Beyer DT770 vs. DT880... sonically similar / different?
Apr 18, 2010 at 3:29 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 28

shane55

Headphoneus Supremus
Thanks to all I've been getting advice from.
beerchug.gif

I've been enjoying my DT880's for several days now. They are very clean, airy, mostly 'accurate' (natural?), and very comfortable.

I'll keep these.

For a set of closed back cans, I was wondering if the DT770's would sonically be much different? I'd appreciate a slight reduction in high's as the DT880's are a bit too bright. A slight increase in bass would be fine... so long as it's not too much. I'm not a bass-head.

Anyone know both of these well enough to evaluate the differences?

Also, if not the DT770, what closed cans will provide me a similar sonic signature or level of accuracy?

Thanks again
beyersmile.png

shane

Apr 18, 2010 at 3:36 PM Post #2 of 28
My DT770 Pro 80s sound VERY different from the DT880s, though I have consumer 32 ohm DT880s.

I find the differences make them compliment each other well, though the DT770 Pros may be too bass heavy for you. I hear the Consumer version is more balanced, which may make them similar to the DT880s but closed.

I love them both, BECAUSE they sound different. The DT770s are definitely warmer, and the highs aren't as fatiguing as the DT880s.

Apr 18, 2010 at 3:47 PM Post #3 of 28
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mad Lust Envy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
My DT770 Pro 80s sound VERY different from the DT880s, though I have consumer 32 ohm DT880s.

I find the differences make them compliment each other well, though the DT770 Pros may be too bass heavy for you. I hear the Consumer version is more balanced, which may make them similar to the DT880s but closed.

I love them both, BECAUSE they sound different. The DT770s are definitely warmer, and the highs aren't as fatiguing as the DT880s.

Thanks... yes, I'd be looking at the Consumer 250ohm version. For different, I also got the ATH-M50's. For fun and more portability.
icon10.gif
(But that's for a different topic)

shane

Apr 18, 2010 at 3:50 PM Post #4 of 28
I too owned the M50s, and I find the DT770 Pro to be similar in sound with just a tad more bass. I honestly wouldn't tell anyone to get the DT770 Pro if they own the M50s. They sound too similar, IMHO.

Apr 18, 2010 at 3:51 PM Post #5 of 28
graphCompare.php

Is this an accurate depiction??
My guess is that this would be the Pro 80's you have.

shane

Apr 18, 2010 at 3:51 PM Post #6 of 28
Quote:

I too owned the M50s, and I find the DT770 Pro to be similar in sound with just a tad more bass. I honestly wouldn't tell anyone to get the DT770 Pro if they own the M50s. They sound too similar, IMHO.

Now THAT is great to know. I may have killed two birds with one purchase.
icon10.gif

shane

Apr 18, 2010 at 3:53 PM Post #7 of 28
More like:

19s2ly.png

That's pretty accurate. The DT770 and M50 are VERY comparable. The sound signature of the DT880 is different, but it may be more because it's open vs. closed.

The only reason I sold my M50s, is because I found the DT770 to be more comfy, though just by a very little bit. I like more bass too. Other than that, the M50 is an absolute steal for the price.

Apr 18, 2010 at 4:46 PM Post #8 of 28
Quote:

I have the 250 ohm DT880, and they sound VERY different from the DT770/80 Pro, too.

The DT770/80 Pro has been relegated to gaming use and/or the headphone I put on my 3 year old when he demands to listen to what I am listening to. For example, it was sitting on my desk and I was too lazy to plug the DT880 in to listen to some Elvis Costello. I put on the DT770/80 Pro, and halfway through "I Can't Stand Up for Falling Down" I had to take them off and plug the DT880 in.

Have you checked out the Denon AH-D2000? I purchased them because I wanted a closed can that had some good bass and didn't terribly color the sound like the DT770/80 Pro. I have not tried them yet (they are in transit), but check out the graph on Headphone.com and read some reviews. It might interest you. You can get them at Headphone.com for $299 USD if you call, or J&R for $249 if you give them a call, too.

Apr 18, 2010 at 4:59 PM Post #9 of 28
When it comes to graphs versus personal experience, there's nothing quite like that good, old, personal experience. Looking at the graph, I'd have thought the 770 would be an interesting experience, but reading the personal experience (plus the observation that the 880s are open), I'm now laboring under the delusion that the 880s would be more to my liking.

Apr 18, 2010 at 5:15 PM Post #10 of 28
The DT880s have more of an audiophile sound to me compared to the DT770s. Th DT770s sound more like a consumer-oriented headphone, where it's emphasized on bass. Still, the DT770s are quite clear and fun, just not as clear and balanced as the DT880s.

Apr 18, 2010 at 6:59 PM Post #11 of 28
Quote:

Originally Posted by luckybaer /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Have you checked out the Denon AH-D2000? I purchased them because I wanted a closed can that had some good bass and didn't terribly color the sound like the DT770/80 Pro. I have not tried them yet (they are in transit), but check out the graph on Headphone.com and read some reviews. It might interest you. You can get them at Headphone.com for $299 USD if you call, or J&R for $249 if you give them a call, too.

Haven't checked them out in person... but I have been reading reviews for them as an alternate as well. They have gotten some good reviews. And yes I have seen their graph. Looks good.
wink.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bilavideo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
When it comes to graphs versus personal experience, there's nothing quite like that good, old, personal experience. Looking at the graph, I'd have thought the 770 would be an interesting experience, but reading the personal experience (plus the observation that the 880s are open), I'm now laboring under the delusion that the 880s would be more to my liking.

Yeah, I know... it's just a pictorial representation of measurements that may or may not have any meaning whatsoever
wink.gif

That said, I use them only for comparison purposes. I see the line that the DT880's create, and knowing (though only for a few days) their overall sonic signature... if they look like 'this', and the DT770 looks like 'that', it just gives me a point of reference.
Absolutely, ears are the only things that matter.

BTW, I'm still 'burning-in' the DT880's, but I really think they are great for the music I mostly listen to. (Classical, acoustic, Jazz... some rock and punk-ska).

Quote:

The DT880s have more of an audiophile sound to me compared to the DT770s. Th DT770s sound more like a consumer-oriented headphone, where it's emphasized on bass. Still, the DT770s are quite clear and fun, just not as clear and balanced as the DT880s.

Yeah... I think I'll stick with my DT880's and the M50's that are coming early next week. They'll be more for fun and isolation.
beyersmile.png

shane

Apr 18, 2010 at 7:03 PM Post #12 of 28
graphCompare.php

Sure... it's just a graph. But if it's any indication of the type of sound it produces, that could be very good as it looks like it reduces the brightness of the DT880's.
But again it's just a graph.

Anyone compare these two for sound quality and comfort?
confused_face_2.gif

shane

Apr 18, 2010 at 7:04 PM Post #13 of 28
It would depend on the DT770 version you were comparing your DT880s to. I recently picked up a set of the 600 ohm 2005 Premium DT770s and yes they are very similar to the 600 ohm 2005 Premium DT880s.

Their bass is not as boomy as the Pro 80ohm versions. I would say that for a closed headphone, they are the most balanced I've heard to date (the second most balanced would be the SRH840s).

They are super comfortable (just like the DT880s, consumer versions) and I would highly recommend them with a good tube amp.

Apr 18, 2010 at 7:09 PM Post #14 of 28
Quote:

Originally Posted by MacedonianHero /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It would depend on the DT770 version you were comparing your DT880s to. I recently picked up a set of the 600 ohm 2005 Premium DT770s and yes they are very similar to the 600 ohm 2005 Premium DT880s.

Their bass is not as boomy as the Pro 80ohm versions. I would say that for a closed headphone, they are the most balanced I've heard to date (the second most balanced would be the SRH840s).

They are super comfortable (just like the DT880s, consumer versions) and I would highly recommend them with a good tube amp.

OK... well that's something to consider, and that's why I started this thread.
I have the DAC1-Pre. No tubes.

Have you heard the D2000 or even the 250ohm version of the DT770?

thanks.

shane

Apr 18, 2010 at 7:19 PM Post #15 of 28
Quote:

Originally Posted by shane55 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
OK... well that's something to consider, and that's why I started this thread.
I have the DAC1-Pre. No tubes.

Have you heard the D2000 or even the 250ohm version of the DT770?

thanks.

shane

Hi Shane:

The 250 ohm DT770s were quite similar to the 600 ohm version, overall though, I do prefer the 600 ohm version. The sound stage seems bigger with a quicker response. Driving either the 250 or 600 ohm headphones is about the same. The 600 ohm drivers are very efficient and I set my volume dial to the same setting for either the 250 or 600.

The Denons are completely different animals. I have not heard the D2000s, but used to own the D7000s and they are a very fun (but not balanced) headphone with boomy bass, slightly recessed mids with sparkling treble.

Comfort wise, I still prefer the beyer DT770s, but the D7000s were very comfortable too.

Hope that helps.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back