Beyer DT280-80...Give em Back?
Jan 17, 2004 at 3:14 AM Post #17 of 28
So now I have a v6 and a 250. The V6 sounds like poo compared to the 250. Its almost like the opposite. Screachingly high and no mids, 250 all mids. The v6 sounds okay for some music and painful for others. But since this is for a personal recoding studio I might keep the v6, well actually I cant return it, so whatever. But now I don't want to give back the 250. So I only needed one, and came out with two, possibly a few more?
Now I know why you guys say, "welcome head fi, sorry about your wallet"
When does it end?
DAMN YOU HEAD-FI!!!!!!!!

ummm, so is the e3 much better than the e2?

Jan 17, 2004 at 3:39 AM Post #18 of 28
Oh man, three for one?

Don't feel bad, some time ago I bought the K1000 and the HD600 the same week, intending to return whichever one was the lesser sound-wise. Still have 'em both!
biggrin.gif

Short and sweet on the DT250-80 vs the DT250-250:

The 80 ohm version has blurry bass, nonuniform highs, and fuzzy treble. The 250 ohm version has incredible bass that goes all the way to hell, a wonderful balance to the midrange, and wonderful balance and detail in the treble. I do not find these two models remotely similar in sound. otoh they look the same. Fit is a personal thing. I can wear them all day, and frequently do! The most similar sounding headphone to the 250-250 are my Ety ER4S, although the 250 has a more lively deep bass (fun factor).

gerG

Jan 17, 2004 at 3:57 AM Post #19 of 28
gerG - do the 250's fit completely over the ears, or do they rest on them? Just wondering.

meesha - Did you get your 250-80's from B&H? My box was also slightly worn, with no shrink wrap or anything. The headphones inside seemed mint though, I doubt anyone has used them before. And I'm happy with their sound so far. Also, was your cord sealed in a plastic baggie? Mine was... if yours wasn't, they might've been returned.

Jan 17, 2004 at 3:59 AM Post #20 of 28
Quote:

Originally posted by gerG
Oh man, three for one?

Don't feel bad, some time ago I bought the K1000 and the HD600 the same week, intending to return whichever one was the lesser sound-wise. Still have 'em both!
biggrin.gif

Short and sweet on the DT250-80 vs the DT250-250:

The 80 ohm version has blurry bass, nonuniform highs, and fuzzy treble. The 250 ohm version has incredible bass that goes all the way to hell, a wonderful balance to the midrange, and wonderful balance and detail in the treble. I do not find these two models remotely similar in sound. otoh they look the same. Fit is a personal thing. I can wear them all day, and frequently do! The most similar sounding headphone to the 250-250 are my Ety ER4S, although the 250 has a more lively deep bass (fun factor).

gerG

Has anyone tried turning a DT250-80 into a DT250-250?

Jan 17, 2004 at 4:19 AM Post #21 of 28
yeah mookid,
I actually went to the store, I complained about the box, so they brought up another one, and it was damaged as well, so I guess all the boxes were like that.
Is the 250-250 that much better?

Jan 17, 2004 at 5:18 AM Post #22 of 28
I've heard that the DT250-250 uses different drivers than DT250-80.

Jan 17, 2004 at 5:34 AM Post #23 of 28
Oh shoot, I meant nonuniform mids and fuzzy treble. Where has my mind gone?
(answer: out for more scotch, the Glenfarclas just ran out!).

The 250 and the 80 use different drivers. There are no resistors on either headphone. I am curious as well whether anyone has done a conversion. What is the price of a Beyer driver these days?

I forgot to mention, I tried both out of an ipod. Not only did the 250 sound better than the 80, it played almost as loud. The latter was a surprise, but I hadn't done the math. Come to think of it, I still haven't done the math. Anybody else looked at the db vs voltage for these visual but not audio twins?

gerG

Jan 17, 2004 at 6:16 AM Post #24 of 28
Great this really helps my decision, thanks gerG!! Now I just need to unload this 9700 AIW on someone before it goes the way of the tnt!

Jan 17, 2004 at 6:59 AM Post #25 of 28
I must confess that I came back to this thread so that I could stare at Jodiuh's avatar. Yeesh that girl is wicked!

Also I forgot to answer a question:

The DT250 fit around my ears. This is a very important issue. If they sit on your ears, it may cause both sonic and comfort issues. I have found that any headphones that press against the pinea will significantly alter my perception of sound. The DT250 is a small oval shape. If they don't fit around your ear, I would not recommend them. Time for something larger, like the DT831.

gerG

Jan 17, 2004 at 7:01 AM Post #26 of 28
The DT250-250 is going to keep the extremely "hot" midrange sound you hate so much. I don't know about the other aspects of its sound, but it should sound as "hot" as the DT250-80.

Cheers,
Geek

Jan 17, 2004 at 8:46 AM Post #27 of 28
Quote:

Originally posted by Geek
The DT250-250 is going to keep the extremely "hot" midrange sound you hate so much. I don't know about the other aspects of its sound, but it should sound as "hot" as the DT250-80.

Not really, because bass and treble are more up in comparision - and midrange also generally seemed a bit smoother on the DT250/250. Thus midrange doesn't stick out that much and sounds less pronounced...

Greetings from Munich!

Manfred / lini

Jan 17, 2004 at 8:26 PM Post #28 of 28
Quote:

Originally posted by gerG
Oh shoot, I meant nonuniform mids and fuzzy treble. Where has my mind gone?
(answer: out for more scotch, the Glenfarclas just ran out!).

The 250 and the 80 use different drivers. There are no resistors on either headphone. I am curious as well whether anyone has done a conversion. What is the price of a Beyer driver these days?

I forgot to mention, I tried both out of an ipod. Not only did the 250 sound better than the 80, it played almost as loud. The latter was a surprise, but I hadn't done the math. Come to think of it, I still haven't done the math. Anybody else looked at the db vs voltage for these visual but not audio twins?

gerG

Thanks for that info. I had a feeling that a simple resistor change wouldn't bring about those dramatic benefits. I'll have to consider my options from here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back