bass was undefined and muddied. Very noticeable with some rock and classical recordings. Either the Sunrise or the 880 burn in cured this, either way they sound great now. The comfort is very nice as long as you don't get into any high temperature/humidity situations, which is not a problem for my recliner location. They take the spot as one of my top two headphones.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back